Hawke Airmax scope failure report

I had a Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO scope on a Gamo Whisper Wildcat .22 and really liked it for shooting pests and informal plinking around my property. For days that I didn't want to deal with the PCP's, it was great. Fast Forward to about 1200 pellets downrange and, after I took a shot, the scope went blurry. Nothing I could do would correct it so I sent it back to Hawke. Within 10 days they sent me a brand new scope but I am hesitant to put it back on this gun.

FYI, for an inexpensive break barrel, this rifle has been extremely accurate and very quiet. However, this is the third scope it has eaten. They were all mounted with steel BKL rings and there was no movement. I have owned many break barrel rifles over my 70 years but I never had any break scopes like this one has. It is especially concerning as this scope is recommended for hard shooting break barrels.

For now it is wearing a TRS 25 red dot which is much lighter but obviously doesn't have the accuracy potential of a scope. 

I believe Dianna makes a similar mount.

It's not about the cost of the gun. It's about how much you want to spend on scopes. 

What ever way you go as long as you're having fun is priority. Stay safe.

Xactly. Although, Hawke will keep replacing it if I want to use it as is. I really like the lighter weight of the Red Dot and my 70YO eyes can still shoot minute of squirrel head or crow head so I'm going to keep using the RD for a while and see how it works.

Would be interesting to see if the new model fails and how long they will continue to fix/ replace the scope. Might become a testement as to how good their warranty is.

True. I just came in from shooting 30 rounds with the Red Dot on it. I'm getting better with it as long as the light is not too bright. The TRS 25 red dot isn't that bright in the lower settings and the upper settings seem to flare too much. Shooting at a 4 inch black target in the shadows while leaning on my pickup bed cover, I can manage a one inch group minus a few close flyers. With the Airmax, I was shooting a ragged 1/4 inch hole at 25 yards. 

Hawke will not keep replacing them. The last time I sent mine back, they told me they would not repair or replace it, again- in writing. I was using the Airmax on my 350 Magnum Springers. I stopped buying Hawke products, there and then.

Just curious as to what brand you are currently using? I’ve got a TX200HC on loan from a guy I work with that says it won’t shoot. I’m suspect of the Hawke that’s on it but will know more this weekend. 

I’ve looked at scopes till I’m dizzy….so would like to hear your recommendation. Thanks 

I’ve got a Hawke Airmax 30 SF 4-16 that I just sent back to Hawke for warranty a few days ago. It made it about 300 pellets on my HW97 before it broke. Not really impressed at all with the Airmax but I really didn’t expect much given its price point.

What are you going to replace it with? As I stated above, I have a TX200HC on loan from a guy I work with that he claims won’t shoot consistently and I’m suspect of the cheaper series Hawke that’s currently on the rifle. Thanks 

I’ve got a Hawke Airmax 30 SF 4-16 that I just sent back to Hawke for warranty a few days ago. It made it about 300 pellets on my HW97 before it broke. Not really impressed at all with the Airmax but I really didn’t expect much given its price point.

What are you going to replace it with? As I stated above, I have a TX200HC on loan from a guy I work with that he claims won’t shoot consistently and I’m suspect of the cheaper series Hawke that’s currently on the rifle. Thanks

I’ve put an Athlon Midas Tac 6-24x50 FFP on my HW97. So far I’ve got about 700 shots on the scope with no issues. If Hawke sends me a new scope( I can’t imagine them trying to repair it, lots of debris on the inside of the lens and the windage turret broke) I’ll probably sell it and get another Athlon Midas and put it on my HW95. 

I’ve put an Athlon Midas Tac 6-24x50 FFP on my HW97. So far I’ve got about 700 shots on the scope with no issues. If Hawke sends me a new scope( I can’t imagine them trying to repair it, lots of debris on the inside of the lens and the windage turret broke) I’ll probably sell it and get another Athlon Midas and put it on my HW95.

Thanks for the info. I’ll check them out. 

coontz74- “Just curious as to what brand you are currently using? I’ve got a TX200HC on loan from a guy I work with that says it won’t shoot. I’m suspect of the Hawke that’s on it but will know more this weekend.”

We are using Vortex Diamondback Tactcal 4-16x44 on the RWS 350’s. No problems, so far. The recoil on RWS 350 is really something. Learning the artillery hold for the rifle was a bear,…

I have a utg 4x16x56 built in bubble level on my tx 200....I think if you go with the higher end utg your better off. This utg tracks perfect and as clear as my eyes can see plus it has a life warranty. If you are using a real hard recoil Springer then the utg would be my first choice but dont get the cheapest ones they sell.....pick the one you want online and shop around . I bought mine on amazon for $187 with prime free shipping . Ps try to get a 30mm model rather than a 1 inch version.

This is a pic of it ....I only own one utg and I have had zero buyers remorse . My friend has the same exact setup on his tx and keep in mind this exact setup won the US field target championship two yrs in a row a few yrs back.
20210926_100928.1632665631.jpg