• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

HAWKE AIRMAX 30SF

I purchased this scope about a year ago now and I am finally going to let you readers out there know about my thoughts on this scope. First of all I believe that the overall looks and function, and the glass is quite good. I love the focus adjustment with the big wheel on the left side of the scope.I do have a problem with the scope, and after contacting Hawke about it, I am not really pleased with the response I got from them. This is a 8-32 power optic. The scope is very clear, but when I bump it up to 32 power I am finding it difficult to see through it clearly. With any slight tilt of my head, or trying to center my eye in the scope I am getting a lot of blurring. I have to have my eye aligned perfect to get it clear. Trying to focus it also on my target really makes it difficult. If I drop the power setting down to like 20, I do not have a problem, and the scope functions perfectly.

I reached out to Hawke, and was told that this issue I am experiencing is quite common with this scope, and there is no fix to it. I was not entirely pleased with the answer I received from them seeing I have other makes of scopes in this power range and I don't experience this problem whatsoever. Again the price of these other optics are also much higher. If I would have known about this issue I would have either purchased the 24 power Airmax and saved me a few bucks, and ounces, or probably would have looked for a different scope. I was told that the sidewinder model which is a bit more expensive I would not experience this problem. I asked them for a switch of the scopes and I would pay a reasonable difference, but I guess my reasonable, and theirs is not even close for me to believe it is a fair solution.

So what I guess I am saying is this is a decent scope, as long as you don't go overboard on magnification.

I want to look into a better scope in the 32 power range and was just curious as to what you shooters would prefer. Please let me know.

Good shootin...

Condolences to you.

The Sidewinder 30 is a more forgiving scope and the 6-24x56 is clear pretty much all the way to 24x. Or buy an Aim Sport Alpha6 4.5-27x50 from EBay for $229 that's clear all the way to 27x with way better eye box throughout the entire zoom range from 4.5x all the way to 27x than any Hawkes at any price.

I can say that you won't feel bad selling that Hawke AirMax at a loss say $300-350 shipped after you compare it to the Alpha6 side by side and you have some money put back in your pocket too.

I would suggest the Sightron S-TAC 3-16x42 on super cheap sale at Midway $249.99 SFP non illuminated and $349.99 FFP Illuminated but looks like you prefer high magnification.

The only lowest priced scope that I would recommend based on clarity and brightness at 32x and above magnification would be the Sightron SIII 10-50x60 with the 11-13 yard focus or possibly the Athlon Cronus but 25 yard focus and 29x both at around $1200.00.

The Old Bushnell Elite 4200 8-32x40 front focus AO plex (NO Mildots available) or Burris Signature Rimfire Airgun 8-32x44 front focus AO with upgraded Mildot reticle from Burris 10 yard to 100 yard focus would be the first top 2 cheapest clear at 32x options but they are long discontinued.

Great info and thank you. I may just do that. Are you a salesperson for the Aim Sport Alpha??..LOL. I am not looking to save a few bucks and purchase a cheaper scope. I also do not need magnification to 32 power. I just felt that the difference in price from the 24 power to the 32 power was not significant enough to NOT get the 32 power. I have this scope on a 25 caliber FX Crown. My shooting hardly ever exceeds 50 yards.

I have an older Weaver V-16 scope I was thinking about putting it on the Crown, but again I love the big focusing wheel on the Airmax, and as long as I stay 20 power and less, it does fine.

But I will still check out the scope you suggested. Also maybe give them a call.

Thanks again!!

Great info and thank you. I may just do that. Are you a salesperson for the Aim Sport Alpha??..LOL. I am not looking to save a few bucks and purchase a cheaper scope. I also do not need magnification to 32 power. I just felt that the difference in price from the 24 power to the 32 power was not significant enough to NOT get the 32 power. I have this scope on a 25 caliber FX Crown. My shooting hardly ever exceeds 50 yards.

I have an older Weaver V-16 scope I was thinking about putting it on the Crown, but again I love the big focusing wheel on the Airmax, and as long as I stay 20 power and less, it does fine.

But I will still check out the scope you suggested. Also maybe give them a call.

Thanks again!!

Use forum search see what actual owners have to say about the scope regardless of cheap price or scroll the optics forum pages. I sure wish I had taken a look at the Alpha6 before buying my Sidewinder 30 at more than double the price.

The Aims company is also proven to be customer friendly as well in a very meaningful way when it comes to customer satisfaction and quality control.

I have no vested interest nor gain from the sale of Alpha6 scopes nor EBay nor anything I suggest on this forum since I buy them just like everyone else does and don't get free stuff to give good reviews either nor resell them for profit. 

I strongly believe why sell or market scopes that aren't clear all the way to MAX POWER? There are cheaper ones out there that actually do even more so than expensive ones. If I wanted a blurry high mag scope I would buy a $150 UTG SWAT 8-32x56 when on sale from DVOR (or was it $120?) at least it's ok until 24x.

It is simply ripping the customer off not being clear all the way to max power IMHO especially if you are paying a premium price when there are other cheaper brands that are clear all the way throughout its entire zoom range for less money. If an 8-32x clear only from 8-20x they should market it as an 8-20x and price it appropriately. I recently bought a $399 Discovery HD 34mm 5-30x56 that's clear from 5-20x (actually 20x is really stretching its limits). At least it's not $650 like the MTC VIPER PRO 5-30x50 that's only clear from 5-20x.

I bought a $60 Aliexpress 30mm 10-40x56 side focus that's just as clear as the 34mm Discovery HD 5-30x56 up to 20x. They should have marketed it as a 10-20x56. It is worth paying extra for the $150 (or $120?) UTG 8-32x56 SWAT from DVOR at least it's clear up to 24-25x and priced according to what you really get.

The Mueller 8-32x44 is not bad either for $259 or $219 if shopping smart at least its clear almost till 30x with a finiky eyebox but for a few dollars more the Alpha6 SMOKES IT.

The Falcon GEN1 looks Like a Discovery HD and if it's like mine ($399 34mm 5-30x56) it's clear from 5 to 20x.

The Gen2 looks like the Vector Optics version. For the price just over $400 USD I won't expect it to be clear past 20x. I would buy 2 Alpha6 4.5-27x50 at least I know how clear they are all the way to 27x unlike most other higher priced scopes that aren't clear all the way to max power.

Buy it from a return friendly dealer then just return it if it's not 100% clear all the way to 30x (99% sure it won't IMHO even if it was the Vector 34mm selling at half price) that's what I usually do I crank the zoom to max power first nowdays to be sure they are clear at max power when deciding to keep them.

You want a sure thing clear all the way buy the Discovery HD 30mm 4-20x50 FFP whoops the butt of the 34mm Discovery HD 5-30x56 but the Alpha6 is still better brighter and clearer and way better eyebox too at all zoom power levels from minimum to maximum one of the most friendly eyebox I have ever seen.

The Falcon Gen. 1 5-30x56 FFP looks Like a Discovery HD

and if it's like mine ($399 34mm 5-30x56) it's clear from 5 to 20x.

The Gen. 2 looks like the Vector Optics version.

For the price just over $400 I won't expect it to be clear past 20x. I would buy 2 Alpha6 4.5-27x50 at least I know how clear they are all the way to 27x unlike most other higher priced scopes that aren't clear all the way to max power.

You want a sure thing clear all the way buy the Discovery HD 30mm 4-20x50 FFP whoops the butt of the 34mm Discovery HD 5-30x56.

But the Alpha6 is still better brighter and clearer and way better eyebox too at all zoom power levels from minimum to maximum one of the most friendly eyebox I have ever seen.

Odoyle,

you are the man! I hadn't even notices that Falcon brought out a Generation 2 of the 5-30x56! 😄

Thanks! And I appreciate your comments and estimation so glass quality. 👍🏼

🔶The Gen. 2 Falcon now has:

▪12 mil per turret revolution (like the top tier scopes).

▪It now has a 34mm tube — which adds 40 moa elevation adjustment (a total of 90 moa).

▪This adds 3.5oz, but still 1.2" shorter.

▪It now has a grid style reticle. It't keeping the thick outside posts so the crosshairs still work well at low magnifications.

🔶 Gen. 1: Scopes that could be cousins from the same production line:

▪Discovery HD 34mm ➔ can't be, as Gen. 1 has a 30mm tube

▪Vector Taurus (but has IR)

▪Swampfox Kentucky Long (but has IR)

What do you think?

🔶 Gen. 2: Scopes that could be cousins from the same production line

▪Discovery HD 34mm (but has IR)

▪Hi-Lux Phenom (but has IR)

▪Vector Continental 34mm (but is 7.5oz lighter?)

What do you think?

Odoyle, you recommend the Alpha6, and I trust you that it has simly jaw-dropping glass quality for that price.... 👍🏼😄 I just wish this would work for me!

But I really want FFP.....

And the Falcon S line (incl. the 3-18x50) has features that I just must have: 

▪reticle with thick outside posts

▪lots of elevation adjustment

▪a wide FoV at the bottom magnification

➔ And then some features that almost no other scope in that price class has....:

▪10-mil turrets (or more! — instead of 6-mil)

▪Turret turn counters

It's exciting to be an airgunner at this time — so many good products, at very reasonable prices! 😄

Matthias

Buy it from a return friendly dealer just don't mount it but you may not be as picky as I am. I crank all the scopes to max power FIRST to decide whether to keep or return. 90% or so gets returned because they aren't clear all the way to max power and are way more expensive than the Alpha6 and thats really shameful. I expect them to be clearer and brighter at max power than the Alpha6 especially since they cost more.

What's the point of buying scopes that are not clear all the way at maximum power anyway? If thats the case may as well spend as little as possible like a Leapers SWAT or a $100 scope from Aliexpress instead.

I have already witnessed several minorities that are actually clear all the way to max power but most sub $1000 scopes can't do it. Not even the Bushnell TAC Japan made 4.5-30x50 that's $599 clearance that retails for $1300-$1400 isn't clear all the way and disappointed paying $599 for it.

I sure wish I had bought the Alpha6 first then I wouldn't have bought so many of the $599 Japan Bushnells. I can see better detail at 27x max with the A6 than the Bushnell at the same power.