• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Having trouble with simple concept

I had trouble interpreting turrets in the beginning. UP/DOWN does that mean it moves the point of impact, or the direction of the sight? Because what's up for one, is down for the other. 

It seems the convention on all turrets is for it to be describing the point of impact change. 

If you really want to be certain, one thing you could do is put your gun in a clamp, point a laser down your barrel, and adjust the turret adjusters, watching how the sight moves in relation to the laser pointer on your wall. That sorts it out quickly. I have not seen turrets that behave in any other way than what Booder98 describes.

Turrets have nothing to do with POI. The scope adjusts Point of Aim. Point of IMPACT is purely determined by ballistics.

Put your RIFLE in a vise and lock it down. Shoot at the target. Move the cross hairs anywhere you want and shoot again... and if the gun has not moved between shots the POI will not move. Take the scope off the gun....the next pellet wil hit the same place as the one shot with the scope. Ipso facto, ergo and Pepto Bismol.....the scope has nothing to do with point of IMPACT.

You adjust point of AIM. There are many videos on the Utube that will illustrate how to zero your scope.

Turrets have nothing to do with POI. The scope adjusts Point of Aim. Point of IMPACT is purely determined by ballistics.

Put your scope in a vise and lock it down. Shoot at the target. Move the cross hairs anywhere you want and shoot again... and if the gun has not moved between shots the POI will not move. Take the scope off the gun....the next pellet wil hit the same place as the one shot with the scope. Ipso facto, ergo and Peto Bismol.....the scope has nothing to do with point of IMPACT.

You adjust point of AIM. There are many videos on the Utube that will illustrate how to zero your scope.

Really? LOL!

I think, and I may be wrong, that the OP was unsure which way to adjust the turret(s) to get the POA to match the POI.

Not saying you are wrong, but I think you are confusing some folks.

Basically, for any scope I have ever owned, the direction indicated on the turret is to adjust for the POI. In other words, if you adjust the turret UP (as indicated on the turret) the POI will go UP accordingly. Same for windage, etc.

This is a question often asked by folks not experienced with using scopes. It is something we all went through at some point.

This is how i was taught . aim at the bullseye dead center with your gun in a rest (so gun does not move) shoot . DO NOT MOVE THE GUN. looking through the scope turn the turrets till your crosshairs are on the POI (point of impact ) moveing the gun, re-aim the gun till on center target . Shoot . you should be very close to dead center . RE-do if necessary.

So I am trying to sight in my gun at 25 yards. 

I am hitting 6” LOW at 25 yards. 

My mind tells me if I bring my cross hair DOWN, I will be able to shoot higher at 25 yards in subsequent shots. 

Am I right or wrong? 

Thanks

To answer your question as I understand it, yes... If you are speaking about "adjusting" your reticle in you scope. You need to turn 96 clicks "down." this will be counter clock wise. I am assuming your scope is 1/4 MoA..

lol, 'monstrum' is a good brand to blow all the aforementioned concepts out of the water ..the ones i have are backwards, i go crosseyed and swear everytime i sight one in lol ... another simple procedure that works good for an offhand quick zero, but only on a higher power scope, is to find a nice sandy flat spot at aroumd your desired zero range and just see where it hits through the scope and dial it on in ...

POA vs POI. I shoot and the shot hits an inch low from where I aimed. Assume I'm cheap or impatient, and don't have a bench rest more sophisticated than a rolled-up towel. And I look at my scope, and it says UP is clockwise. I crank it a bunch of clicks UP, aim at the same spot, and shoot. Now the shot hits a half-inch low. I crank it UP some more, aim at the same target, and shoot. Now it hits exactly where I aimed. Did my POA move? Did my POI move?

I know that I'm not magically dragging the POI around; that I'm changing the POI by changing the location of the reticle. But if I think of it like that, I will get confused by that UP and RIGHT on the turret. And I've done that, especially L or R. "The reticle is moving left so the impact is moving right so I turn the turret left to move right, right?"

For the sake of simplicity just MAKE BELIEVE the turrets are "moving" your POI. If POI is left of bullseye, you want to "move" it RIGHT. If below bullseye, you want to "move" it up. Just "make believe " that's how it works & it's simple. Forget all the technical explanations. Just act as if the knobs are always moving POI , right, left, up or down. Use turrets accordingly to "move" POI where you want it! It's that simple & doesn't need to be confusing or complicated!!! The knobs & their Left, Right, Up, Down indicators are "asking" you which way you want to move POI.