Haven’t posted here in a while…a question for the machining experts and anyone else who wants to chime in…in regards to polishing…

So I ran into a guy who claims my polishing job is “pretty poopty.” This individual claims my polish isn’t a mirror finish and lacks the factory luster. But, I’ve compared my work to a factory finish (The last picture is factory finish from a video I watched)…and I honestly cannot see what I’m missing. They want me to send my parts to them so they can polish it on a lathe…but I’m also using machining equipment!

This is the piston tube/housing from a Walther LGU. It was rusted and I attempted a repair on my own as I have repaired a few Weihrauch rifles, a Diana 34, and TX200 in the past. Let me know what you think…one opinion isn’t going to cut it for me. The first picture is a second polish I just did again.

94BAC3AD-4D5B-4BC2-87B1-C3882694E81B.jpeg

13BCA847-3603-4EFF-8A70-769EFEAB1ECB.jpeg

1512BE2F-9974-44C7-821E-2217EFF429B6.jpeg

31A9B9E6-D601-4794-9488-F6BBDC1B8F35.jpeg

9EDBC45B-00B5-45C3-85D8-4A1969837B12.jpeg

This last picture is from a video I watched to compare my work to a factory finish…as you can see it looks to be pretty identical.

Last edited:
Hold on.

Before rusted tube was in a 5.5mm gun.

After 2nd pic shows a 4.5mm gun with OEM stock screw and the pic above it shows a poor fitting screw cup.

What exactly is going on here?
It’s the same gun. Both pictures are the same 5.5mm…those are pictures from the seller that I bought it from. The brass cup and screws are from a Weihrauch…but I decided to throw it on as the OEM screws were rusted…the poor fitting doesn’t bother me

image.jpg

Hold on.

Before rusted tube was in a 5.5mm gun.

After 2nd pic shows a 4.5mm gun with OEM stock screw and the pic above it shows a poor fitting screw cup.

What exactly is going on here?
You can ask the seller yourself…if you want to verify. Link below.

It’s the same gun. Both pictures are the same 5.5mm…those are pictures from the seller that I bought it from. The brass cup and screws are from a Weihrauch…but I decided to throw it on as the OEM screws were rusted…the poor fitting doesn’t bother me

View attachment 314859

Same gun?

70D517E9-6869-43BC-A30D-2051861D13A8.jpeg
FAFEC0C3-4A45-4031-8D7D-CBAD268C2DC3.jpeg

Oh if you read my paragraph again…this is the factory finish I was comparing to from a different rifle.

“This individual claims my polish isn’t a mirror finish and lacks the factory luster. But, I’ve compared my work to a factory finish (The last picture is factory finish from a video I watched)”

Oh if you read my paragraph again…this is the factory finish I was comparing to from a different rifle.

“This individual claims my polish isn’t a mirror finish and lacks the factory luster. But, I’ve compared my work to a factory finish (The last picture is factory finish from a video I watched)”
My bad, overlooked that! Thank you for pointing that out.

I was a professional firearms refinisher. I reblued firearms and airguns and I can tell you without hesitation that your polishing work is excellent. I used to offer several grades of finishing, from bead blasted to a high luster finish equal to the finish quality of a TX200 if not superior. Yours is nothing short of a professional job. Congratulations on restoring the beauty of a fine airgun.

Last edited:
Like razor62 said you did a fine job!
I to used to work for gun refinishing shop in Florida!
I almost grabbed that gun up myself but ended up buying something else!
Thought about doing a carbon fiber wrap on the barrel and cocking arm! But probably could cold blue it and make satisfactory for a hunting gun! Those LGUs are getting pretty hard to come by!

Reactions: Maizen
I was a professional firearms refinisher. I reblued firearms and airguns and I can tell you without hesitation that your polishing work is excellent. I used to offer several grades of finishing, from bead blasted to a high luster finish equal to the finish quality of a TX200 if not superior. Yours is nothing short of a professional job. Congratulations on restoring the beauty of a fine airgun.
Thank you 🥹

Reactions: razor62
Like razor62 said you did a fine job!
I to used to work for gun refinishing shop in Florida!
I almost grabbed that gun up myself but ended up buying something else!
Thought about doing a carbon fiber wrap on the barrel and cocking arm! But probably could cold blue it and make satisfactory for a hunting gun! Those LGUs are getting pretty hard to come by!
I was thinking of cold bluing…then covering the underlever and barrel with a white heat shrink. Would give it a FT springer look…well it’s my 21 years of age idea so might just be appealing to me haha

If they want you to send the parts to them, then I would assume that this person made this claim by your pictures. The only way someone could make this claim would be by personally inspecting it. Pictures are not sufficient. If this is the case I would question his/her credibility. If they did indeed actually inspect the quality of the polishing maybe they see minor marks/flaws we cannot see in the pictures. It looks good by the pictures to me also.

Reactions: Maizen