• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Have you ever had a pellet that was unbelievably inaccurate?

While doing some pellet testing in my Umarex fusion, I ran some Crossman HP's through it. I couldn't believe what I saw. At 20 yards, I was getting 4" groups.
Not talking about a majority of the pellets stacked and a few flew away. This a 4" group that had every shot randomly flying somewhere.
Something I never saw on any gun. ​

MOD EDIT: Moved to "Pellets, projectiles, & ammo"

I have some Beeman H&N wadcutter that absolutely will not shoot accurately out of any of my guns (I have quite a few). When you look at them, they are obviously a well made pellet. It must be the shape that makes them inaccurate. Its a head scratcher. The Crosman HP's always perform at least OK and even dead accurate in some of my guns. To see them scatter like birdshot surprises me.

Back in the day, the old Crosman Super Pell was a piece of fungus, when shot in my old Winchester mod 435 and FWB 124 ----- almost every other pellet I shot in these guns was a winner .. Funny how some pellets work in some guns and some turn your rifle into a shotgun ;- ) The CPHP in most of my guns shoots pretty good, not match accuracy, but good enough to use in the field.

wll

"Have you ever had a pellet that was unbelievably inaccurate?"
This question is incorrectly formulated, It shoulds read:
"Have you ever had a pellet that was unbelievably accurate?"

Unfortunately, there are very many pellets on the market, which are very inaccurate :/
I know +25 Pellet varieties they are very inaccurate!
For example, some Flathead pellets at longer distance are very inaccurate.

I shot JSB's 25.4 and 33.95 today. 50- 75- and 115 yds. On my property, no wind. 50 yds both were very accurate. Then I shot 115 yds, which the targets are on the other side of the river. I've shot these targets many times, but today both were all over the place. Usually the heavies are more accurate , but not today?? Best group was 2 inches, worst were 5 inches. I can't explain it. I'm confused. Then I shot 75 yds and groups weren't too bad. Not as good as they usually are. I cleaned the barrel before I went out. Usually I shoot 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 inch group's at 115 so I don't know what happened today.

Bought a tin of Ruger super points at walmart because it was the only .22 pellet they had in stock and my new rifle (Daystate Regal XL) was coming in the mail the next day. They were rough going into the chamber and did well to hit a pie plate at 50 yards. I had to single load them and take special care not to get them crooked. When pushed with the pellet probe they would cock sideways every time when they hit the barrel.

CricketWhat are the most commonly accurate pellet brands? I would say:

1. Air Arms
2. JSB
3. H&N

Any objections?

H&N always are delivered with the least amount of damage, are the best "looking" pellets but they seem to deliver "meh" performance. I try them when nothing else seems to be working and they usually disappoint. Not bad accuracy but there is usually a cheaper pellet that does just as good or better.

I had a few top secret laser guided pellets to test for the Pentagon.

All you had to do was lase the target exactly where you would like the impact to occur and then shoot your rifle in any direction - after that the pellet did the rest.

Unfortunately due to government spending cuts my project was axed ;)

Kidding, but with so many different factors affecting accuracy exactly how would you know if it was the pellet itself that was more inherently accurate?

Robert