Have you ever eaten pigeons?

Yea I know domesticated pigeons have been eaten for centuries. I was just curious about how wild pigeons would fare. I mean what's the difference between them and doves besides that they're a little bigger.

Well, all we ate from doves when I was a kid was the breast, which is dark meat... and I never liked eating dove meat.

We actually "field dressed" the doves by hand by putting a thumb under the breast plate and literally ripping out the breast.

I think you can eat the entire pigeon, like a quail, but as I said... I have never eaten pigeons.

Reactions: OldSpook
Well, all we ate from doves when I was a kid was the breast, which is dark meat... and I never liked eating dove meat.

We actually "field dressed" the doves by hand by putting a thumb under the breast plate and literally ripping out the breast.

I think you can eat the entire pigeon, like a quail, but as I said... I have never eaten pigeons.
The reason I'm asking in the first place is because I find it strange that doves are the preferred game bird over pigeons. I didn't know if there was a culinary reason for that or if it related more to the behavioral differences between pigeons and doves. I may be wrong, but I believe that pigeons prefer rocky areas, or something artificial that looks similar like cities, while doves are more widespread which makes them the preferred hunting target. While dove hunting I've found that people won't shoot pigeons because they aren't the target, but I was just thinking that maybe they should be fair game, no pun intended.

Reactions: BackStop
The reason I'm asking in the first place is because I find it strange that doves are the preferred game bird over pigeons. I didn't know if there was a culinary reason for that or if it related more to the behavioral differences between pigeons and doves. I may be wrong, but I believe that pigeons prefer rocky areas, or something artificial that looks similar like cities, while doves are more widespread which makes them the preferred hunting target. While dove hunting I've found that people won't shoot pigeons because they aren't the target, but I was just thinking that maybe they should be fair game, no pun intended.

I understand. Although I have never eaten pigeons, they may actually be better than doves and more like Quail, which I like quite a bit.

There may be a good reason why people don't eat them or it may simply be something cultural, etc. I really don't know.

If you try one, let us know what you think! (y)