• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Have you ever asked yourself: How did I fall down the rabbit hole *SO QUICKLY*?!?

Have you ever asked yourself:​

How did I fall down the rabbit hole SO QUICKLY❓⁉️ 😱

(1) For years I was content to use a handpump to get my PCPs ready for killing.

(2) I had meant to buy a cheap backup pump, but then all corona-hell broke loose, and for two years(!) I couldn't get any airgunning gear to Peru (that'2 where I'm working right now).
🔸 Moral A: Buy AG stuff now, Zdon't procrastinate on spending money.

(3) Murphy (with his law) is a US citizen. So, I thought I'm safe living in Peru.
But — he has a cousin in Peru, his name is Fernando, and Fernando's Law is plucked from the same family tree as Murphy's Law.
So, yes, you guessed it. My hand pump broke.
🔸 Moral B: No matter where in the world you live, make sure Murphy doesn't have any relatives living there. Otherwise, you're screwed.

(4) I then MacGyvered my AG shooting — to pospone the inevitable to the last possible moment:
I literally shoot my PP700 until the pressure in the air cylinder was so low that it couldn't hold the valve shut anymore, and the pitiful rest of air escaped in one long pfffffft! 😄
But not before propelling one last JSB into the body of a feral pigeon.

How I managed to keep my scope adjusted to the ever changing MV? ➔ Tactacam in slomo showed me the exact pellet drop in mil, and I adjusted for it before taking my next shot.

🔸 Moral C: If the forces of nature and the powers to be gang up against your airgunning hobby: Improvise!

(5) The pfffffft announced the inevitable:
I had to buy an airtank (since handpumps sold in Peru are a bad investment, $100 for made in China junk).
It cost me dearly. Ouch! 😖
My dear wife was nice about it. 😊
🔸 Moral D: It's nice to have a nice wife when you're an airgunner. 👍🏼

(6) That wallet-devastating trip down airtank alley was just a few months ago.
I certainly did not expect to find myself looking for a compressor NOW!! 😱
That was slated for the end of this decade....

But here we are — looking down the precipice of compressor alley.
Just months after splurging on my first air tank.

🔸Moral E: When it rains, it pours. (That's even true in the desert where I live, go figure.)

(7) How did I get myself into that conundrum?
When I was going to get my first refill of my shiny new tank — I almost dropped it on the tile floor.... 😱
The local dive shops have jacked up their prices as if the Corona China Virus made air a scarce resource.
Or as if Russia's tanks shut down the air pipeline to Europe....

🔸Moral F: Don't trust the communists, no matter if they come with Russian of Chinese flavor.

So, now you know how I slid down the rabbit hole much much quicker than anticipated.
🔸 You know there's a moral in that as well.... 😉

Your turn:
❓ What shoved you into the AG rabbit hole?
❓ What lubricated your rapid descend down into it?

Matthias

PS: If you think that you are not going down the rabbit hole — well, my psychologist has a term for that. He calls it "denial."

First a Condor and a Hill hand pump. Condors do not know how to sip air. I do not recommend hand pumping a Condor. All that work for ten shots. Sold the Condor and purchased a Huntsman. Much better at sipping air. Then a bottle and then a compressor. More rifles. Another compressor because backup! And another tank because redundancy! Then a pistol. And now, eight or nine springers later, I am having the time of my life! Everyone needs a HW30!

First “The bird incident,” got me a HW30, yes, everyone needs one. Then a HW95, then the need for more power and aAA S500.
Now I need a compressor and a pcp target pistol. Then I will need a smaller lighter compact rifle.
But before that I need to get my hands on a bullpup so I can decide if they work for me.

No! It’s not a hole, there is no problem!

First a ... and a .... Purchased a .... Then a ... and .... More .... Another because [insert rationalization]. And another ... because [ditto]! Then a .... And now, eight or nine .... later.... —— Everyone needs a ....!

Hey maxtrouble, 😊

I can clearly see that you are not in trouble.
No hole, no abyss — not even a slippery slope.
Just rational wise decision making.

Carry on.

Matthias

PS: I'll PM you the phone number of my psychologist, he's really good.

Rabbit hole… no, no clue. Now, back to setting up the Rex Rifle I got because it was used and Too Good a Deal to Pass Up (and just practical - a good source of parts for the Rex P i got recently). I got the Rex P it was Too Good a Deal to Pass Up and because I had a .357 mold and a jar of .360 roundball just sitting here looking sad…. The reason that stuff was sitting around was because I returned the leaky hp max I got on a whim (the start of this whole mess) and swapped it for a .25 semi auto carbine (which I never had any interest in getting in the first place I was just trying to get one big bore airgun going here). Oh yeah of course I also have to find some kind of hollow point mold in .357 because… obviously I’m not gonna be paying for 357 Hollow point slugs in this market. it’s just common sense all of this is practical it has nothing to do with any kind of hole it’s just solving a series of small problems.

Of course… that .25 carbine is a little bit under powered for slugs so I guess I’m going to have to get a pellet mold for that one since my slug molds are too heavy. Common sense to cast your own .25 pellets we’ve all seen how expensive they are these days.

I’m in control

Last edited:
Sorry, don't want to go down the "rabbit hole" of explaining how I got down the Rabbit Hole. Was gifted a new (to me) gun a few months back. Guess what, NEW rabbit hole! I believe I might have finally hit bottom. I'm 100% satisfied with each gun I own, I know exactly what ammo each gun requires, own more than one tank, bipod, scope, target stands, fill adapters, compressors, tool kits, cleaning kits, scope cams, binoculars & have enough "permissions" to keep me content BUT I'm sure SOMETHING will show its ugly head sooner or later to make me dig even DEEPER!!! I don't even ask "how'd I get here" any more because "RESISTANCE IS FUTILE. YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED"

An old bandmate of mine, and right handed lead guitar player, is carrying $150k in guitars on his homeowners policy. Another former bandmate of mine has maybe 25 guitars in his studio, also a righty. I'm a lefty bass player and have only owned two basses in my decades of playing. Walk into most any guitar store and you'll see 200 righty guitars but only a couple of lefties. If you want a left handed one you've got plenty of time to think about it because they take forever to get. Impulse buying and being a left hander don't go hand in hand!
It's the same thing with airguns. I own a Lefty BSA SuperTen and an original Wildcat Mk1 which is ambi. The inability to find a southpaw airgun at the drop of a hat has helped keep my wallet somewhat fat and happy!!!

Cheers,
Glenn in Texas

I have to laugh (not in a judgemental or condescending way) when "new guys" say "my budget is $700". I stand in my garage & look at the $10K worth of guns, air supplies, accessories, fittings, tools, etc. & wonder how the FORK did I come up with the $ for all this over the last 5 years or so!!! A LOT of the stuff I have has been traded for, bartered for, gifted and, of course, bought but HOWEVER it came to me I'm absolutely sure I've overshot my original $500 budget!!!! Ain't it amazing how resourceful we become (and how "in the dark" a lot of our wives must be ;) ).

Rabbit hole, more like open pit mining. 3 years ago in June I shot my buddies HW80, I had serious Tree Rat problems, something happened. 30 Weihrauch’s and a few other deadly springers, plus a truck load of accessories later. Custom stocks is coming soon. I’m seeing light. Having a blast!
An old bandmate of mine, and right handed lead guitar player, is carrying $150k in guitars on his homeowners policy. Another former bandmate of mine has maybe 25 guitars in his studio, also a righty. I'm a lefty bass player and have only owned two basses in my decades of playing. Walk into most any guitar store and you'll see 200 righty guitars but only a couple of lefties. If you want a left handed one you've got plenty of time to think about it because they take forever to get. Impulse buying and being a left hander don't go hand in hand!
It's the same thing with airguns. I own a Lefty BSA SuperTen and an original Wildcat Mk1 which is ambi. The inability to find a southpaw airgun at the drop of a hat has helped keep my wallet somewhat fat and happy!!!

Cheers,
Glenn in Texas
I liked guitars so much I owned a Gibson, Fender Acoustic, a Strat and a Hagstrom mark 2. All I could play was air guitar. Sold all to one guy.
If I didn’t have music in my gun room or gun range I could never do what I’m doing. I play the Blues, I think it relaxes you, for example Fleetwood Mac with Peter Green and Otis Span. My secret to calm shooting. Crow

Reactions: maxtrouble

Have you ever asked yourself:​

How did I fall down the rabbit hole SO QUICKLY❓⁉️ 😱

(1) For years I was content to use a handpump to get my PCPs ready for killing.

(2) I had meant to buy a cheap backup pump, but then all corona-hell broke loose, and for two years(!) I couldn't get any airgunning gear to Peru (that'2 where I'm working right now).
🔸 Moral A: Buy AG stuff now, Zdon't procrastinate on spending money.

(3) Murphy (with his law) is a US citizen. So, I thought I'm safe living in Peru.
But — he has a cousin in Peru, his name is Fernando, and Fernando's Law is plucked from the same family tree as Murphy's Law.
So, yes, you guessed it. My hand pump broke.
🔸 Moral B: No matter where in the world you live, make sure Murphy doesn't have any relatives living there. Otherwise, you're screwed.

(4) I then MacGyvered my AG shooting — to pospone the inevitable to the last possible moment:
I literally shoot my PP700 until the pressure in the air cylinder was so low that it couldn't hold the valve shut anymore, and the pitiful rest of air escaped in one long pfffffft! 😄
But not before propelling one last JSB into the body of a feral pigeon.

How I managed to keep my scope adjusted to the ever changing MV? ➔ Tactacam in slomo showed me the exact pellet drop in mil, and I adjusted for it before taking my next shot.

🔸 Moral C: If the forces of nature and the powers to be gang up against your airgunning hobby: Improvise!

(5) The pfffffft announced the inevitable:
I had to buy an airtank (since handpumps sold in Peru are a bad investment, $100 for made in China junk).
It cost me dearly. Ouch! 😖
My dear wife was nice about it. 😊
🔸 Moral D: It's nice to have a nice wife when you're an airgunner. 👍🏼

(6) That wallet-devastating trip down airtank alley was just a few months ago.
I certainly did not expect to find myself looking for a compressor NOW!! 😱
That was slated for the end of this decade....

But here we are — looking down the precipice of compressor alley.
Just months after splurging on my first air tank.

🔸Moral E: When it rains, it pours. (That's even true in the desert where I live, go figure.)

(7) How did I get myself into that conundrum?
When I was going to get my first refill of my shiny new tank — I almost dropped it on the tile floor.... 😱
The local dive shops have jacked up their prices as if the Corona China Virus made air a scarce resource.
Or as if Russia's tanks shut down the air pipeline to Europe....

🔸Moral F: Don't trust the communists, no matter if they come with Russian of Chinese flavor.

So, now you know how I slid down the rabbit hole much much quicker than anticipated.
🔸 You know there's a moral in that as well.... 😉

Your turn:
❓ What shoved you into the AG rabbit hole?
❓ What lubricated your rapid descend down into it?

Matthias

PS: If you think that you are not going down the rabbit hole — well, my psychologist has a term for that. He calls it "denial."
Jungleshooter, since it's so hard to get accessories down there it might be a good idea to invest in a good quality springer. All you need is the pellets and your good to go.

Old man in Southwestern Texas here. I am new to airgunning but have been hunting and shooting with firearms for more than forty years. I want to hunt Iguanas in Florida and it looks like its going to become expensive, but desirable. I have a daughter who enjoys hunting with her old dad, so it is worthwhile! Have a Walther Parrus in 22 with a Walther airgun scope and an Umarex Forge in 177 but have been told that a 30 cal PCP would be minimum to hunt Iguana. Will cost me twice what it does to the normal buyer as I have my little girl to buy for as well.

Good hunting, everyone. This is my first post. Stay blessed always!

Reactions: SHOMER
Decided to cull my powder burner collection somewhat. Traded in three guns at the Kittery Trading Post in Maine. Got WAY more $$$ for them than I thought. Walked out through the air gun section looking to spend some of it, stopped to look... Walked out with a Crosman 2240 a box of CO2, and a tin of cheapo pellets. That was back in February of this year.

Since then, 22 Maurauder, hand pump, hate the hand pump, got a 88 CF SCBA tank. Next got a Yong Heng with Tuxing air filter. ADD to all that 5 CO2 and one single pump pneumatic pistol, a Diana Bandit PCP on the way from Arizona Airguns. Also built a 10m range in the basement.

All this in the last 5 months..

Reactions: maxtrouble