Have you competed in an airgun competition?

Have you competed in an airgun competition?

• Total voters
My first match several years ago was Field Target at California Airgun Shooters Assc. I hit 2 targets that day, had a great time. I even returned to compete for a year and found benchrest, which I enjoy more. I shoot Benchrest N50 monthly in Oxnard and it is awesome. I have traveled to shoot at Rio Salado a few times. I have shoot both field target and benchrest there. My last match at Rio Salado was indoor 50 feet, 20 lbs or less fpe. I could not even blame the wind for missing. :ROFLMAO: My advice is travel to other locations and have a great time.

Reactions: lloydf
I only compete against myself and the pests that I target. I have nothing to prove to myself or others.

IF and that is a BIG IF, there were events close enough to me, I might consider competing, but that is the rub.

Most events are too far away for most airgunners to take part in, so all you have are the people who are either very close to them or have enough money and time to afford to go to them. I suspect that means that most of those folks are also "sponsored" by a company in order to promote their product.

I could be wrong, but experience leads me to believe I am correct. I know there are no competitions near enough to me that I would participate.

All my best!

Kerry
Have to agree with Backstop,
No events or for what I know of any other airgunners near me to even consider a shooting match!!! I only punch paper and mini snipe here . I'd love to try my hand against some of the best but traveling far isn't an option anymore due to this horse **** economy.

I only compete against myself and the pests that I target. I have nothing to prove to myself or others.

Most events are too far away for most airgunners to take part in, so all you have are the people who are either very close to them or have enough money and time to afford to go to them. I suspect that means that most of those folks are also "sponsored" by a company in order to promote their product.

Kerry

The best part of airgun competitions is spending time with other people that enjoy airguns. Just like any other subset of humanity, there's enough good ones in the mix to make some really good friends.

Rarely a day goes by that I'm not communicating with airgun buddies in some way or another. And all of those friends were made through airgun competitions. So it's not about proving anything to myself or others. The competition part is a fun challenge, but not the primary reason for going. The correct mindset to get the most out of it is to be rooting for your "opponent" cuz if you're doing it right, they're also your friends.

As for sponsorship, yes of course there are some people representing manufacturers or retailers, but I'm not aware of any of even those "sponsored shooters", who are getting their travel expenses paid for (gas, airline tickets, etc). From what I've been exposed to, I'd suspect those that have a free ride to attend competitions are extremely few and far between.

I've always paid my way to competitions, gas/food/pellets/scopes/air/entry fees/etc. Attending a field target match and camping with my boys for the weekend is a heck of a lot cheaper than getting sucked into some tourist trap type vacation. And MUCH more enjoyable.

The best part of airgun competitions is spending time with other people that enjoy airguns. Just like any other subset of humanity, there's enough good ones in the mix to make some really good friends.

Rarely a day goes by that I'm not communicating with airgun buddies in some way or another. And all of those friends were made through airgun competitions. So it's not about proving anything to myself or others. The competition part is a fun challenge, but not the primary reason for going. The correct mindset to get the most out of it is to be rooting for your "opponent" cuz if you're doing it right, they're also your friends.

As for sponsorship, yes of course there are some people representing manufacturers or retailers, but I'm not aware of any of even those "sponsored shooters", who are getting their travel expenses paid for (gas, airline tickets, etc). From what I've been exposed to, I'd suspect those that have a free ride to attend competitions are extremely few and far between.

I've always paid my way to competitions, gas/food/pellets/scopes/air/entry fees/etc. Attending a field target match and camping with my boys for the weekend is a heck of a lot cheaper than getting sucked into some tourist trap type vacation. And MUCH more enjoyable.
I don't know why but some people get so upset if you are a sponsored shooter or on a team. Like you get everything paid for and all the free stuff you want. I'm not sponsored or on a team and I've talked to people that are and they don't get anything paid for. I have no problem with sponsored shooters I get beat by both sponsored and non sponsored shooters all the time. 😜I try to spread the losing(my loosing)out equally to all shooters. To be honest the best part of shooting competitions is the people and visiting with them.

Last edited:
There are about six matches a year at CMP in Anniston AL at a very nice indoor range. It’s only about 90 minutes away and nearly everyone there outshoots me. A lot of high school and college age shooters who impress me with their dedication, good attitudes and quite a bit of family support. Some have come from as far as New Jersey. At least one of the slightly older shooters and her husband are military and she is Olympic class. I bought a used Anschutz from them that has apparently been used in the 2004 Olympics. I’ll never finish better than top 10 on a very good day but it’s fun and higher end rifles are so nice to shoot.

Rick H.

Reactions: drsquall
"have" shot some FT but it has been a minute or so ago (around 7 years)
Started at Brad's TVA club in Huntsville, then the Good Ole Boy's club (Playground of Champions, took me about 10 matches to ask, "well we had 6 National & World champions here today" , and just THE nicest folks) got to attend the TN State, Nationals & Worlds at Roz's. And the Invicta Club in Minor hill, placed somewhere in one of the State matches with a HPA QB78 . And Widder Stevens for a few shoots. 3rd place hunter at the GOB 2008 TN State match using a Chuntsman in .22 (full length HW barrel) the best grouping pellet was the 15.9g so fairly low fps.

FT is the most fun you can legally have and teaches so much. BR can be fun but only if there is enough wind to keep it interesting.

John