• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Have .25 caliber Airguns Lost their shine?

.25 is the best caliber! Still relatively inexpensive to shoot, packs a punch on small games and simply versatile! I almost regret getting .25 but once I used it I really think it’s the best if your gun has the ability to adjust speed. 650FPS .25 pellets put the smack down on them squirrels with stealth and lower pass through or much better energy dump compared to .22. 

I had a .30 caliber MKII and a .25 caliber M3.
I kept the .25 caliber!

20220820_131922.jpg

Looking at 22 at the moment but wouldn’t mind a bigger caliber. Using a small game would ya recommend bigger?
What kinda game are you hunting exactly? I had a .25 cal for my first PCP, and it worked well for smaller game. But to handle raccoons, I needed the perfect headshot. So I bought a .357 cal, which handled the 40 pound raccoons nicely, but I wanted something smaller. Now I have a .30 cal FX Maverick VP, and I couldn't be happier!

Great power for mid-sized game, but can be turned down on the fly to harvest smaller game.
20220725_124759.jpg

I think a lot of the competitors at EBR and RMAC are shifting from .22 and .30 to .25 King Heavy. I recently shifted from .22 RDM to .25 King Heavy, and others like John Bagakis and Thayne Simmons also have switched, either from .22 or from .30. I know of a few other top shooters that are also switching. The .22 RDMs have a similar but slightly less BC, but the pellet quality isn't what it used to be. The .30 caliber pellets are good, and very predictable in the wind, but have a noticeably lower BC and move more in the wind than the .25 King Heavy. Plus the .25 King Heavy can be shot at a higher speed (like the RDMs) compared to .30 pellets. I'm shooting my .25 Red Wolf HP at about 960 to 965 FPS with the King Heavy pellets...
So, no, .25 caliber isn't dying as far as I can tell...

Reactions: Jlowe and Ricochet
I grew up with 12ft/lbs .177's in the UK. I always thought that .22 at 12ft/lbs was going to slow and too much of an arc in the flight path. I still have a .177 Diana 36 and it's very handy around buildings.

Now I'm in the USA I have .22's because we can shoot them fast enough here to negate the arch like trajectory.

I do want to try a .25 now though. It'll be my next buy I think.

Reactions: Jasonmc