• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Have .25 caliber Airguns Lost their shine?

When I owned a .22 Steyr at the same time an Edgun R3 single shot, most of the squirrels were within the 70 yard range. I noticed that the .22 killed just as well as the .25’s so I sold the .25. Since then we’ve shot out all the those close ones and the ranges have gotten longer. I’ve noticed the variance due to wind. While I love my Steyr, is just not powerful enough to shoot slugs which would be my first choice. Plus I have like 7 tins of .25 left over from the Edgun. So I went back with the Edgun r5m for a little longer range. 
But I disagree that the .25 is like the 6.5 creed... I think the .22’s in monster weight or even better slugs are more like the creed with the higher bc’s of those has had a resurgence on the caliber. Kinda like comparing the creed to the .300 Winmag. All the ballistics without the recoil. And as I’ve said, I’ve noticed no difference in killing power of the two. 
So if you’re sticking to pellets, .25 is better downrange, but for slugs, .22’s seem to be the new Creedmoor.

Good discussion everyone.

I live out in the wide open country here in Montana. We have lots of Richardson ground squirrels and they are out in force right now. I've killed over 200 just this week. So I shoot lots of pellets through my Air Arms S510 Ultimate Sporter Xtra in .22, but it can get pretty windy here which wreaks havoc on those long shots. I can kill them with consistency at 80-100 yards with the 18 gr JSB's and 16 gr Hades. My longest kill shot has been 121 yards. Will a .25 significantly increase my kill range or should I explore .22 slugs? Thus the question about .25, as I've been looking for a new gun and was rather curious about there being so many .25's in the classifieds. 

Good discussion everyone.

I live out in the wide open country here in Montana. We have lots of Richardson ground squirrels and they are out in force right now. I've killed over 200 just this week. So I shoot lots of pellets through my Air Arms S510 Ultimate Sporter Xtra in .22, but it can get pretty windy here which wreaks havoc on those long shots. I can kill them with consistency at 80-100 yards with the 18 gr JSB's and 16 gr Hades. My longest kill shot has been 121 yards. Will a .25 significantly increase my kill range or should I explore .22 slugs? Thus the question about .25, as I've been looking for a new gun and was rather curious about there being so many .25's in the classifieds.

IMHO, the .25 is the best all around caliber. Kills as good or better than the .22, bucks the wind better, pellets are alittle more expensive, but not near as bad as the .30 or .35’s. Caliber fads are cyclic. After guys figure out the cost penalty/safety issue you’ll see a lot of those for sale. It’s a great time to be a buyer of a .25. Lot’s of nice used guns at good prices.

I think not! My RAW .25

1589733834_8046379905ec169ca1868e4.37532840.png

.22 is my favorite. I've had a few .25s which I've really enjoyed and others that were ok. Same with other guns but .22 is the most versatile for me. I've been shooting .177 lately but idk if it's for me. I have to hold alot of my shots compared to what I would do with a .22 due to the knockdown power and what I've been used to. Thinking going back to just .22.

I almost started a similar thread. Seems all the videos are aimed at .22. And there are lots of pellets in different diameters for .22. Took forever to get the FX Hybrids in .25 for instance.

I've always just taken to .25 It seems to be an all around caliber. Not too expensive nor crazy powerful as .35 but still packs a punch and bucks the wind well.

I try and look for tuning videos but like I said most are for .22. Come on lets see more tuning and slug videos for .25

I think it's a great caliber and has a unique niche in airgunning/hunting/pesting. 177 and 22 are definitely always going to be more "mainstream", tho. Much quieter and higher shot count too. If you want more firepower, options for heavy .22 ammo(heavy pellets/slugs) or .30 or .35(or higher) have definitely been more en vogue lately. In the future, who knows. It may be in danger of going the way of the .20 cal or the 16gauge shotgun?