• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Hatsan Vectis Shortened barrel with image

Hi,

My Hatsan Vectis .22 is shooting a 14.3 grn at 840fps. Does this seem low? The barrel has been shortened 2.75".

Thank you for the replies.

DonnyFL Sumo moderator. 

IMG_1039.1602802460.JPG

I know that mine has never been adjusted or tuned in any way - it is shooting just as it came out of the box and has rather few rounds through it. 

But I don't have the knowledge or experience to help you get higher muzzle velocities.

I do note that the Hatsan web site specifies a (average? maximum?) muzzle velocity of 970fps on the .22 Vectis, with the following proviso:

" * Velocity results may vary as much as 20% due to pellet weight, pellet shape, temperature, elevation, as well as other factors. "

The only tuning info I have seen on the Vectis has been related to the installation of a Huma regulator.

If you try to up the power too much your shot curve is going to go straight down with every shot and cocking will get difficukt and it's going to be louder to shoot.

For reference a 22 Benjamin Fortitude shoots 14gr at around 755-765fps and it's plenty enough to dispatch small game out to 55-60 yards maybe farther if you know your gun well enough under ideal conditions.

So I adjusted the hammer spring in one turn increments from all the way in to all the way out. Did it a few times. Best I got was 850fps from the wide open position(that still allows the gun to cock). I put in two spring spacers and no real gains. Ordered a couple of hammer springs. What else should I be looking out for? is there some magic sweet spot with the hammer spring or does wide open always produce the highest fps?

Hey man I'm almost positive that your barrel is slightly off kilter. Your transfer port is likely at an angle wasting air and being ineffective. If you have access to a bore scope take a look. If not watch a disassembly video and make sure to degas first. If you are not comfortable find someone who is. Maybe send it in to hatsan even. This is an easy fix tho if it's anything like my other guns. I don't have a vectis but this has happened to me a few times. The assembly line probably just put it together too fast. Check the transfer port seals while you check the alignment of the holes in the barrel and tube the valve sits in. You can do it! 

I never had a hatsan vectis so I looked at the exploded diagram from hatsan. That might be a good thing to look at from their website. However what I was talking about it making sure the barrel is aligned and seals were in place in the channel of air that travels from valve to barrel. Now that being said I think I solved the mystery here. Your probably working with a gun that is functioning properly. Taking 2.75" off is going to take alot of fps off your top speeds. In fact you should back that hammer spring all the way down because you mentioned that turning it up didn't give you any more fps. This is just going to waste your shot count. You might even want to take those shims out. Just back it off until you lose like 5 or 10 fps and you should be doing great. Lol you should have lead with I took almost 3" off my barrel why is it slower than a stock vectis we would have figured that out right off 🤠

Chopping a PCP barrel most definitely lowers the power. Theres your simple low power answer. You probably lost at least an instant 50fps or probably more and forcing the power up will only waste air with a shortened barrel.

You will need to machine that 177 barrel to fit the Hatsan receiver and also the o-ring groove inside too. You will also need a 177 caliber probe and magazine.

There is no warranty on a modified Hatsan gun especially with a chopped barrel. 

Was the gun inaccurate in its original unchopped form? It would totally make sense to chop the barrel from the muzzle end and take away the choke at the muzzle if it had unacceptable accuracy otherwise chopping it from the breech end and remachining for the breech o-ring would keep the good accuracy intact.