Hatsan question

Squirrels and rabbits I just use a little HW50S. Its only 12ftlbs but I've taken squirrel as far as 55yds with that. Very accurate gun and very well made for not much more than what a 135 goes for. You really don't need all that power and it just takes away from accuracy unless you really know what you're doing. Even then, good luck.

For groundhogs I usually use my HW97K that's tuned to 17fpe. Thats a short range gun for them though. If I can't get within 30yds I dont take the shot on account of the lower power. Damn accurate gun though. I've taken squirrels at 70yds with that one.

If you plan on going bigger than groundhogs or game similar to that size more often than not, I would stick to PCP. Easier to shoot and quite a bit more oomph.

I have 2 bt65s. One in 25 and the other 177. Great accurate powerful guns. A bit heavy but reliable. They handle well imo. The magazine feeds great. I added a regulator to my 177 and it has helped with efficiency. I bought my bt65s at a great price. I'm not sure I'd buy one at the price I've seen them for at retailers. Maybe a used one would have a better price.

Groundhogs and possibly raccoons would be the largest and maybe a coyote with squirrels the main prey

I haven't seen a bt65 for sale used so far.

The MOD 125 Sniper Camo Vortex QE .22 catches my eye.

How is the customer service for Hatsan?
Basically nonexistent. If you have a problem you fill out a form on their website and hope they get back to you within the week. They're cheap guns so you'll want to know how to fix them yourself if something goes wrong. Honestly that goes for quality guns too though.

I have a Hatsan 125 that's out of service (busted gas spring). I never really liked it that much and I have no plans to spend the $50 or so for a new piston.

My next break barrel will probably be a Barra 1200g. It's a dual caliber (comes with 177 and 22 barrels), decent power and looks accurate from what I've seen. Check it out. I'm now of the opinion that anything over 22 caliber isn't ideal for break barrel airguns, even magnums.

I had a BT65 in .25 that was my main hunting gun before my current FX models. For the price it was a perfectly adequate & hard hitting gun. Took hundreds of squirrels with it & it taught me about working on airguns. I disassembled & reassembled it so many times it became easy. They are LOUD but a moderator added to the shroud end quieted the bark. Cocking bolt is STIFF at 1st, you have to pull back HARD but it smoothes out over usage and time.

Reactions: silvershooter589