Hatsan Model 130QE .30 caliber

Hatsan Model 130QE .30 caliber

(Excerpt from my CD “Old Air guns and Memories)

I recently made a comment in a post on a forum in “My Journey into the world of .250 quarter bore Air Rifles” that I did not feel that the Big Bore .25/.30 calibers were suitable for the spring/gas ram powered air rifles and were better suited for the PCP/HPA class of Air Rifles.

I should have remembered something my Grandfather told me many years ago, he said never pay any attention to the old saying “you can’t teach and old dog new tricks” that only applies to those who don’t want to learn anything else!!! Never have a closed mind!!!! He was right as he generally always was!! After my post regarding the .25 caliber; I became more curious about the Gas Ram.30 caliber Air Rifles now available, some quoted at 30+ ft lbs, which is some serious horsepower from a non HPA Air Rifle!! So remembering my Grandfathers advice about closed minds; decided to purchase a .30 caliber Gas Ram Rifle.

As luck would have it I found a 20% off sale at PA on a “Hatsan Model 130QE .30 caliber Vortex Gas Ram” and ordered one, with synthetic stock and adjustable Cheek piece, which offered a weight savings over the Wood stock; and I personally have no problems with synthetic stocks and there is a side benefit, they do not crush the recessed slots when tightening the stock bolts as do the wood versions and are less likely to loosen over time, at least that’s been my experience, others may disagree! Also it came with Fiber Optic Adj, Rear and fiber Optic front.

I also ordered with the rifle; 2 cans of .30 caliber pellets - Polymag 44.75 grain. I have had good luck with these pellets in other calibers so thought I would start there. If the rifle showed promise I would then follow up and order some JSB .30 caliber. Not too many pellets available in 30 cal. anyway as I write this.

I received the Hatsan in good order, a very nice rifle indeed! It came with some nice features , thumb hole stock, adjustable cheek rest, inserts for adjusting length of pull of butt stock, fiber optic sights, adjustable rear sight, sling swivels, nice checkering on pistol grip and lower sides of stock area, scope rail for both Weaver and 3/8/11mm mounts. Quattro Adjustable trigger, automatic safety. The bluing was ok; one noticeable thing was the short barrel, it is shrouded which makes it look longer, in actuality the barrel is only 10.5 inches, the shroud adds another 6.5 inches for a total of 17 “. Which is good; without the extra length of the shroud, thing might be near impossible to cock; for me anyway, LOL!!! Anyhow the short configuration of the barrel/shroud decreases ones leverage and increases the cocking effort on this unit, stated at about 50 lbs!!! The QE designation denotes Quite Energy (sound suppression) Total weight 9.75lbs and 47.5 inches OAL on mine!! Going to be some tradeoffs for this kind of power!! This is a BIG Rifle!!!! (REMINDS ME OF HANDLING MY K 98 MAUSER)! I left the trigger alone at this time, broke at 5lb 3 oz. after the break in will look more closely at this!!

I decided to only clean the barrel, which it turned out was clean; and check for tightness of stock screws, all were tight so moved forward with break in, sight in. I normally separate the stock and action clean and reassemble with blue loctite on stock screws, but since all was good, would check again at 50 rds. Using the Polymag Predators for this initial process, after the first 50 rounds, the stock screws were still tight; checked the barrel again, 2 patches again showed little residue, at this point I set up for bench rest testing at 25 yards for the final sight in process and chronograph simultaneously!

The first 5 shots averaged 570 fps @ 32.3 ft. lbs. “A REAL THUMPER”, but just as impressive was the group size, 5 shots equaled .780” C-C about an inch high, this with open sights!! Impressive as well were the holes in the target!! Man that 30 caliber makes BIG HOLES!!!!! Nope; I don’t have anything in my air gun arsenal that will come close to this as far as Accuracy AND Power!!! Better Accuracy yes!! Accuracy AND power NO!!! (And yes the JSB .30 caliber are now on order. 44.75 gr. and 50.15 grain Dome) Hope to have them before conclusion of this write up if so will be included herein!!

After this I decided to see what I could do regarding trigger pull, I followed the instructions in the OM and after a little needle application of lube was able to get a trigger pull of 4lbs. 10 oz, perfectly satisfied with that! I personally would not consider trying to go below 4-1/2 lbs trigger on this system; one is dealing with a very strong Gas Ram here, the sear is under a lot of pressure!!!!!!

It was now time to see what this .30 caliber could do at 50 yards, shot from bench rest! The Polymag 44.75 .30 caliber delivered Stunning results!! 4 into 1.290” Center to center and dead center in the bull a 5th low, opened the group to 3.15”, I jerked!!!! This is with open sights, it was not an anomaly I was able to duplicate it!! That was impressive!! I mean ¾ inch groups at 25 yards less than 2 inch groups at 50 yards 32. Ft. lbs. all this with open sights!!!!

I did get in the JSB 30 caliber ammo, and with no changes to the sights; set up bench for 25 yds. JSB 44.75 grain averaged 566 fps. @ 32ft.lbs and 5 shots into 1.94” CC and shot to same POA as the Polymag and dead on!! Next I set target at 50 yds. 44.75 grain 4 shots 2.165” dead on in the bull with a fifth enlarging the group to 3.185” Again I jerked the last shot as I sometimes do!!

Next up at 25 yards, the 50.15 grain JSB; averaged 523 fps. 30.4 ft.lbs. 5 shots = 2.400” CC! Next; with target set at 50 yds. 5 shots into 2.545” CC. Basically for all practical purposes the; .30 caliber, Polymag 44.75 grains JSB 44.75 grains .and 50.15 grain all shot to the same P0A !! Remarkable!! I would have to give the edge to the Polymag 44.75 grains in the accuracy department, BUT NOT BY MUCH, the other factor is the cost, the Poylmag is a bit cheaper BUT there are only 100 rounds per tin as opposed to 150 rounds per tin with the JSB!!

There is one other factor in my choice of the poly mag .30 caliber ammo, I personally believe the Polymag with its ballistic tip or pointed tip offers more lethality, at least it has been my observation with the Polymag ammo in the smaller calibers and I see no reason to believe otherwise in the .30 cal. Course others may disagree!

I now have over 150 rounds. Through this air rifle, I have literally done nothing to it other than shoot it, no tuning other than a small adjustment to the trigger, the stock bolts have not loosened, I have found the .30 cal. pellet for it; Polymag 44.75 grains.

I have decided to now make this M-130 a dedicated Hunting Air Rifle, I am going to scope it (3x9x40 Optima AO) and add a Hatsan Sling , with all this it will probably approach 10.75 lbs , which is ok for a dedicated hunting Air Rifle. It is not really suited as a casual shooter, in its original form, just too big and heavy in my opinion, others may disagree.

My Grandfather was right; never close your mind, big thanks to him!!!!! This is the most powerful/ accurate Air Rifle I have ever owned! I was just late to the party by my own remission!!!! The spring & particularly the gas ram rifles of today are just as well suited for the Big Bore 25./.30 caliber as any of the HPA/ PCP units of today. The M-130 is a Big Heavy Rifle, 50lb. cocking effort etc. maybe not as easy to shoot accurately perhaps as the HPA units, but it is still accurate and no less effective!!

Garey Hatsan 01.jpgHatsan 02.jpgHatsan 03.jpgHatsan 04.jpgHatsan 05.jpgHatsan 06.jpgDragonfly07.jpgHatsan 08.jpgHatsan 09.jpg

Although rough and heavy, they are THE ONLY MANUFACTURE who tackled this platform in break barrel..
NOT a easy task as the caliber is so big the barrel pivot has to be adjusted or sleeved down..

I have thought about attacking this caliber out of pure desire to shoot something with that boulder of a pellet..

My math tells me that even with the HATSAN platform, 35 to 38 +ft lbs is possible ..

It ,WILL NOT BE A EASY GUN TO COCK.. It will recoil like a 30-06 , can’t beat the laws of physics. Push a heavy weight fast and you get equal weight coming back..
But, at those numbers what did you expect. I’ve got some custom made .152 wire that I tested in a Uk Patriot and got huge numbers but feared the weak trigger ,(they are Sintered steel, sand casted) and my older Shoulder might
not be so good idea..

The Quattro trigger of all the triggers is very Robust and can take a huge load as it’s a four sear contact splitting the loads and each sear is hardened steel.. It would not be my worry area. The barrel it self will have to be chambered and sleeved to reinforce it and mildly choked to stop huge piston slam as it’s a huge heavy piston. The seal will need to be changed out to a cupped Vac seal to generate the extra needed power. I’m sure port work internally will be help to.. These are all based on the .25 135/Quattro Patriots I’ve worked on..

I just never wanted to invest in the Platform in .25 ,as I’ve pushed Uk and my own custom Prototypes up into the 35 ft lb arena.. but the .30 is a pellet like a pair of giant ( . ) ( . ) You can’t take your 👀 of it.