• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Hatsan Lightning - Day 1 review

I got home from my trip an was able to setup, break-in, calibrate and fill two bottles with my new Hatsan Lightning Compressor today. My experience with compressors is owning a Yong Heng for the past 8 months and rebuilding it when it needed service. I have two bottles, a 72CF 4500 psi Tiger shark and a 90ci (14CF) 4500 psi Benjamin bottle.

Setup and Break-in:

The compressor came shipped from Hatsan boxed and crated. Setup was easy. I used Royal Purple Synthetic compressor oil and a 60/40 distilled water to anti-freeze mixture. The instructions are easy to read and understand and break in was easy. After break-in, the instructions has you check for leaks. I filled the capped line to 4500 psi, turned it off and it held 4500 psi for 10 min without losing any pressure.

Calibration:

The digital gauge is a great feature. You can calibrate it to match your gauge on your tank. Mine was about 150 psi low. Both my tanks have Expert HPA valves and gauges that match each other, so I calibrated to them. Once that was done, the auto shutoff was dead on. Through the gauge you set Bar or PSI, auto shutoff and the auto purge interval in minutes. The auto purge is a great feature. I tested it at 3 min, 10 min and 15 min. I’ll keep it set at 10 min to allow one purge from 3000-4500 psi.

Filling:

I filled three bottles so far. The compressor is quiet compared to the Yong Heng. At 3’ its 84 db, easy to hold a conversation over it. The Benjamin 90ci (14CF) bottle took a lightning 2 minutes to fill from 3300-4500. The Tiger Shark 72cf tank took 15 min from 3000 to 4500psi with one purge. After about 45 minutes of use/break-in, I changed the oil and it was mostly clear.

What I would change (Hatsan please read):

The block that the fill hose connects to should be turned 90 degrees or set back a couple inches. There is room for this and it would keep the hose connection inside the protected area less susceptible to getting bumped and damaged. I will probably rotate the block, since this wouldn’t equire a new air line, but I shouldn’t have to. Also, unless you install a QD on this block, the hose is always attached and dangling when you move it. A clip or holder for the loose hose would be a nice feature. Both can be done simply by the owner, but it would be nice if it shipped this way. Yeah that’s all I could find for improvements, so overall, I’m extremely happy with it.

Opinion:

This compressor rocks compared to the Yong Heng. Its faster and quieter with more options. I’m guessing the guts are similar to the Air Venturi, but with upgraded SS fittings, moisture separator, auto moisture purge and digital calibratable gauge. I got a smokin’ deal though Lethal Airguns making it less expensive then the AV. It came with enough consumables to rebuild the compressor 2-4 times. Lethal Airguns is a service center and has answered every question before and after the sale that I’ve had. So, I’m confident if there are any issues they will be taken care of.

Mark

1536097738_19253613755b8efdca4398c4.03442526_20180904_101047.jpg
1536097738_8795096645b8efdca7decc1.58933139_20180904_101057.jpg
1536097771_19682672715b8efdeb900690.79771439_20180904_095155.jpg

Compressor and operator panel

1536097817_13924427795b8efe19357126.00542609_20180904_093516.jpg

84 db

1536097836_14907559955b8efe2c857218.39025263_20180904_110757.jpg

Extra "consumables" parts

1536097871_1404890085b8efe4fbbede1.33145674_20180904_105410.jpg

Almost perfect

Reactions: Centercut
Mark @marknagel, thanks for the review, appreciate it. One suggestion. Take a look at the outlet valve block (last photo, aluminum block with the manual purge valve and outlet hose). At the top is a large nut that would be removed to replace the teaspoon full of desiccant inside. There is a small metal "cage" inside that holds the silica beads. 

My recommendation is to remove and discard the beads and instead put a small cotton tampon filter in its place. The silica will become wet over time and cause corrosion. Also, when you reassemble, put some anti-seize on the threads of the large fitting. If you don't, it will become very hard to remove the next time you try to open it up. I speak from experience. 

I also recommend using one of the "gold" filters as both I and @humdinger have recommended on many posts over the past year. You'll be glad you did. For under $100, its inexpensive insurance...

Mike

Centercut, I think the Hatsan has a gold Desiccant filter. The manual has instructions and maintance intervals when to replace the cotton and when to replace the desiccant media.

From their website:

• 3-Stage built-in moisture removal system:
    • Auto-purge forces moisture out of the system
    • Vertical water separator with serviceable internal filter removes moisture from the air stream
    • Replaceable desiccant filter at output ensures dry air is being pumped into your storage tank

Now that ive read it about 20 times, maybe they just did the mods you suggested? Now you have me wanting to take it apart and see. 

Gotcha. Send me a photo of what you think is the desiccant filter. I think the Hatsan literature is misleading... Actually I know it is. I’m not saying you bought a bad compressor. It’s a good compressor. But I does need a dryer especially if you operate it in humid environments. The fact that it auto purges is great. The fact that it comes with an outlet cotton tampon type filter like the AV is great. The tiny desiccant filter - not so much. Take it for what it’s worth. No offense intended. 

Centercut...doesnt the gold filter come with just cotton as well...I read you have to build a jury rigged desiccant insert for it.

I see you saying to replace the "teaspoon" of desiccant a LOT... is this the same on the compressor you have? I do plan on buying an additional filter for mine eventually, but seems like it is not the gold filter that will do the job? Do you have a suggestion of one i dont need to modify right away?

Centercut, no offense taken at all. Trying to learn the ins and outs. I did do a couple manual purges from that block and had zero visible moisture. Its says to replace the filters (cotton, and desiccant) after 6 mos 50hrs or vis moisture. Ill keep an eye on it. Bummer I had a nice $175 vertical filter for my YH I sold becuase I figured I didnt need it anymore. Eitherway, after selling it and my Yh, Im in this for around only $900.

@titanflyer, you are correct. It does only come with the cotton tampon. You have to buy the 13X Zeolite and install it. Cut cotton tampin, two inch piece at inlet and one inch piece at outlet. Zeolite in the middle. The need for isolation between the Zeolite and aluminum is a myth. Just ensure you get good compression, about an inch with when you assemble the components. And keep the filter above the compressor outlet. PS., the mechanicals of the Hatsan are essentially identical to the two cylinder Tuxing, including the outlet block with small desiccant cavity. 

@Centercut So couldn't I just put that same filter in the gold cylinder in the Hatsan and have the same thing? that would save me some money right there if it is possible. I had heard this was the same as the tuxing, but I am not as handy as some of you guys, or maybe just lazier, but I figured this had all the features I would have wanted to add to the tuxing anyway. Wish I could have afforded the Daystate like you suggested to me, but I couldn't do it. 

@titanflyer, I don’t think so. Look inside I’m sure there is more to it than just a filter. Plus doing something like that could void your warranty, and also it would be very hard to get the beads out when you want to change them.

You could go with this set up, already has everything for $86. 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F223087008588

or for about $30 you could get this smaller one, you’d need to buy some Zeolite 13x. 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F283121272440

Zeolite 13x

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F312090493908

Centercut -when these zeolite ads don't list a sieve size, like 4x8 what size is this likely to be or is there any way to tell short of asking the seller? Here's another seller with no size listed - 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CJXDBV2/?coliid=IPMLW6L6C15ZT&colid=LJ6BU74ND8C1&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Don't you use some dessicant to salt the zeolite with as an indicator that the pack has gotten wet....?? Thanks

The beads in the photo of the Amazon ad are 4x8 and will work fine. The 8x12 mesh size is smaller and will pack more densely but both will do the job. I have researched this and found out that the dive compressor cartridges sold by almost every manufacturer and replacement cartridge dealer uses 4X8 mesh beads.