Hatsan Lightning Compressor operating questions

Received my compressor, did the initial setup and break-in. Now for the operating questions. 1. After you set the purge time interval do you put the auto purge switch on or off while filling a bottle? 2. Will the unit purge according to the set time if the auto purge is in the off position? When using the auto purge do you have to close the bottle first at anytime? 3. What is the recommended purge interval when filling an 88 cu ft bottle? 3. Does anyone know if the Temperature gauge is suppose to be always on and how is it powered? Any help would be appreciated.

Temp gauge runs off a battery so it's always on. It used little battery so it will last for years before you need to change it out. The purge switch does what exactly it says. If it's off, it will not purge. Filling a bottle it doesnt matter if purge is on or off. That depend on the user if they want the compressor to purge or not. Do you even know what the purge do? When the compressor is running it will build up moisture. That moisture is collected at the bottle of the gold filter. When it purge, it blows that water out the side. So common sense will tell you to always have it on duh. But if you decided for whatever reason you dont want it to blow that water out, just switch purge to off. But be warn, that moisture will collect enough that it will go into your tank. Moisture in tank or gun is never good. For setting when it will purge that is also depend on how often the user want it to purge. Hatsan reccomend every 15 mins. I set mine to every 10 min. Your manual will tell you how to set it. When filling your bottle or tank, always have the valve close. Turn compressor on with no load/pressure in the system. When the gauge on the compressor meets the gauge on your tank, you slowly open it. It will start to fill the tank. It auto shut off at whatever you set your auto shut off at.

I know what a purge does what I wanted to know was wether the auto purge did an immediate purge when you turned it on and wether and the timed purge worked separately from the auto purge switch.

The auto purge switch on the compressor is the timer purge. Switching the switch to on will not purge it immediately. Auto purge means it will automatically purge when the time hits whatever you set it to. Say you set it to 10 mins. When you switch it auto purge to on, it will purge after 10 mins, and will auto purge after every 10 mins till it is full. Having it to off, the compressor will not purge at all, no matter if it reaches the 10 mins mark. I leave it to on all the time. No need to switch auto purge to off even when not using the compressor. 

To add to the helpful advice from PigeonMan and 2D1C-

i just used my Lightning for the first time to fill a tank from zero to 4500. It was a SCBA 45 minute tank(THANKS AGAIN, GERRY!!), and I told myself even though the Hatsan instructions said to not ever exceed 195 degrees F in use, I made 185 degrees my cut off. So, that tank took me an initial 45 minute session, rest till it went down to 120 degrees, back on for another 30 minutes, stop. I am now at around 2500 psi. It was very late when I started the fill process, so off to bed.

Next morning, it was much warmer than the evening before, so after 30 minutes I hit 185 degrees, stop. I’m now at around 3400 psi. After a cool down to 120 degrees it took 15 minutes to get to the 4500 psi fill. So two hours total run time to fill that tank.

If I had planned it better, I like CENTERCUT’s suggestion he put out there awhile back, and that was to take your empty tank to a fill place, pay the $10 to fill, and just use our residential type compressors for top offs. It’ll help it last a lot longer for sure. 

I, too have a 88 cu foot tank, and I always top off when I’m at or near 3200 psi. From past experience I’ve noted that it takes approx. 12 to 18 minutes to top off my tank back to 4500 psi. I set my auto purge to 10 minutes, to guarantee me at least one full blast of moisture removal. There’s a good amount of moisture that comes out with a purge. Be aware that setting your auto purge to come on every 10 minutes will also increase your fill time on a new tank, and that is why mine took so long to fill up. In hindsight, for a new tank fill that’s empty, I should’ve reprogrammed the auto purge to like every 20 minutes. The compressor drops pressure a bit after a purge, and has to build back up to continue with the fill.

Lastly, when bleeding the air at that aluminum block where your fill whip is attached to- when bleeding, have the air run past your fingers, and feel for moisture. There shouldn’t be any, but there will come a time that it will have some, and that means your inner desiccant inside that block needs to be changed out like ASAP.

Big Guy,

Your previous reply about having it filled at local dive shop the first time would have the best.

According to two different post or it might have been more. There is two trains of thought here. First being overall run time. One gentleman felt you'd have less run time filling two partial bottles. Instead of one constant long run with a bunch of cool downs.

The second train of thought is the airtanksforsale train. They feel that if the filter is not under 2000psi it's not working properly. In their rational you would not have reach true filtering capacity for moisture until you reach this level.

I hope I explained that well enough. I know after I filled a tank from empty it had me wondering too. I know there was something else about filling from the initial empty with a filled tank that I'm missing I just can't remember, but it made sense.

You have always been so helpful in the past with your posts I'm just trying to repay some of the sort.

Thanks 

Thanks! I try to share any experiences that come up with the Lightning as much as I can. 

I recently invested in one in one of these -

1566632218_9388417025d60e91a6ae1b1.37629545_0B72FE54-7EF7-46C1-9C02-D776944365CD.jpeg

Man, oh, man! I’ve had my eye on one of these for a long while now, and now that I have one I can’t believe I waited this long. This baby is used for shooting tethered to the tank, and I immediately realize the savings on air consumption cause the only time I bleed from a gun top off is when I’m done shooting for the day. The other day I spent literally 5 hours tethered, and the only time I heard that PFFFFTTT was when I called it quits. Another benefit to this tool is adjusting for sweet spot on pressure that your gun will be the most accurate on. My Bully takes a max fill of 3600 psi and at that max pressure I tend to get around two fliers out of 5 shots, which of course opened up my groups. I dialed my pressure to 3200 on the fly, and then to 3100 psi where the gun shot best, and I never had to reconnect a fill probe and top off the gun, checking to see if indeed 3100 would be the best, guessing away and wasting air from bleeding. 

My overall thoughts on this is, if you are a tank owner, and shoot off the bench a lot at paper or prairie dogs, or even a tuner shooting thru a chronograph, this tool is a must have. This Regman pretty much completes an Airgun enthusiast’s air supply arsenal that already owns a compressor and a tank. I picked this up locally from ATP(Air Tanks Plus).