• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Hatsan Lightning Compressor - Final Review F

Status
Not open for further replies.
A quick summary before I get into the down and dirty below. If you are in the market for a compressor and considering the Lightning, I know its long, but I RECOMMEND reading the entire review, otherwise the summary hits the highlights.

Summary:

I ordered the Hatsan Lightning compressor from Byan Ware at Lethal Precision back in August. I filled 2 bottles and it worked fine. A few days later filling my bottle again, the compressor blew up. It sounded like a shotgun going off, my ears were ringing and all. After a lengthy exchange with Hatsan and Lethal Precision they sent me a replacement compressor which was also defective. The replacement leaked and then one of the foster fittings failed around 4000psi shooting shrapnel all over my room. Luckily, I was not hit with the flying debris. On top of that, Hatsan sent me an old, used, corroded compressor, not a new one like they had promised and I had paid $1250 for. I returned the compressor to Lethal Precision, Byan had repeatedly told me the refund should show up tomorrow. I kept emailing him every couple days and he kept giving me a different excuse. After over two weeks of this I had to file a dispute through Paypal. It’s been two months, I haven’t had a working compressor, but they still have my money. It’s been over 3 weeks and Hatsan has not returned any of the 4 emails, service requests forms, or phone calls regarding the defective replacement compressor, not a single one. What horrible service. I would never buy anything from Hatsan or Lethal Precision again.

Honestly, I had better service and luck with my clone YH compressor I paid $225 for on eBay. I filled my bottles about 25-30 times with that little pump and when it started dying, the seller was very helpful. It’s sad I paid 1/5th the price for the YH clone and it filled my bottles 15 times more than the Hatsan. I guess in this case, you don’t get what you pay for.

Review 1st Compressor:

Overall the Lightning looks just like the Air Venturi or Tuxing. They have different features, but the pump if generally the same. The difference is who imports it from China and what Quality Control oversight they have from the Chinese manufacturer. From my experience and from the others I’ve heard from on AGN forum having similar issues, Hatsan does NOT have the quality control anywhere near under control.

The first two bottles I filled were fine. It’s a pretty quiet machine and fills fast. In my case the temp remained around 155 degrees F and filled a 74cf bottle from 3000psi to 4500psi in about 20 min. Another AGN member’s lightning overheats within minutes every time, (you can search for his posts on AGN). The auto-purge was a nice feature and the moisture separator was very deceiving. I thought the large gold filter was the desiccant moisture filter, but it is only filled with cotton. There is just a very small amount (Teaspoon) in the block before the hose. I’m not sure if that is really a selling point over the AV like the boast, but it is definitely better than nothing.

A fellow AGN member contacted me having issues with his Lightning compressor and asked if I could check if mine was making the same noise his was. So started to fill my bottle (I didn’t have the same noise as he did) and this time my compressor was losing pressure fast. As it was dropping through about 3500 psi it sounded like a shotgun going off. Ears ringing and everything. I turned it off, let it sit and fired it up again. No pressure at all. After several back and forth’s with Hatsan and Lethal Precision, Hatsan agreed to send me a new compressor, told them I want a brand new one otherwise I wanted a refund. I didn’t spend $1250 for a used compressor. They agreed, but lied and sent me a used compressor.

Replacement Compressor:

It took about two weeks before I received the replacement compressor. They told me the 1st one had a blown head gasket. They also said they tested the replacement and filled one bottle with it. I set it up, did the proper break in and pressure test the manual says to do and it failed the pressure test. The manual has you plug the hose with the supplied dead end fitting, pressurize it to 310 Bar (4500 psi) and it should hold pressure, any less than 10 bar per hour loss is OK. I was losing 70 bar (1000 psi) in 6 min. I called, emailed and filled out a Service form on Hatsan’s website. They still have never responded. I contacted Lethal Precision and they told me to look for leaks. Then after no leaks were found, they said Hatsan told them its normal. I reached out to other Lightning and Air Venturi owners and they said theirs held pressure, just like my first one did before it blew up. I went to test it again and this time the Foster fitting failed. It split sending internal bearings and brass pieces all over the room. Luckily I was not hit. That was the last straw.

After a couple weeks of back and forth’s, Lethal Precision agreed to return it and got Hatsan to pay the return shipping (not 100% if Hatsan paid or LP, but they sent me a label). Now its been over 2 weeks since they received the compressor and I’m still waiting for a refund. I filed a dispute with Paypal and I am waiting for the outcome.

Recommendation:

Hatsan’s customer service was horrible through this whole ordeal. They are slow responding to anything. And then, with the replacement compressor, they never responded to a single email, call or form. Anyone thinking about buying one of Hatsan’s Lightning compressors, my recommendation is DO NOT.

Reactions: WaltherV
@marknagel, thanks for the update and review. Wow, what a horrible experience. I'll tell you that if you have the $$$ for a Daystate LC110 compressor, that is the one to buy.

If not, I would recommend the Tuxing TXED012 or TXED013

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/tuxing-double-cylinder-pcp-air-compressor-taking-the-plunge/

No need to modify it like I did, but just use the bucket and sump pump cooling method. It is critical to use the "gold" filter for a filter/dryer with Zeolite 13X molecular sieve. When mine started having problems tripping its breaker, @josoo here on AGN PM'd me and ended up sending a new breaker, new power switch and new motor controller. When my buddy Nick installed the breaker and controller, the compressor was back on its feet and performing like new. The other recommendation is to use 100% synthetic compressor oil, and not what the manufacturer recommends. I think there is a translation problem or something with that, since hydraulic fluid is not what you want to use. I've used the Royal Purple SynFilm air compressor oil and its worked perfectly in my Tuxing and in my Daystate. 

For 1/2 the price of a Hatsan or AV, you can have basically the same compressor, and good Tuxing factory support. Buy the compressor from TXFACTORY on eBay. You can get the gold filter on eBay or AliExpress for about $65 to $70, and the Zeolite 13X for about $20. So soup to nuts you're good to go for under $700. Tops off 45 minute SCBA tank from 3200 to 4500 in 15 minutes. SAME COMRESSOR MECHANICALLY AS THE HATSAN OR AIR VENTURI. I had mine for almost a year and topped off about 35 tanks with 7.5 hours run time on mine before issues. And then was helped by the factory to fix the issue, and sent free repair parts. 

Mark if it weren't for back luck you would,nt have any luck at all" this is the worst iv herd"listen guy this will get ya of the woods' like centercut said the the Tuxing with the big black head.Get it from E-bay then if ya have any probables send it back.I think theirs some coming out of LA?you can rebuild the top end for $5.00 bucks.Iv filled a couple pcp guns 15 to 20 times and pulled the tops off and found NO moisture in the cylinder.Willy
1540491667_16427068715bd209931aec68.33476586_CIMG6933.JPG

Hatsan has been made aware of this post, along with the compressor complaints from others. 

Not trying to start any flame wars, but think about the famous brand air rifle that costs $2K that from what I’m reading is nothing but a leaky problem from the get go, and from the famous vendor that it was bought from, all the way to the famous out of country maker of the gun, and I read on here post after post after post of no vendor and/or manufacturer support. But still, no grade F for them, or that $2K gun.

I left a vm to hatsan yesterday asking about the coolant fitting retrofit that I wasn’t made aware of, but heard from others on here that bought the Lightning. Within 20 minutes I got a call back, asking me to send pics of the coolant lines. Another call back and forth and they have my parts on the way. They actually did something else for me non compressor related, in my quest for fixing the flexing scope rail on my Hercules Bully. All it took was for them to take my suggestion and put that Bully on a bench with a bipod attached so they could see the design flaw that causes the scope rail to flex, and they are accommodating me to be the test to see if it fixes the problem by sending me a part to see if it’ll work. Does that not sound like service? Great service, I think. Think about it. I’m being “allowed” to modify my gun, for the sake of saving this thing from future bad complaints.

By the way, if my plan fixes this Bully problem, I’ll make sure and announce it out so other Bully owners have an option.

They asked me how I liked my compressor, and I told them I loved it, but at the same breath told them about that they should pay more attention to forum feedback, and that’s when I told them to check out all Lightning posts here on AGN. They said thank you, and they will for sure be reading these. Where it goes from there, I cannot say. 

Thank you, all

Hatsan has been made aware of this post, along with the compressor complaints from others. 

Not trying to start any flame wars, but think about the famous brand air rifle that costs $2K that from what I’m reading is nothing but a leaky problem from the get go, and from the famous vendor that it was bought from, all the way to the famous out of country maker of the gun, and I read on here post after post after post of no vendor and/or manufacturer support. But still, no grade F for them, or that $2K gun.

I left a vm to hatsan yesterday asking about the coolant fitting retrofit that I wasn’t made aware of, but heard from others on here that bought the Lightning. Within 20 minutes I got a call back, asking me to send pics of the coolant lines. Another call back and forth and they have my parts on the way. They actually did something else for me non compressor related, in my quest for fixing the flexing scope rail on my Hercules Bully. All it took was for them to take my suggestion and put that Bully on a bench with a bipod attached so they could see the design flaw that causes the scope rail to flex, and they are accommodating me to be the test to see if it fixes the problem by sending me a part to see if it’ll work. Does that not sound like service? Great service, I think. Think about it. I’m being “allowed” to modify my gun, for the sake of saving this thing from future bad complaints.

By the way, if my plan fixes this Bully problem, I’ll make sure and announce it out so other Bully owners have an option.

They asked me how I liked my compressor, and I told them I loved it, but at the same breath told them about that they should pay more attention to forum feedback, and that’s when I told them to check out all Lightning posts here on AGN. They said thank you, and they will for sure be reading these. Where it goes from there, I cannot say. 

Thank you, all

Stony, it is the Impact I was referring to. I would like to own one of those one day, but am hesitant due to all the leak problems I read about them. Brand new, even. Then I read of complaints about having to pay the shipping to resend the gun back, if the customer even gets a hold of someone. 

Impact owner folks, I am not bashing on that piece of art from FX. Not my point at all. Like I said, I would love to own one. But it seems I not only read up a lot of these problems, but they seem to be on the classifieds a lot, too. Am I wrong? If so, I apologize for using the Impact as my example in comparing with the hatsan compressor issues.

No problem Big about your concerns on the impact, I own 1 since dec2016. It has been a great gun for me. It has taken me a while to figure out how to tune it correctly. I did put a Huma reg in it. When i bought it I had the same concerns and was told by AOA (most) problems were caused the owner/operator. I document the pressure every time I put it away and no leaks as of now late October 2018. I also own a FX bobcat and both guns are lights out accurate and problem free. BTW AOA has been a great dealer to deal with.

Augie, there's just as many Daystates if not more than Fxs on the classifieds. What does that have anything to do whatsoever with reliability? ? Don't understand your point.

Just trying to get the point across that we shouldn’t condemn a maker of a product over a few bad seeds. Hatsan does make a good product, I feel. That compressor drew a lot of attention with all its bells and whistles, just like the new Airguns being put out. The compressors first run had some negative feedback, just like some of the new Airguns. Bottom line, me personally, I hate seeing a product bashed bad especially in its infancy. 

But, customer support and neglecting to respond back to a customers emails and phone calls is a whole different ballgame. I think that is the major point of frustration with this compressor.

i shared with another buyer of this compressor thru private text that I felt bad, for singing the praises of this compressor when it came out, and when folks took my report and bought that compressor they got the bad seeds. I truly feel I was one of the first ones to have this lightning in my hands, cause at the time I purchased, it was still two months before hatsan had them in stock.

I think all of the problems with mine can be traced back to the shipping. I have lost all respect for UPS and Fedex these days. They seem to be sick and tired of delivering stuff to people without damage. If I was pointing a "horrible experience" finger at anyone in my scenario with the Hatsan compressor, it would totally be them. They delivered my Omega Turbo Charger in WAY worse shape than even the Hatsan. 
I do agree that we should not expect problems, but if there are going to be any, its in the first run of any mechanical device. Its the reason I don't buy the first model year of any car, no matter how nice it is.

I think all of the problems with mine can be traced back to the shipping. I have lost all respect for UPS and Fedex these days. They seem to be sick and tired of delivering stuff to people without damage. If I was pointing a "horrible experience" finger at anyone in my scenario with the Hatsan compressor, it would totally be them. They delivered my Omega Turbo Charger in WAY worse shape than even the Hatsan. 
I do agree that we should not expect problems, but if there are going to be any, its in the first run of any mechanical device. Its the reason I don't buy the first model year of any car, no matter how nice it is.

Mine arrived missing parts of the wooden frame that surround the cardboard box. UPS definitely was not diligent in the handling of the package. 

Status
Not open for further replies.