Hatsan Hatsan Jet, the air gun I will never own

What caliber, more details?
25cal

170397631242058249988200686158.jpg

I happen to like my .22 Jet 2. It is fun to shoot, and has taken out many pests in my small yard. It serves it's purpose as an inexpensive, small, lightweight, short range pistol/carbine. It seems some people have very unrealistic expectations for a gun this size... If you want a gun with better shot string, more accurate at longer distances, then buy one that is designed for that. It's like buying a Prius and complaining about not winning any races...

You were drag racing, in a Prius ??

I don't win a lot !

Last edited:
Reactions: McMullen
@nobody1

Normally I would defend the gun brand you are flogging but I had the Jet in my cart so many time but just couldn’t get over all the bad initial reviews.

It does look cool though. I’ll bet it can be tamed

Correction … the NP03 stock can be removed with a single hex not the Notos.
I know you have both.
The Notos has 4 small screws which are used to attach the stock (using a hex key).
I can attach the stock in 1 minute and detach the stock in 1 minute.

Most people here, who appreciate the Jet, are calling it a "barn gun".
Good enough accuracy and power at very short range (less than 20 yards).

If I have no barn, should I still buy a Jet ? :)
Considering the guns I know you have I don’t think the Jet covers anything your Present line up doesn’t.
I’d pass on it ….

It is cool looking though

Most people here, who appreciate the Jet, are calling it a "barn gun".
Good enough accuracy and power at very short range (less than 20 yards).

If I have no barn, should I still buy a Jet ? :)
I'll let you know once I receive mine, but I'll either tell you should buy one or buy mine. 😀

i bought the jet-1 in .22 yesterday for using in my barns up close pesting with heavy pellets.
hopefully i can slow the fps down with heavies since you cant adjust the HST.
should arrive next friday/saturday......
It only takes a few minutes to disassemble a Jet 1 if you want to replace the hammer spring with a weaker one. That should help with the longevity of your valve stem too.

Reactions: gendoc
I have spent many hours researching the Hatsan Jet on various air gun websites, independent posts and Youtube videos (most of these are positive since these guys are either clueless or have something to sell).

In the past week, Midway USA had the Hatsan Jets on clearance (Jet 1 177/25 for $136 and Jet 2 177/22 for $178).
Those lowered prices triggered even more research, and still the same crappy shot strings and acceptable short range (15-25 yards) accuracy.

Every time I have an itch for a Hatsan Jet I seem to buy a different air gun, like my second Umarex Notos or a Gamo Arrow.

This is my conclusion
The shot string is really bad (2 consistent magazines at most), and the accuracy seems pretty bad (especially in .177) or if you shoot past 20 yards.
Many people will cut and recrown their barrels to improve their poor accuracy, still the limit is about 20-25 yards.

Overall performance is much worse than the Umarex Notos or even the 13-14 year old Benjamin Marauder pistol (my PROD with a BStaley mod would be vastly better than the Jet).

After all my research, the main thing I like about the Jet are its cool looks,.
But I will not buy anything (or marry anyone) based on looks :)
How's that Arrow working out for ya?

Why did Kral discontinue the NP-03 when it basically dominates this "segment"?

I have one in .25 and it's incredibly accurate with Polymags and I also like using the H&N Field Target pellets for 800+ fps. It does about 32 FPE.
That’s a good question. I just recently bought a second NP03.
I just shot it next to 2 other very accurate guns I have
( tuned PCPs ). NP easily hangs in accuracy and is a fairly light, fairly short gun.
It’s an easy gun to shoot well.
It’s a shame, Great gun.

I’m going to repost this here and some additional follow up at the request of nobody1:

I just got a chance to shoot this yesterday and a little bit today and I’ve got to say I am blown away by what a complete and utter turd it is.

Where to start? Well the muzzle threads don’t align with the bore for one. It doesn’t matter what moderator I put on it, I get baffle strikes with them all and approximately 4” groups at 10 yards. And it’s not just a matter of using a slightly oversized mod. I’m already using a .30 mod on a .22 gun. It doesn’t end there though. Even if it weren’t clipping pellets the front and rear optics rails are approximately 1/16” out of alignment with each other. So when you mount a scope on it it will always shoot way too low even with the elevation maxed out. The front rails not a real picatinny rail either and the part that is supposed to accept picatinny mounts is very short. It may appear to run the full length, but most of that is actually an 11mm dovetail with picatinny style slots cut in it.

It’s a long, long way from being backyard friendly as well. Without a moderator I’d compare it to a .22lr shooting subsonic ammo. The pistol grip is way too small for my hand as well. My pinky overhangs the bottom of the grip and the deepset finger grooves in no way fit my fingers. Now I am 6’1” and stocky so take that for what it’s worth, but I would guess that if you’re at all bigger than average you probably won’t find the grip fits you either.

From what I can tell, it doesn’t have a shot curve to it, (well maybe if you gassed it up to 300 bar). When you fill it up to its max pressure it just loses a little velocity with every shot. I decided initially that given its small size and air volume I’d consider its shot curve to be good over a 50 fps spread. As it turns out that was 17 shots. And I could actually live with that. There may not be a decent shot curve, but the velocities were reasonably consistent for the first 14 shots or two magazines worth and my gx compressor fills it back up in about the same time it takes to reload the magazines.

All in all just an extremely disappointing gun and one I would strongly advise everyone to avoid. I got mine at the midway clearance price of $190 after tax, but honestly I wouldn’t advise you to buy it unless it was under $100 and you were buying it as a project that you knew you would have to fix straight out of the box.

Follow up.

I’ve since managed to fix my Jet2. It doesn’t really change my opinion of it though as I never should have had to fix a new gun in the first place.

The baffle clipping was caused by swarth? on the end of the barrel cover. The way 1/2 UNF moderators and adapters work is by the shoulder of them adjoining with the end of the barrel, shroud or cover perfectly and that holds them parallel with the barrel. The end of the barrel cover of my Jet however was not true as it had both a cast line and uneven metal protruding from around the threaded portion. So when I tightened down the adapter to it instead of being aligned with the barrel it was off just enough to cause baffle strikes. I fixed this by using two crescent wrenches and seriously overtightening it, probably around 30 ft lbs. This seems to have flattened or removed any swarth that was protruding and I am no longer getting baffle strikes.

As far as the scope misalignment goes I shimmed up the rear mount with 13! layers of aluminum from a pop can. This still didn’t center the mount, but it at least brought it to a point where I could sight the gun in.
Here you can kind of see just how much I have shimmed it.
1704665429423.png