• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Hatsan Bullboss 25 and beavers

Weekend before last, I hunted beavers for the first time. An acquaintance had flooding issues on their property due to the beavers damming up the creek, and asked for my help. I did some studying online, rolled up my sleeves and got to work. I busted up the dam enough to get the water draining, and set up my mini blind. Ended up shooting three of them, but two of them washed through the breach in the dam and were lost downstream. This is the second-biggest of the three, a female, and she weighed 47.5 pounds. I didn't realize they could get this big.

1583472733_13616538045e61e05dd68db6.87788204.jpg
1583472775_4889967565e61e087ceef66.35016048.JPG

Just goes to show what a well-placed shot to the brain is capable of. I used my Hatsan Bullboss in 25 caliber, shooting JSB Exact Kings around 900 FPS. Ranges were between 25 and 30 yards. I tried using my Crown 30 cal, but even at 6X the field of view in the Hawke Sidewinder is too small for fast target acquisition at such short ranges, and I was only able to get the smallest of the three beavers with the Crown. And believe me, you have to be fast when beavers are working! On day two, I carried the Bullboss with the ATN X-Sight II set to 3X, and life got a lot easier. Ended up getting the other two after much waiting for the right opportunities. I skinned out the one I recovered, and hope to make a nice fur hat or two from the pelt. Two days ago I cooked one of the hams, and was surprised at how delicious and tender it turned out. Beaver bites with spaghetti squash!

1583473955_12259806255e61e523bcf146.52773392.jpg

If you like wild game but have trouble with it turning out tough, I would encourage you to check out a style of cooking called steamboat. This was my first time trying it, and it was very easy. 

Thanks for taking the time to read my post. I wanted to share my success with you, and show what our airguns are capable of when utilized properly. Shoot straight, speak the truth, and be kind to one another!

James

Reactions: wyshadow
Theiceman Did you have to have a fur bearing liscence or beaver tag for the beaver ? I know all states are different & I see your in NC just wondering . I never thought of eating them but that platter looks delicious . BTW what did it taste like or should I say compare too.

Here in NC you have to have a hunting license if you hunt them, and a trapper's license to trap them. I think the trapper's license is required if you intend to sell the fur, as well, but I'm not positive. Apparently beaver are a big nuisance here, as the season is quite long, and the rules are much more lax regarding beaver depredation when they are destroying private property. As for the taste, I'd say it made me think of very tender beef, but with a more savory flavor. The grain of the meat is much smaller and denser. It may take the title as my new favorite wild game.

James 

Wow, very cool. It looks pretty large on the tailgate of the truck but the picture on the table with you standing next to it really puts the size into perspective. I have never seen a beaver that large before. In Canada in some places they have beaver tails to eat but they are a pastry type desert lol.

Thanks! I'm 6'1" and 230 pounds, if that helps give it more perspective. Average size of beaver here in North Carolina is 30 to 50 pounds, so she was close to the upper limit. I threw the tail away this time, but I think I shall try to cook it next time if I can find a decent-looking recipe.

Theiceman Did you have to have a fur bearing liscence or beaver tag for the beaver ? I know all states are different & I see your in NC just wondering . I never thought of eating them but that platter looks delicious . BTW what did it taste like or should I say compare too.

Here in NC you have to have a hunting license if you hunt them, and a trapper's license to trap them. I think the trapper's license is required if you intend to sell the fur, as well, but I'm not positive. Apparently beaver are a big nuisance here, as the season is quite long, and the rules are much more lax regarding beaver depredation when they are destroying private property. As for the taste, I'd say it made me think of very tender beef, but with a more savory flavor. The grain of the meat is much smaller and denser. It may take the title as my new favorite wild game.

James

Thanks for the reply & happy hunting darell