• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Hatsan Barrage failing to cycle pellets...

Hi... I found a really nice guide on how to adjust the 2 screws in the back to regulate the magazine cycling mechanism on the Hatsan Barrage, but the problem is that the guide does not say what exactly does each screw or what you are changing when tightening/loosing each screw.

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/hatsan-barrage-feed-problem-solution/

I would hate to start moving things and guessing what they do because I will not know if I'm messing something else...

I called Hatsan but it seems they do not answer the phone... they want you to send a contact form.... Still waiting for a response..

Does anyone know what the big screw does? how about the small one?

If on the back of receiver in line with hammer ? BIG screw is Hammer Spring Tension.

If in too far the HST can become excessive and it won't re-cock either.

Now if gun is re-cocking every shot but no pellet is cycling ? ... then you quite likely have a magazine issue be it dirt/lead chaff fouling it or spring tension on cassette has skipped/slipped out of position etc ....

Not sure what exactly you define as "re-cocking" so I do not want to give you the wrong impression

Mmmm, basically this is what happens.

- load magazine and move bolt forward so one pellet is loaded in the barrel.

-Press trigger and loaded pellet go out the barrel, but the cycle does not get to load a new pellet.

-so I press the trigger again and again and again, and the only thing I get out of the barrel is compressed air.

- I have to manually pull the bolt back and then forward to get the system to work and load a new pellet in the barrel. 

I have tried with different magazines and they all do basically the same. Although I have to admit they are all the same age.

Rifle and magazines are less than a year old.

I have run less than 500 pellets through the rifle.

I ordered 3 new magazines that I should get any time soon.

About the back screw being to far out, I do not think it is.... I'm attaching a picture.

1592844091_19126970135ef0df3bd508f1.38603958.jpg

"RE-COCK" meaning this is a SEMI AUTO and the sear is designed to re-set / re-cock itself with each trigger pull.

If that is happening ? and able to Blap blap blap shots one after another then the system is recocking / resetting it self.

The issue sounds like the cocking mechanics ARE NOT going far enough rearward to allow the magazine to index / rotate so fresh pellet rotates into position for loading on the bolt closing cycle.

I've only worked on a single Barrage and had to do some major trigger work on the pins that index all the reset mechanic. The plastic housing was very worn, pins were really soft and had LOTS of wear. WAS NOT IMPRESSED.

What you likely will need to do is:

REMOVE SHROUD

REMOVE STOCK

REMOVE Side Plate over the cocking rack gears

Make sure ALL the linkages, push rod etc has no binding and when pushing on the gas piston near muzzle while watching the gear rack, push back & cycle bolt to see that enough travel / motion is happening to allow magazine to index/rotate.

Good luck !

Well, I do not know what the hell happened.

The shroud on the barrel was maybe 1 or 1 1/2 turns lose.

Also, 1 of the two #5 Allen screw next to the gauge was not all the way tight... it needed maybe half turn.

I just put everything back together and went through 3 full magazines with not even one fail to feed or reload.... 

Not sure what it was.... I'm going to try to get the sight to calibrate again tomorrow and see what happens then...

Sorry to break it to you, but I had a bullmaster. I would spend all my time tweaking it and not shooting. The guns blow back system is very fragile. It can fill with lead and there is so much friction. 

Clean off all the grease and find the lightest lube you can. At the end of the barrel there is like w Piston type device. Lube the oring that runs against the shroud. You can play with the rod that charges the gun. Get as much slack you can out of it.

Bottom line the gun is not capturing enough power to reset the spring and pull the hammer back enough to cycle the nest pellet.

Well, It seems I jinxed myself. I went to dial up the scope back today and I do not think that I went through a single magazine (8 different ones) without at least 4 failure to load...

The other problem is that nobody answers the phone at Hatsan either!!!

Hey davidsng!!! yes, I noticed a crapload of lead dust between the barrel and the shroud... I cleaned it and lubricated it still having some failures to load.. I will try again tomorrow.

If you do not mind me asking, what product are you using to clean and what to lubricate?

Hey Cootertwo!!! I usually avoid fixing stuff that it is not broken, but in this case, it was failing already...

Not sure what HAtsan warranty period is. The rifle is less than a year so I guess that I could still send it to them to have it fixed.

I would hate to pay for that shipping and the time it would take for them to fix it, if it is something simple.

Do you guys also have a bunch of seals and o-rings that came with the rifle but you have no clue where they go?

Am I the only one? is it there a tutorial on how to service this rifle?

The O-ring at the end of the barrel looks kind of "loose".. not sure if it is supposed to be like that.

I was going to replace it but I do not think they send you one of those.