• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Hatsan Barrage and Sortie Feed Problems.

I recently imported a Barrage and a Sortie Wood from Spain because I wanted the wood stocked models. Now when I test fired them they will only fire the first pellet. Apparently the bolt does not retract enough when fired as semiautomatic to release the magazine to rotate. They work fine as bolt action repeaters when the bolt is retracted by hand. Has anyone else experienced this feed problem? Has anyone found a solution to this feed problem? I can not return them to a US dealer for warranty repair since I bought them from a dealer in Spain. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

DIY .
Take a picture of every single screw/seal/part , good clean fun and how it is with grey market airguns.

Maybe, PA actually works on them - they may send them back to? as the seem to just ship a new one when this know problem occurs.
Pretty y sure it wouldn't even be worth a call to hatsan.

A different rifle and there might be several well known tuners to choose from ( if your not a DIY type maybe stick to the best know rifles for this reason).
You could call AZ just to see if he "might" be willing to take a look but that wont be too inexpensive and he might well just say no thank you.

Basic tools and a camera and strip that puppy down, should be very straight forward and you might take a liking to them and start a cottage industry.

John

Hi John, 
Thanks for the comments and suggestions. PA won't work on them and I am waiting for a response from both Hatsan, HatsanUSA and the Spainish dealer before I do what you suggest and dig into them. Hopefully they will do something under warranty. It is interesting to note that Hatsan supplies a number of internal O-rings and some lubricating grease with the guns. I wonder if that means they expect you to work on them yourself. Too bad they do not supply instructions. Who is "AZ" ? I am new to Airgun Nation and do not know him.

I am very familiar with tearing into the old CO2 Schimel and American Luger pistols. In fact I have written five books on them. But I haven't tried a HPA gun like the Barrage or Sortie yet. I assume I need to drain the pressure down before I open one up.

As you are aware of the possible dangers,
Yes firing it down will work, too much firing w/out ANY air "may" (? on many/most airguns) cause damage so dont keep dry firing.

A bit of an odd design , I thought they used a monoblock receiver but it seem the bottle has a block attached to the receiver.

Some thing that are NOT recommended but are done ( will all due caution)
#1 would have been, if bottle has a pin valve, unscrew a 1/4 turn at a time firing each time until valve closes and your out of air.
If bottle ( and it do NOT look that way from pics but ) has a dowty washer - and on a rifle with a fill probe or air gauge that uses one) just unscrew it, scarry the first time but safe.
The AA400/500 fill unit is an example of this.

Have a "blanking plug"? Unscrew that.
Air gauge? Generally tghe last thing you would want to bleed with but.

Call hatsan and ask them then let us all know.

Allen Zasadny is one of the best know pre-charged tuners , lives in Idaho. Is not inexpensive but I've never seen any rifle he would work on that did not come back 100% ( may have happened but I've not heard of a single complaint ever ), he is not inexpensive but his work is top shelf.

John

John, thanks for the information. Would you know of any other gunsmith who would work on the Sortie and Barrage? AZ appears to be quite busy and I see no way to ask him if he even works on the Hatsans. I know the bolt does not retract far enough to release the rotor in the magazine but I do not know what controls the amount of bolt retraction.

Karl

I took a chance and called HatsanUS and was directed to the technical and repair extension. I explained the problem and he gave me a solution I could try. It was (1) remove the stock, (2) put bolt forward, (3) insert a 4 mm allen wrench into the bottom hole at the rear of the gun, and turn it counterclockwise. I turned the wrench 1 1/2 turns and then reassembled the gun. I tested it with two full magazines and it operated properly. No more feeding problems. I have only praise for the HatsanUS technical person.

1533275247_17002212915b63ec6fc0faf2.16051522_image.jpg

Is Hatsan made by Evanix; because that picture looks very similar to a Rainstorm receiver. I've been looking at The Barrage, Umarex Hammer, Gamo's new .357 & .45 single shots, Hatsan Hercules, and MAYBE A RAW .30 but I'm NOT happy Air Force owns RAW now. Also considering continuing in great results with a regulated RSII in .30 & adding a quick fill. Don't these manufactures know probes kill deals?

Urak, nem tudom, szóba álltok-e egy magyar Sortie, de nekem sehogy se sikerül Sortiet beállítani, kenést finomítottam, a kalapács rúgót félfordulatonként állítottam erősebbre, gyengébbre, lőszereket cseréltem, kivettem a levegő szűkítését a beömlési nyílásból, de sehogy se tölt, csak felhúzza, a töltőrúd nem jön eléggé hátra? Török Hatsan nem válaszol! Köszönöm, ha van ötlete!

Gentlemen, I don't know if you're a Hungarian Sortie, but I can't set Sorti anyway, I refined the lubrication, I set the hammer spring stronger and weaker every half turn, I changed ammunition, I took the air restriction out of the inlet, but it doesn't charge, pull up, the charging rod doesn’t come back enough? Turkish Hatsan does not answer! Thanks if you have an idea!

To add to the instructions that Hatsan provided above:

(1) de-pressurize gun
(2) remove the stock
(3) put bolt forward
(4) insert a 4 mm allen wrench into the bottom hole at the rear of the gun, but first you have to loosen the set screw on the bolt and then you can turn it counterclockwise
(5) turn the wrench 1 1/2 turns
(6) reassembled stock

I tried this but it didnt work for me.....magazine still jamming?

Will continue to troubleshoot.

Last edited:
Hi John,
Thanks for the comments and suggestions. PA won't work on them and I am waiting for a response from both Hatsan, HatsanUSA and the Spainish dealer before I do what you suggest and dig into them. Hopefully they will do something under warranty. It is interesting to note that Hatsan supplies a number of internal O-rings and some lubricating grease with the guns. I wonder if that means they expect you to work on them yourself. Too bad they do not supply instructions. Who is "AZ" ? I am new to Airgun Nation and do not know him.

I am very familiar with tearing into the old CO2 Schimel and American Luger pistols. In fact I have written five books on them. But I haven't tried a HPA gun like the Barrage or Sortie yet. I assume I need to drain the pressure down before I open one up.
How do I find your book on American Luger?