• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Hatsan 95 Pellet Recommendations?

I just sighted the 95 in. I fed it some of everything I had except the Greens. There is about a 5 to 6 inch drop from 14.3 to the 16+ grain range at 20 yards, so I am guessing a 13 to 14 grain is going to be the ticket. I am almost afraid to try the Greens!

Shockingly, it likes the Crosman Points more than anything else so far. I hit a 10 mm bull three out of five before i quit. I am not used to anything that takes that much muscle to cock, and I am going to be sore.

I’ve had mine for about 4 months. My biggest complaint is the trigger is too heavy. I have adjusted it down a bit. Mine also shot the Crosman pellets pretty good. But best average i could get was 1 1/8” shooting at 22 yards. I’ve now switched to H&N field target and when all goes well I can get an inch group at that distance. Id suggest sorting your pellets by weight. I believe it helps prevent that occasional flyer. It is very “hold sensitive “ mine needs to have the buttstock pulled tight into my shoulder. The cocking will get a little easier. And you yourself will lean the best way to hold the gun to get the best leverage. It’s a fun gun to shoot. I hope you enjoy yours.here is my early econo. Night vision set up. And also the reason I got the gun 🐀 

1569005884_12006502985d85213c80bce4.89456433_C98C6687-DE9A-4F77-8AB2-816F0A481E83.png

Is it a new rifle? If so, the velocity may very well increase somewhat after 300 to 500 pellets. I would suggest simply shooting what you have on hand/what it likes best and let everything wear in.

Once it settles down,it may change its preference for what pellets it prefers. Straight Shooters used to sell sampler packs and thats a good route to go. (Hopefully they Still Do.)

Have fun!

Mike

I have about 200 shots or so through it now.

It is a refurb and isn't dieseling, but the lockup was still hard and the cocking is the heaviest i have had in a while, but I think the length of the barrel has something to do with that. The others are much longer.

I watched the video on how to remove and improve the trigger, and even if you have no plans to do so, you should too.. That way you fully understand the adjustments.

I fully explored the trigger, and was shocked a little by what i found. I added weight back to it and left it alone. A good smith could make it target grade in an hour. As it is, if i lighten it up, it feels like a three stage trigger because of the grit. There is a predictable second wall I hope will work out. I added the weight back so when it breaks, you don't notice the grit. About three pounds I would guess. 

Back the screw out a full turn and then cock the gun. Listen as you do. The sound is loud and positive as it latches. Now, turn the screw in a little at a time, testing the trigger, but also listening to the latching sound. As you do, the sound gets soft and mushy, like the trigger if you back off on the spring. I added a little engagement back and then a little spring to make it snap through the roll. 

I need to talk to someone that actually knows these triggers. .

Sounds to me like you already have I good idea of how air rifles (and triggers ) work. More so than the average guy. My trigger is not gritty and I like the little bit of first stage take up. After about 1000 Crosman pellets I scrubbed the barrel then switch over to the H&N pellets. FYI accuracy went to poop with the clean barrel. About 200 pellets it grouped good enough and cocking effort it much easier. I say just keep shooting.

Under the pressures generated when that piston slams forward, the same thing happens to oil in there that happens to oil sprayed into a cylinder of a spinning diesel engine.

Used to be, rifles came with enough oil in the chamber that you had to shoot them until they stopped actually having an explosion every time you pulled the trigger. In the older guns, the oil was added and was a consumable applied by the leather seal itself each shot.

This can be manipulated to create speeds far in excess of what compressed air will do, but you can't really do so consistently, the soot of the burning fuel fouls the barrel rather quickly, and it is just a mess. The seal that works so well, was not designed for the pressures we are talking about, so you can damage the seal. The pressure can actually slam the piston back at least partway.

It is a "hold my beer" kind of stunt when done deliberately.

I've done a couple Quattro triggers at this point and found that along with a total disassembly,a thorough cleaning and some judicious polishing along with a quality lube...And a slightly longer (1-1.5 mm) 1st stage adjustment screw,these triggers can be Quite nice.

I do my preliminary adjustment with the trigger unit out of the rifle. Using the sear engagement "window",I get a nearly perfect setting prior to completing the assembly process and FINE adjustment in addition to bump testing for safe operation.

Btw,I checked the Straight Shooters website and they still have the "Pellet Sampler Packs." They are priced in the mid-$30 range for .22 cal.

Mike.

Thanks!

I think you have me figured a little wrong. I have a tin of Redfires, a tin of Gamo Match, A tin of Gamo Hunters, a tin of Barracuda Match, a tin of Barracuda Green, a tin of Superpoints, and tins of Crosman Pirahna, Premiers, HPs, and Points on the desk right now, along with several other varieties of empty tins, like the Stoeger Match. 

I have pellets and locals that sell the better brands even.

I don't have a chronograph right now, since I use the neighbors, and he is using it elsewhere right now. I fired all three rifles into a four by four post at 6 inches yesterday with Crosman HP's. Three times, same general area and condition for each three shots. Using a pin to measure depth, there wasn't a good millimeter difference in the penetration between the three.

The power level is very similar. Both of the others shoot the 12.96 Greens into half inch groups at 20 yards if the shooter does his part. As others have mentioned, this is known at this power level. Now, if we used the Greens in all three, assuming they shoot well out of the 95 also, an afternoon with my grandson would eat $40 just in pellets.

That can't be here. I am not wealthy, and if i was, I would be tighter than I am now likely.

I guess I am looking for the great white whale again. A 13 grain or 13.5 grain pellet, which is the perfect weight for the power level, that doesn't cost a fortune. I was hoping it existed. Thew Snipers are one candidate i have not tried yet.

The trigger is interesting, but I am not ready to tear anything down yet. Being able to see the engagement would be a bonus, since the sound changes so much as you turn that screw in. I also could not get it to fire bumping the butt or smacking the stock from the side with my hand. I may take it all the way back in and leave the spring where it is for a few hundred pellets.

Also, don't think because I am blunt, that I am complaining. I am not. The rifle is an amazing deal for what I paid. If I went through any of them critically, it would sound like I hated them and considered them junk. The impression would be completely wrong. Compared to my old Mendosa that you used two fingers on the trigger and cleaned the soot every few shots, or maybe the old 220 that literally would throw a scope at you from time to time, all three are amazing rifles.

The 95 has interested me for some time. I have been eyeballing the refurbished units at Field Supply for some time.

I purchased a refurbished .177 Umarex Gauntlet and just Love it! Personally,I feel that the "refurbs" are an Excellent deal and have No problem at All with them.

Just curious,which did you get...spring or Vortek? I would maybe go with the gas piston model if I do end up with one. Thanks!

Mike

I got the gas ram version without the sound reduction. The barrel is short, and even then the tall front sight keeps you from using all of that even. I am sure I will get used to it, but it is a bear to cock right now.

I am pleased with the purchase so far. If it keeps shooting the Crosman Points as well as it is, it may save more in pellet costs than it cost in a short time!

Today I hung a fresh target and opened the Crosman HP's, a pellet i know the gun doesn't shoot as well as others. I wanted to see if i could set my grandson's and my rifle up so we were both shooting the same pellet. 

The HP's are one of the most widely available and cheapest out there. $7.10 a tin of 500 with tax.

I printed up some of the sighter targets from here. The one with the red square center surrounded by yellow. https://www.targets.ws/sight-in-targets.htm

At twenty yards I fired about 30 through the 95 first. Most could be covered by a quarter, and none were a full inch from the bull. All but 6 were touching red, and two of the six i called. My first shot of the day being one of them.

I grabbed the Maxxim and loaded ten, hung a fresh target and fired ten. None of them were an inch from the aim point, and most were touching red or in a hole on the edge of the red.

In both cases they are okay for plinking, but in both guns you had better be on your game when shooting them. 20 yard squirrels for sure, but neither likes them enough to make them a deliberate choice other than price. 

Pirahnas next. The gun has about 450 shots through it so far, and it may have picked up a step. The Pirahnas are $10 plus tax for 500 locally.

The Sniper Lites arrived. They are maybe a touch more accurate than the Crosman HP's out of the 95, and they penetrate pretty well for a light pellet. Still not what I am looking for, but usable in a pinch.

One day free delivery is sweet!

So, the Pirahnas have been pushed back a day.. I really am trying to avoid them, since they are twice the price of the HP's, and almost as expensive as the Crosman points. Unless they do a lot better than the HP's, they were out of the race before it starts.

Today the 95 seems to be either smoothing down a little, or I am getting used to it. I loaded one pellet and handed the Maxxim to my grandson, telling him there was a squirrel on the target board. He hit the bull/kill dot right on the edge as his first shot at 20 yards, but then immediately talked about the smell of something burning. It did the same a little later where even i smelled it. It had sat for 24 hours or so, but that is the first time since we first got iot that it smelled like it was burning oil. Once the new scope arrives, I will test the snipers in the Trail also.

Not a bad pellet in either rifle, but not the one. Maybe the Trail will like them.

I cocked it several times then removed the stock and used moly on the slot, letting the piston spread it. I reset the GRT3 . I filed the lug to make it lock up hard enough it doesn't even feel like the same rifle. I removed the shroud and removed the lead chunk that was large enough it looked like it was clipping the other pellets.. No idea how it got there. I re-torqued the shroud. I adjusted the hinge.

It is shooting pretty good now. I need rings to put a scope back on it until I decide on a new scope. It is shooting much better and the power seems to be similar to the Maxxim and the 95 right now. Same penetration in solid targets.

The Centerpoint 3 x 9 x 40 is on the 95 for the break in shooting. It is pretty much bullet proof, so i am not risking that many shots on a new scope by using the Centerpoint for these first few tins. . 

Long as that scope is, it is really still too far forward for field use,so I will be buying the mount I should have bought the first time, or I will be needing a long scope/ more eye relief. I can't believe I misread that as bad as i did, especially after the reviews. The Centerpoint will go back on the Trail after the 95 gets new glass. Until then it will be wearing an old Weaver 4x that has survived many guns, from magnums to air rifles.

I may try to trade for a decent scope for the 95 instead of buying. Whatever, I am still one scope short. Hard to shoot a Trail to test pellets without a scope, and i need a set of rings to fit the old Weaver.