Hatsan 95 accuracy: .22 vs .25

azscot,

Try using a firm grip to see if your groups improve. Also check your pellet fit by pushing a pellet through the bore with a cleaning rod. Does the pellet pass down the bore tightly or loosely?

I had a Beeman Kodiak .25 for a long time. The best group I could manage was 5/8 to 3/4 inch c.t.c. at 23 yards and that was with a VERY firm grip with both hands and pulling the gun firmly into my shoulder......totally opposite from commonly accepted piston gun practices. If I held the gun gently groups opened up to 1.25 inches or more.

I also discovered my bore was quite large. I could push any H&N .25 pellet through the bore with a cleaning rod and it came out the muzzle with little or no sign of rifling. In fact, sometimes just the weight of the cleaning rod was enough to push a pellet through following a little tap to get it moving.

Airguns of Arizona recommended JSB Exact King pellets because they said they ran a little larger in diameter than the H&N's. They were correct and Kings proved to be the most accurate pellet by far in my gun.

I eventually sold that gun with full disclosure about its accuracy. 

Bear-of-grayling

That's disturbing. I've never seen a crown that rough.

Would mind sharing the 25 yd, or whatever, group sizes you're getting with your Hatsan 25s? Is the 95 as accurate as any others when tuned?

I like the 95 because the cocking effort is moderate and it goes with my HWS30. I don't need the extra 100 or so fps of the magnum .25s.

Scot

SteveP-52

What is the size of the barrel nut inside the shroud? Whoever installed mine over-torqued it or the socket came loose, in any case 2 sides are rounded off and 14, 15, 16 mm won't fit over the nut.

My hopeful solution is to take an old socket and grind out the socket where the rounded off part of the nut is. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Scot

Hello All,

I think I've found the problem with my Hatsan 95, LOL. I slugged the barrel today with a JSB and an Air Arms pellet.

Both of them barely showed any rifling marks on the skirt and none on the nose. The slugged pellets miked at 0.251" at the skirt.

The skirt on the JSB was 0.255 and on the Air Arms 0.257, which is probably why it shot better but the rifling marks on it were not even around the pellet's skirt.

This is the second Hatsan 95 I've tried, the first was a springer. Same sort of accuracy issues.

It appears getting a decent Hatsan today is a crap shoot. I wonder if the quality has gone down recently. The only 3 break barrel or lever cocking air rifles I know of are made by Hatsan, Benjamin and Weirauch. The Weirauch are currently unavailable and have a higher cocking weight than I want, as well as being so expensive.

Opinions on the Benjamin Trail NP 725? I've heard the trigger is bad; can it be tuned?

Thanks for all the help and information. It will be useful on the next air rifle.

Scot

For .25 caliber in a break barrel, no, there aren't many choices. While I own 5, all 5 are Hatsans. My first getting back into shooting was a Model 95 Vortex back in 2015 before they came out with the new QE shrouded barrels. That one is now a springer after I got an itch to tinker with the gas ram and blew out the seals in that ram...lol. I also have an AirTact, an Edge Vortex, an Edge Springer and a Model 87QE which except for a few cosmetic differences is a Model 95 and came with the QE shroud. Never slugged any of mine, just tried the JSB's first, they all shot them well and what I stuck with although I've heard/read a few stories on oversized barrels on newer models than mine.

I honestly know absolutely nothing about the Trail NP 725 other than the name. Random lame guess is the trigger could be changed out to a Charlie da Tuna GRT III trigger to make it much better. Maybe try YouTube and see if you can find any videos/reviews of them??? Cometa also makes a .25 called the Fenix 400 but from a quick search, I think the only way to get one is to order from someplace like Aceros de Hispania in Spain or Mundilar in Portugal since I couldn't find a US retailer still selling them.

Random lame question but did you buy yours new or as a refurb? The rounded edges on that shroud nut make me think someone tried taking it off for the same reasons you wanted to, no clue or even considered it might have thread lock on it and when the socket tore it up, they put it back together and returned the rifle knowing no one would open it to check.

Hi SteveP-52

Thanks for the information on .25 break barrels. Most of the articles I've read about the Hatsans are several years old and I wonder if their quality has dropped, maybe due to Covid & lack of trained workers or whatever.

Someone else suggested Charliedatuna triggers and they do make one for the Benjamin Trail. That looks like an easy solution.

As for the rifle being a refurb or return, that crossed my mind also. However, as I found out too late, Walmart has a no return policy on air guns. But, the rifle arrived in the retail display box, not the heavy cardboard shipping box that the other Hatsan did. The box was damaged and had obviously fallen open during shipping because almost all the foam packaging was missing, the Allen screws were missing and the scope wasn't in any sort of protective covering & one lens cap was off. The rifle, etc. had just been thrown back in the box and it was taped up. The muzzle nut holding the QE components in was damaged as though it'd fallen on a hard surface.

So the question is why did Walmart ship it without the shipping container unless it had been returned to a store or already shipped to someone before me? Maybe someone raised enough Hell because they don't make the non-returnable status obvious that they took it back after the first owner screwed up the locking nut. It is hard to see how that damage would have occurred during assembly.

I decided to try it before I put a claim into the shipping company, so that is the next step.

Based on Tom Gaylord's review of a .22 Benjamin NP Trail and some other reviews I ordered one. We'll see how that goes and how much harder it is to cock. Of course, those reviews were pre-Covid also.

Scot

Krale has the HW97 .25 in stock right now. I ordered a HW98 .22 cal from Krale Monday just before lunch. It shipped Tuesday from Germany according to the tracking info. I received it yesterday before lunch in Southern Alabama. ( moved here 5 years ago from Michigan) If you want the best, this would be it. May get one myself.

D4EA0E4A-9BAC-4139-A86B-3538B1C26BFB.1642251521.png

Bear-of-Grayling

Thank you! I didn't realize Wiebauch had that model. I'll order one ASAP. It's (barely) within my price range and I'm tired of fooling with manufactured goods from China (or Turkey).

Since it's velocity is less than the HW90, I'm hoping the cocking effort will be less.

In general, have you found under lever air rifles more accurate than break barrel? It would seem that the solid barrel-receiver construction would be more stable than the break barrel for a scoped break barrel. Then again, break barrels can be so accurate it's hard to imagine much better. At least there won't be barrel droop.

Scot

I have a benjamin Titan that I put a Charlie da tuna trigger on. It's a huge improvement. In fact it's one of the crispest triggers that I have and it breaks at 2 or 3lbs. Can't remember exactly. The trail is a similar gun with extras on it like the sound suppression stuff mainly. I think it's a good gun. I love crosman and thier customer service you made a good choice.