• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Has anyone gotten good accuracy with NSA 26.8g slugs in Impact .25 slug liner?

The .249" will shoot well but they need to be shot pretty fast. I think it has to do with getting the flat base to seal correctly. I've had great results with the 28.2gr. 29.0gr, 29.2gr. and 29.5gr. but shoot them faster than most will try... 940-980fps. is typically the best range.

Why don't you want to go heavier than 26.8gr if I may ask? 

Stoti

1591329250_11614853245ed9c1e28ab367.00184226.jpg

I've had good results with most of the .250 slugs too. When I was testing all the NSA slugs, I would shoot the .250 slugs and then size a bunch to both .249" and .2485" and test them back to back with the .250" version, surprisingly the accuracy didn't change a whole lot when shot at the same velocity, a little but not much It's pretty crazy stuff. I certainly don't have all the answers, I can only speak to the results of the testing I've done. The 32.8 and 34gr. Varmint Knockers I've been shooting are all .249" and they are crazy accurate. I also had some unbelievably great results with a .2485" Rat Sniper that's no longer made, There's definitely a lot more to it than just the diameter although everyone will tell you that's the main factor to a slug shooting well.

Stoti

Why don't you want to go heavier than 26.8gr if I may ask? 

Stoti

The reason for that is because the biggest game I can legally hunt here is jack rabbits so figure no need to over kill on the pellet, plus shot count and I don't have to really crank up the impact. with 33 grain I need to crank it to about 140 bar and hammer almost maxed out to get to 920 ish when I tried. At that setting I can get maybe a little more than 1 mag, still a lot for hunting but just trying to see if I can get away with lighter slugs. 

I've had good results with most of the .250 slugs too. When I was testing all the NSA slugs, I would shoot the .250 slugs and then size a bunch to both .249" and .2485" and test them back to back with the .250" version, surprisingly the accuracy didn't change a whole lot when shot at the same velocity, a little but not much It's pretty crazy stuff. I certainly don't have all the answers, I can only speak to the results of the testing I've done. The 32.8 and 34gr. Varmint Knockers I've been shooting are all .249" and they are crazy accurate. I also had some unbelievably great results with a .2485" Rat Sniper that's no longer made, There's definitely a lot more to it than just the diameter although everyone will tell you that's the main factor to a slug shooting well.

Stoti

Thanks! Sounds like speed is the key, I'll try this weekend to see if I can find a good tune for it.

I had them shooting like lasers with my Impact with power plenum and pellet probe mod by SPAW. Reg set at 100 bar, power wheel on minimum and valve adjustment knob on two lines showing. Even with it powered down the 26 grain Nielsen’s still travelled at about 920 FPS. I couldn’t miss!

Thanks, I'll give that a try first! 26 grain at 920 FPS is how my impact came from factory. If this shoots well I would get 100 shots per fill! that would be sick!!!

I shot the NSA33.5 moa at 100 yards @ 740fps so it's not all speed. They keyholed at about 150 yards though. Shot them all the way up past 960fps and they were moa there also

All below were shot at 740fps mostly three shot groups.

VK 34gr

NSA 36gr dimple nose in red and 33.5 HP in yellow right in yellow was a sighter.

I tried a five shot group upper left. Got the three in the middle before the wind started screwing around with me that's why you see mostly three shot groups here. I had to shoot in a hurry before the wind changed or the groups really opened up.

Nice! That's funny, remember I said how it's just crazy and there seems to be no rhyme or reason to things. I've had absolutely no luck with any dimple nose slugs and can't figure out why. The only one that I've had shoot great was the 31.3 Rat Sniper I mentioned above, that isn't made anymore. They were probably one of the best I've ever shot but it was when I first got my 600mm slug liner a long time ago. I tested them in my 700mm liner with the same great results and then ran out. Didn't even have to tune either gun, they just shot! They aren't made anymore, so it really doesn't matter! I think because it was very similar to the slug he's now making with FX, Similar, not the same! Wait a minute...Nick never made the 33.5gr in a dimple nose...just the 34gr I believe. Are you talking about the large hollow point or the small 2-S hollow point? Who knows. I attached a picture with some different shapes and hollow points. The 2-S is the one on the rebated boat tail slug and the others with a tiny hollow point. . 

I have never even shot a slug below 850fps which is the velocity I usually start my testing. I would rather find a slug that I can shoot fast because the whole reason I'm shooting slugs is for the high BC and retained energy. I never said velocity was everything, I said it's pretty important with the NSA .249" I think they need to be pushed fast to get the flat base to seal. I like they flat base and dish base the best, not much luck with the deep recessed base. They might shoot great if they were seated deeper but I think the deep recess keeps the bolt probe from loading them deep enough. Just a theory but it's because they should seal the best with the thin edged skirt and be super accurate and they are not! . 

After all the slugs I've tested, I settled on the VK 32.8 and 34gr. They both shoot very similarly and the 34gr has almost the exact same point of impact as the 33.95JSB at 50yds which is pretty handy. With that said, Nick at NSA has been very generous and super to work with, the same goes for Dale at Varmint Knocker. Both are super great guys! 

Although I've been testing slugs for a while, getting a little burnt out, and said I was quitting multiple times, I do have some interesting stuff that I'm going to be testing, starting this morning and hopefully continuing over the next three days. I'm hoping there will be some interesting results to share. I'm actually pretty excited to test them because they're new and haven't been tested thoroughly in the .25 Impact!

Nice chit chat, I love to see all slug results and try and learn what I can from everything. Thanks.

Have a great day! 

Stoti

1591367605_1211087535eda57b53a6766.41691350.jpg

stoti

I did not shoot at 740fps on purpose. I was tuning and went that low by accident. But at that low speed the JSB 33.95 pellets shot as well as the slugs with the same tune. Took me a couple of weeks to find out I was shooting that slow and then I had to tune all over again. It was after my tune at around 940fps that I began shooting at 200 yards most of the time. I shoot the 36.2 NSA HP slugs now as they do a bit better at 200 yards. 

The 36gr Dimple nose slugs were a little strange sometimes they shot lights out others they would have a flyer, that was an inch off the main group, every 4 to 5 shots so I don't use them any more.

The VK 34 slugs were probly my most accurate when sorted but the NSA were so close and were a bit more consistent weight wise so did not need sorted. They are far less expensive also so I shoot them and save my VK's for the pesting I have as yet never done.

Got out and tested the 26 grain slugs and the conclusion is.....inconclusive. It’s not as good as the JSB heavy right now but no where near as bad the H&N grizzly, I think it has potential with some more tuning. 

I got some tight groups at times and then they opened up. At 80 yards I got one group down to 1 inch then it opens up to 2-3 inches. I also shot a few groups of 33.4 grain JSB heavy as bassline and they were More consistent at around 1 inch or little tighter probably shooter limited. I noticed if I hold the gun tighter the group got smaller so I need harmonic tuning it seems. I shot between 940-960 but since I forgot to bring my Allen wrench set the best I can do is 960ish. Wind could be a factor since it was blowing on and off, fairly unpredictable but shouldn’t of push led some shots off by 2 inches. I really need a 100 yard range With no wind. 

At the current tune I got about 70 shots or 2 and half mag at 250bar which is quite good. 

That's funny Biohazard! I guess I have tested some slugs below 850 myself too. I never thought of having the gun set up wrong and powder puffing them out there. Yeah, I've done that too. Not with good results though!

Good luck with your testing qball. I'm sure you'll get it dialed in, just takes a little patients and time. The best advice I can give is to listen to all of the help and suggestions people give you and then use it for a starting point for your own testing. There is no substitute for testing everything yourself! Then you know what really works and what doesn't, regardless of all of the differing opinions, which are many! Lol. Random fliers are very common occurrence when shooting slugs and it gets frustrating! Try not to let it bother you. I've shot some phenomenal 9 shot groups only to have the 10th shot go off course inexplicably! It just pisses me off! Nine out of ten is good enough for me most of the time. Fortunately, the slugs I've been shooting lately don't do that as much. That may be part of the .249" diameter vs. .250" we talked about earlier. I really don't know. Seventy shots on a fill is great though! 

Windless days on the 100+ yard range are the key to testing. Unfortunately for me, they're far and few between. I was testing some new slugs this morning and had to leave because the wind got so bad it blew me off the range, bad! I wouldn't be confident with any of those results anyway. I was there at 7;00am, shot for a couple hours before I had the velocity drop/weirdness and then the wind forced me to leave by 11;30. It was 25-30-35+ MPH. Crazy! 

These new slugs I am testing can be made in the lighter weights you're wanting to shoot and can be made with a FB, DB or HB. I'm hoping to get some more testing in tomorrow and then want to consult with the owner of the company before sharing the results in an open forum. No big secret, I just want to talk with him first. The point is, they look very, very promising so far and the weight and shape can be tailored to your specific needs. I'll let you know what I find out as far as accuracy and velocity goes. Have a good evening! 

Stoti

Slugs need to be sized correctly to the barrel. I have yet to try either .2495's or .250's, but the mp's I shot awhile go did best at .249~ for me...so maybe those 26.8's and 29's might work from a gm barrel...but I won't know anytime soon as I am in no rush to order/test. I couldn't even chamber a .250" mp slug into my gm barrel, even with slightly hammering the bolt just to see...hah

additionally, the dish base version of the 29's would work better in terms of creating a seal at lower velocities/pressures (imo) as there should be some more give at the edge of that dish. At high enough velocities and pressures, I am sure the flat base does a bit better.

After thinking back a bit I remembered the wind was a bit of an issue because it was not constant by any means. Most of my shots are fairly close elevation wise so it's possible the slugs were shooting well but the wind got hold of them since they are pretty light for slugs. Could be luck but the JSB kings seems to be tighter left and right but the elevation deviation was fairly similar. Is it possible the heavies are performing better in the wind than a slug simply because it's heavier? To be fair the BC of JSB heavy is .036 and the NSA slug is .088, significant improvement and in theory should be much better at resisting wind. I'm really start to think FX slug liner's twist rate is just a tad too slow.

The more I think about it the more I think 50-60 yards is probably will be my hunting range and heavies are the way to go. It sure is fun to play around with slugs but it's proving painful to find somewhere to shoot pass 80 yards.