Air Arms Has anyone ever tried this with a ProSport?

Yes, you can get them at 11- 11.4 ish ftlbs stock in the UK standard trim ....Or Air Arms will do specials to order through a registered firearm dealer (RFD) on FAC usually for professional vermin shooters...
You boys will probably get the 12 plus in the main.

Agreeing with the above poster that a TBT probably not so bad in an FAC version but not so a sub 12 version...
Too slowing for a such a massy rifle which already does a decent job of damping in its own right at sub 12...
If you want a slower FAC that is more damped then fine with the TBT....nice stock on that gun fella..

Last edited:
Yes, you can get them at 11- 11.4 ish ftlbs stock in the UK standard trim ....Or Air Arms will do specials to order through a registered firearm dealer (RFD) on FAC usually for professional vermin shooters...
You boys will probably get the 12 plus in the main.

Agreeing with the above poster that a TBT probably not so bad in an FAC version but not so a sub 12 version...
Too slowing for a such a massy rifle which already does a decent job of damping in its own right at sub 12...
If you want a slower FAC that is more damped then fine with the TBT....nice stock on that gun fella..
How do you gentlemen in the UK feel about your sub 12 ft/lb ProSports? I've been regretting that I didn't buy ours directly from a UK dealer in a sub 12 ft/lb so I'd get a gun like what those of you in the UK get. But then I started wondering if your sub 12 ft/lb UK versions aren't all that they could be, either, or there wouldn't be so many of you there putting kits in your guns there.

So, if you would, please, what's your take on the made for UK sub 12 ft/lb guns?

Reactions: Steveoo
How do you gentlemen in the UK feel about your sub 12 ft/lb ProSports? I've been regretting that I didn't buy ours directly from a UK dealer in a sub 12 ft/lb so I'd get a gun like what those of you in the UK get. But then I started wondering if your sub 12 ft/lb UK versions aren't all that they could be, either, or there wouldn't be so many of you there putting kits in your guns there.

So, if you would, please, what's your take on the made for UK sub 12 ft/lb guns?
They are definitely nicer to shoot at just sub 12, in what probably is an ideal 11-13ftlb gun max.
It is not the happy powerhouse that the HW80 is.
However, the kits you mention, that proved a real trend and goto for many Brit shooters has not gone quite what you expect in this model, proving difficult to keep the power up once the weight of the Top hat chucked out.
Quite a few putting the steel Top hats back in to kill secondary bounce recoil and enjoying more speed. Nicer cycles versus flatter trajectory and less flight times but the latter winning out.
It's not all about damped cycles ... Experimentation with pellets and decent lubes difficult to beat with the already good OEM

Last edited:
They are definitely nicer to shoot at just sub 12, in what probably is an ideal 11-13ftlb gun max.
It is not the happy powerhouse that the HW80 is.
However, the kits you mention, that proved a real trend and goto for many Brit shooters has not gone quite what you expect in this model, proving difficult to keep the power up once the weight of the Top hat chucked out.
Quite a few putting the steel Top hats back in to kill secondary bounce recoil and enjoying more speed. Nicer cycles versus flatter trajectory and less flight times but the latter winning out.
It's not all about damped cycles ... Experimentation with pellets and decent lubes difficult to beat with the already good OEM
Many thanks!

I'm tending to lean towards just getting a lighter spring -- either a Macarri or Air Arms spring -- rather than a full kit, if I do anything. I haven't shot this gun enough to determine whether I really need or want to do anything with it. I don't think I've put even 200 pellets through it yet. I use it exclusively for pest control, and I think it does a better job at 15.5 ft/lbs than the 12 ft/lb gun I was using. Plus, I could really use the extra range that the higher velocity should give me.

12 ft/lb is more comfortable to shoot -- but if I can adjust to this gun as it is, that may be better. Time will tell.

Though if I could find something inexpensive in the hardware store to keep the spring centered instead of that front guide, I wouldn't mind experimenting with that.

Reactions: maxtrouble
My HW95 is putting out about 16 fpe and is much lighter than my TX but doesn’t seem nearly as hold sensitive as my TX used to be. I’m sure it would be a hit more accurate at 12 fpe, but I don’t feel like accuracy is much of an issue as it is now. It’s nearly as accurate as my TX.
I have my TX200 at 12 fpe with a Vortek kit. Was also horrible at 16 fpe. I think that the Air Arms rifles are designed for 12 fpe. Someone thought it would be a good idea to up the power for the US market with a stronger spring and threw a monkey wrench into their rifles.

Reactions: dormitionskete
I have my TX200 at 12 fpe with a Vortek kit. Was also horrible at 16 fpe. I think that the Air Arms rifles are designed for 12 fpe. Someone thought it would be a good idea to up the power for the US market with a stronger spring and threw a monkey wrench into their rifles.
Low volume high pressure is what all 25 mm tubes generate.. They can generate power at a tooth rattling shot cycle. Compared to what it can be and was designed for..Sorry Tx / PS shooters .. US MARKET changed the guns demand so much they made mark 2/3 with longer stroke to appease the power hungry USA cowboys.
Amazingly the PS/ TX now has a 98 mm stroke , damn ne’er the same as a GAMO/ crossman guns of manny..

It’s a great 12 ft lb gun when done right . True long stem rod and 355 spring clipped.

Has anyone ever tried simply removing the Front Guide from a ProSport, and reassembling it with the stock FAC spring without it, to bring the power level down?

If so, did it cause any problems?

How much did it bring it down to?

I'm wondering if this is a cheap and easy way to bring our .177 cal. PS down to around 12 ft/lb.

View attachment 439483

View attachment 439484
I do believe that's my wrench in that photo..lol.

Yes, it is. I hope you don't mind me using your photo. In fact, I didn't even know that part was there on ours. Ours didn't come out, and I wasn't as thorough as you were. 👍
Yeah probably stuck in there with all that grease.
I replaced mine with one made from delrin. I'm shooting full power, and I like it.

Yeah probably stuck in there with all that grease.
I replaced mine with one made from delrin. I'm shooting full power, and I like it.
You mean somebody else out there shoots theirs full power? 🤭

I haven't found ours to be particularly hold sensitive, but it does want to be held firmly. No artillery hold with it. I like to say it's a girl. She likes to be held. LOL

You mean somebody else out there shoots theirs full power? 🤭

I haven't found ours to be particularly hold sensitive, but it does want to be held firmly. No artillery hold with it. I like to say it's a girl. She likes to be held. LOL
I haven't named mine yet.
At 40 yards shooting off of sticks I can hit 1/4" dots, so full power isn't hurting mine any..lol.

I haven't named mine yet.
At 40 yards shooting off of sticks I can hit 1/4" dots, so full power isn't hurting mine any..lol.
Yeah, you have a nice looking one. I'm refinishing our stock right now.

I think we have a similar mindset. You practice shooting off sticks since that's how you plan to shoot it. I shoot ours with our "Mother of All Shooting Sticks", since that's mostly how I shoot ours. It looks like it'd be horrible, but it works great. I don't know if it'd be allowed in FTT, though. ??

IMG_0456.JPG

The set up of the Prosport sits midway between the argument.
You don't want a plastic kitted tune dropping the gun down to 10.6 and getting slight rebound recoil on slightly heavier pellets and a more loopy trajectory to that 45 yd rabbit..
Similar running 16 it's not the best due to the export spring power overwhelming the compression ratio..
It's a cracking 12 ftlb maybe 13ftlb gun running a steel Top hat and paying attention to your lube, pellet type..and frankly getting on and shooting the darn thing instead of worrying so much....
Once mastered you will enjoy the flatter trajectory and less pellet time in the gun..and have long lasting internals instead of temp sensitive plastic bits...
You got enough mass in the gun to damp it pretty well...and frankly I've seen very little diff on the target between the 10.6 and 12 except a faster flatter flight ..why bother ..go shoot it...

Last edited:
The set up of the Prosport sits midway between the argument.
You don't want a plastic kitted tune dropping the gun down to 10.6 and getting slight rebound recoil on slightly heavier pellets and a more loopy trajectory to that 45 yd rabbit..
Similar running 16 it's not the best due to the export spring power overwhelming the compression ratio..
It's a cracking 12 ftlb maybe 13ftlb gun running a steel Top hat and paying attention to your lube, pellet type..and frankly getting on and shooting the darn thing instead of worrying so much....
Once mastered you will enjoy the flatter trajectory and less pellet time in the gun..and have long lasting internals instead of temp sensitive plastic bits...
You got enough mass in the gun to damp it pretty well...and frankly I've seen very little diff on the target between the 10.6 and 12 except a faster flatter flight ..why bother ..go shoot it...
Yeah, I see what you mean. Just get on with it.

It'll be nice when spring starts approaching, and I can get outside and actually shoot this more, and get to know it better. I don't think we had it three weeks before it turned cold and snowy, and all the critters went underground. And I don't do cold, if I can help it. Freezing my tail off is not my idea of fun.

Thanks.

At the time, the US demanded a higher powered version as we were power crazy. AA was not fond ofvthe idea but wanted the bigger sales. I was an AA dealer at that time. My TX rubs at 15 fp and smooth as silk, you cand stand pellets on the cap and shoot all day without them comming off. Get your weights adjusted and shims adjusted to get the timming spot on. The reason your shot cycle is rough is because your shot cycle is off and your getting either a piston slamming home from to much weight, or the piston is bouncing at the end of the stroke due to to little weight. Get it timmed correctly and it will be smooth evan at 905 fps like mine !!

At the time, the US demanded a higher powered version as we were power crazy. AA was not fond ofvthe idea but wanted the bigger sales. I was an AA dealer at that time. My TX rubs at 15 fp and smooth as silk, you cand stand pellets on the cap and shoot all day without them comming off. Get your weights adjusted and shims adjusted to get the timming spot on. The reason your shot cycle is rough is because your shot cycle is off and your getting either a piston slamming home from to much weight, or the piston is bouncing at the end of the stroke due to to little weight. Get it timmed correctly and it will be smooth evan at 905 fps like mine !!
When did all this happen, roughly? And does this mean that there are versions of the ProSport & TX200 from before the change and after the change, like there are Weihrauch HW97K's with 25mm and 26mm compression tubes (I think they are)?

When did all this happen, roughly? And does this mean that there are versions of the ProSport & TX200 from before the change and after the change, like there are Weihrauch HW97K's with 25mm and 26mm compression tubes (I think they are)?
The original TX200 MK 1 were all 12 ft lb, then when rhe MK2 came out there were long stroke comp tubes and pistons availiable for the FAC versions. I actually had the first true factory left handed MK1 that came to the US. When the MK 3 came about it was onky imported in the FAC version to the vest of my knowledge. Never played with the prosport model.

I concur. It's not all about fitting plastics and thinking your new damped gun is doing the business because it feels and sounds deader.
In practise, out on target at 40 yds you will find its no different on target but you just lost 1 inch of drop due to slowing the gun down. Equally with very light pellets that Steel Top hat is going to hit home a bit harder at the base of the chamber than it should.

I suspect AA set it up with some mid weight 8.4s to 10s maybe a mid point of .177 and .22 but then get critisised when someone comes along with his 7 grains...and goes off and fits a plastic kit...
Don't forget your plastic kit much more temp sensitive to ambient temp diff too.

The original TX200 MK 1 were all 12 ft lb, then when rhe MK2 came out there were long stroke comp tubes and pistons availiable for the FAC versions. I actually had the first true factory left handed MK1 that came to the US. When the MK 3 came about it was onky imported in the FAC version to the vest of my knowledge. Never played with the prosport model.
I concur. It's not all about fitting plastics and thinking your new damped gun is doing the business because it feels and sounds deader.
In practise, out on target at 40 yds you will find its no different on target but you just lost 1 inch of drop due to slowing the gun down. Equally with very light pellets that Steel Top hat is going to hit home a bit harder at the base of the chamber than it should.

I suspect AA set it up with some mid weight 8.4s to 10s maybe a mid point of .177 and .22 but then get critisised when someone comes along with his 7 grains...and goes off and fits a plastic kit...
Don't forget your plastic kit much more temp sensitive to ambient temp diff too.
So how do you diagnose what a particular gun needs?