Air Arms Has anyone ever tried this with a ProSport?

Has anyone ever tried simply removing the Front Guide from a ProSport, and reassembling it with the stock FAC spring without it, to bring the power level down?

If so, did it cause any problems?

How much did it bring it down to?

I'm wondering if this is a cheap and easy way to bring our .177 cal. PS down to around 12 ft/lb.

ProSport-FrontGuide2.png

ProSport-FrontGuide1.png

Last edited:
It'll work but you'll want to replace it with a smaller top hat to keep the spring centered in the piston and you may still need to collapse/remove a coil or so to get it under 12fpe. You can either make a top hat yourself or send me a message and I'll make one for you. The best (and easiest?) cheap way to make a 12ftlb gun is to install one of those TbT short stroke piston seals.

It'll work but you'll want to replace it with a smaller top hat to keep the spring centered in the piston and you may still need to collapse/remove a coil or so to get it under 12fpe. You can either make a top hat yourself or send me a message and I'll make one for you. The best (and easiest?) cheap way to make a 12ftlb gun is to install one of those TbT short stroke piston seals.
As Swirl57 said it will work but also change the shot cycle

you will need a 355 spring shortened and a delrin top hat. Tony Leach is the man for those guns at 12 ft lbs. He has a site on Fakebook. ”Lost Volume“. In the Uk 12 ft lbs is all they can have so you know they make them smooth at that power

Yes but ensure you use some sort of centring Top hat in steel or you will get an inconsistency from the mainspring flailing over and rubbing on one side ...inside the piston.

Your could do a lot worse than go with the stock mechanics, incl the steel Top hat but adding a thruster ring to get it into 12 to 13 ftlbs territory without undue forces of an FAC spring.
Forget the TBT kit which just turns it into a damped gun of 10.5ftlbs...
These TBT kits do damp springs sure enough, but forget about the advantages of faster flight time, extended flatter trajectory of faster guns.....they simple fool one into believing the gun is better because it's more damped.
Also Pro sports prefer a bit of follow through weight in the piston esp with heavier pellets....another thing the TBT kits forget about..
These cheap kits offer cheap one material fits all damping, but more to it than that...and they can break on you too..

Reactions: dormitionskete
Nothing wrong with the delrin guide kits from TbT.

Short stroke kits of any make are debatable and cause other issues though.

Short stroked piston seals will not cause other issues. The short stroke latch rods may require some fiddling. The factory stroke of the TX200 is terrible if you're trying to run 12ftlbs

Last edited:
The issue with the TBT kit is while it does what it says on the TIn, in damping the cycle, it always reduces power of the stock gun when removing the piston weight...but you guys in the US can afford to be going in the other direction, making better use of the stroke. So it makes no sense.
Even in the UK a good number of shooters have been swapping their Steel Top hats back in for the benefit of killing piston bounce with mid weight pellet choices...The manufacturer having got it right first time...The factory lubes having caused the inconsistency that some had.
A better idea would have been cleaning/re-lubing and pellet experimentation instead of running straight out for a plastic kit...

I don't shoot the Prosport specially but a good friend of mine uses his extensively in HFT springer.
His TBT kit had damped his cycle removing any hint of buzz and for a while he enjoyed the seemingly less twangy manners, but had lost a full ftlb and was getting slight piston rebound on 8.4s.
Going back to the steel Top hat, picked up extra vel giving him an extra 8 yds of flat traj and despite feeling marginally less dead, his scores had marginally improved running completely stock except for better lubes and seal.
Also there has never been enough study done on the pellet getting out the gun quicker and less impact of wind on faster flying pellets because damped cycles sort of bypassed it.....Don't jump so quick is all I'm saying...

Reducing stroke is an altogether different proposition but not one I would consider if you have more than 12 ftlbs to play with...but yeah, if u want to run a stone dead and dead fast 10.5 go ahead...

Last edited:
Yes but ensure you use some sort of centring Top hat in steel or you will get an inconsistency from the mainspring flailing over and rubbing on one side ...inside the piston.

Your could do a lot worse than go with the stock mechanics, incl the steel Top hat but adding a thruster ring to get it into 12 to 13 ftlbs territory without undue forces of an FAC spring.
Forget the TBT kit which just turns it into a damped gun of 10.5ftlbs...
These TBT kits do damp springs sure enough, but forget about the advantages of faster flight time, extended flatter trajectory of faster guns.....they simple fool one into believing the gun is better because it's more damped.
Also Pro sports prefer a bit of follow through weight in the piston esp with heavier pellets....another thing the TBT kits forget about..
These cheap kits offer cheap one material fits all damping, but more to it than that...and they can break on you too..
Does the Prosport in the UK stores come as sub 12 FPE ? Or is it a FAC rifle ?

Does the Prosport in the UK stores come as sub 12 FPE ? Or is it a FAC rifle ?
You can get them either way, and left handed, which I think you've asked about before.

I regret not buying ours from here in the first place.

Reactions: dgeesaman
never heard of a UK store that will ship an Air Rifle to USA , Krale in netherlands does
I was a little quick and didn't hit reply to your post to make sure you'd see it.

That place does. Even firearms.

Reactions: beerthief
I have the TbT kit in my Pro Sport. Totally changed the characteristics of the rifle. Going from a rude 16 fpe to a mild mannered 11.5 fpe was worth the kit. PA only sells Pro Sports in FAC configuration so the TbT kit seemed the best option for the rifle. The cock and shot cycle is much better and way less violent now and accuracy improved. YMMV

IMG_1846.jpeg