FX Has anyone been able to get their FX to shoot slugs MOA at 100 yards?

How is your accuracy at 50 yards? If you are getting good accuracy at 50 yards but not great at 100 then you need to learn to read the wind. If you are not getting good accuracy at 50 yards then you most likely need to fine tune your gun for the slugs you are shooting.
50 yards is easy to get MOA (I go to the Rancho Cordova indoor 50 yard range), but yes I don’t usually hold for wind at 100 yards. The point of slugs imo is to use their superior B.C. to cut thé drag down from the wind. That’s why if it’s a light breeze, I don’t usually hold for any wind in expectation that the slug will cut the wind.

I will 100% hold for wind if there is a breeze I feel may shove the slug

Last edited:
Reactions: qball
FX Crown mk1 continuum, 700mm slug A liner, .22, Griffin 36gr .218 boat tail slugs. @65fpe @150bar with 7gr added hammer weight and substantial port work to the barrel. Would do 1/2 moa no problem. But make no mistake, it took TONS of testing and tuning. I since converted that barrel to a 500mm superior with carbon reinforced liner, and it is VASTLY less tune and ammo sensative. I never tested the 500mm at 100, so no clue what it will do. I almost never shoot that far. And even more, I almost never use slugs, or even the 500mm barrel. Favoring pellets @33fpe from 380mm pellet A barrel.

Gun preferred no moderator combo I could come up including very short ones. Favoring no moderator at all. Probably 5yrs back now.
received_1045358325855266.jpeg

Gun is almost permanently in this config now.

DSCF6077_edited.jpg

Never photographed groups because they were just absurd. And frankly unbelievable. I rarely shoot groups anyhow, and I have possibly never posted any here at all. But here is a shotgun primer I punched out @100. 🤷‍♂️

1571804958_10089440445dafd71e93cb37.72796290_DSC_0612.jpeg
Also my rickety shooting setup that day. Was using the bag heavily, and pressing the gun down to keep it stable for accurate shots.
1567988364_12445799445d759a8ceb4671.41555943_DSC_0090.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: tibor and Maizen
You don’t need no stinking expensive slugs to have MOA accuracy at 100 yards…….you only need some wind reading skills. Just think how awesome it would be to shoot better groups than slugs with cheap pellets?

I managed a MOA group with 22 cal CPHP which is 1 cent a piece but then I messed up on the wind call on the last shot. Not a single shot from this group had wind hold less than 3 mils or 10 MOA/inches, it was 5-10mph swirling wind that day.
View attachment 441768
Very nicely done. Only thing is that those crosmans will not have the kind of energy at 100 yards that I’d like to put down game with. At 100 yards, it’s probably got enough umph to put a starling down, but you’d have to hit it exactly right. This is also why I like slugs; better energy retention at greater distances.

There are so many things that go unseen that can get a guy all screwed up. I’ll lay one on you guys that I’ve been dealing with for the last two days. It’s educational and might help guys understand what we’re up against if you are after the utmost accuracy. I built a barrel for another one of my M3’s. Have a topic about it. Gun wound up becoming most guys dream gun. I decided I just couldn’t leave well enough alone and put an L-tech on it. I have them on my other slug M3’s and like some of the features. I knew there was going to be new tuning parameters but I already installed two so I felt confident.

After a good bit of testing and adjusting, I found magic. Only shot out two 114 yards but was quite thrilled. The gun was as good or better than it was pre L-tech. Later that night I decided to shoot some more and that’s when the train went off the tracks. Velocities jumping all over and groups sucked. I tore the gun down four times playing with seating depth because the jumpy velocity is a symptom. About an hour ago I was at the point of deciding just to start smacking the back of the slugs with stupid high reg pressure to see if something would change. I turned the reg up and the hammer spring, then started loading a mag. I noticed something I couldn’t believe. Zan has two different 30gr slugs. The original that my gun shoots 943fps and all groups are under 1.5” at 100 are 7.54mm long. These other Zan slugs are 8.11mm long. Their speed is all over the place because they are too long for my leade. And they shoot like sh#t.

So because Zan changed a little something that they might consider better, my pride and joy now shoots like a turd. If this is their new slug, I have to recut my leade. Moral of this story? Mufasa, sometimes you can do everything right. But outside forces are working against you. I was chasing one thing that I perceived as the problem, the new L-tech, but it was another problem that just should not happen. Here’s a pic of what I saw when I realized there was a problem.

IMG_5776.jpeg

Ok, it just got even more interesting. Opened one of the latest packs of Zans that I received. Now we have new packaging and a third length. These are 7.94mm long. So my question to all the stellar slug shooters out there is, how serious or knowledgeable is a company like Zan if they think they can do this and customers can enjoy exceptionally consistent accuracy. I promise you that you can’t when you are not feeding your gun the exact same thing every shot. All of these Zans were bought within the last month. Three different freakin lengths in the same weight. And guys wonder why MOA is elusive.

IMG_5777.jpeg

Ok, it just got even more interesting. Opened one of the latest packs of Zans that I received. Now we have new packaging and a third length. These are 7.94mm long. So my question to all the stellar slug shooters out there is, how serious or knowledgeable is a company like Zan if they think they can do this and customers can enjoy exceptionally consistent accuracy. I promise you that you can’t when you are not feeding your gun the exact same thing every shot. All of these Zans were bought within the last month. Three different freakin lengths in the same weight. And guys wonder why MOA is elusive.

View attachment 441793

This is why I stick with NSA and Altaros. If NSA makes improvements they usually sell them as a new items.

Very nicely done. Only thing is that those crosmans will not have the kind of energy at 100 yards that I’d like to put down game with. At 100 yards, it’s probably got enough umph to put a starling down, but you’d have to hit it exactly right. This is also why I like slugs; better energy retention at greater distances.

Yes, the point is learn your ballistic of your ammo and read the wind then you will be able to get under MOA at 100 yards and beyond. Slugs do have twice the BC it they still will move in the wind, just half as much as pellets or a little less. BUT it is NOT zero.

View attachment 441793
Yes I will be honest, I gave ZANs a try and I couldn’t get them to do well. They were also bone dry with barely any lube. NSAs on the other hand…they have been the most consistent for the money. I can do MOA at 50 yards (sometimes less than 1/2 inch) with NSAs easy; but I 100% understand what you’re saying. World keeps changing, and we have to adjust. So far though, I haven’t seen much changes with NSAs; if there was a change, it wasn’t to the slug itself (i.e. better lube application, less lead shavings/dirt, better packaging, etc.). I do applaud those who shoot ZANs well though…I just couldn’t do it myself.

Last edited:

View attachment 441793
That is crazy !!!

Reactions: Vetmx
My primary use for an airgun is hunting. I build guns for that purpose only. I don’t enjoy killing paper but with airguns and slugs, I’m a paper serial killer. I was shooting NSA’s back when he was experimenting with lubes and recipes because of his process. I got away from his slugs for two reasons. They didn’t expand like my other brand and at the time he didn’t make the diameter I needed for the barrels I was using. I only recently added Zans to the other two brands I use. Mainly because of expansion on critters. If I was paper punching, I would revisit NSA and hoped he made the diameter I need or bigger so I can size them to what I need. They are a clean shooting slug. But I always, no matter what the manufacturer claims, clean my slugs and use my choice lube depending on the barrel. It’s all about consistency and I don’t trust them.

Oh, the latest batch of Zans that are 7.94mm long still allow me enough jump to have a very nice ES. Only shot out to 75 yards tonight but they show hope. Missed one mouse but got one at 68 yards a couple minutes ago. I could keep all the original Zans that were 7.54mm long in the bottom of a soda can at 150 yards. Curious to see if these can do it. I will test at that distance when there is zero wind. There has to be zero or you will never know just what your gun is capable of.

Reactions: Maizen
There are so many things that go unseen that can get a guy all screwed up. I’ll lay one on you guys that I’ve been dealing with for the last two days. It’s educational and might help guys understand what we’re up against if you are after the utmost accuracy. I built a barrel for another one of my M3’s. Have a topic about it. Gun wound up becoming most guys dream gun. I decided I just couldn’t leave well enough alone and put an L-tech on it. I have them on my other slug M3’s and like some of the features. I knew there was going to be new tuning parameters but I already installed two so I felt confident.

After a good bit of testing and adjusting, I found magic. Only shot out two 114 yards but was quite thrilled. The gun was as good or better than it was pre L-tech. Later that night I decided to shoot some more and that’s when the train went off the tracks. Velocities jumping all over and groups sucked. I tore the gun down four times playing with seating depth because the jumpy velocity is a symptom. About an hour ago I was at the point of deciding just to start smacking the back of the slugs with stupid high reg pressure to see if something would change. I turned the reg up and the hammer spring, then started loading a mag. I noticed something I couldn’t believe. Zan has two different 30gr slugs. The original that my gun shoots 943fps and all groups are under 1.5” at 100 are 7.54mm long. These other Zan slugs are 8.11mm long. Their speed is all over the place because they are too long for my leade. And they shoot like sh#t.

So because Zan changed a little something that they might consider better, my pride and joy now shoots like a turd. If this is their new slug, I have to recut my leade. Moral of this story? Mufasa, sometimes you can do everything right. But outside forces are working against you. I was chasing one thing that I perceived as the problem, the new L-tech, but it was another problem that just should not happen. Here’s a pic of what I saw when I realized there was a problem.

View attachment 441789

Oh joy, aye?!
What a frustration that must have been!

Oh joy, aye?!
What a frustration that must have been!
Sadly Steve, I’m almost getting used to it. The airgun industry is just a little sloppy with their tolerances and it causes issues for guys like me. With pellets, they can get away with it and have for years. With slugs I have shot so much unnecessary lead because something was a couple thousandths off. I wish I could be a “that’s good enough“ guy. I think the industry has us almost there if you put in some work or buy certain platforms and use what other guys discovered works best. Then just accept what the gun is capable of and make the most of it. There are better slug gun platforms than others but if their ergonomics don’t appeal to your use, then you have more work cut out for you. I could buy a Panthera and have a better starting slug platform, but I’m not interested in running around in the woods with a harpoon gun. It’s a hobby within a hobby and I try to not get too mad at things like this. I kinda expect them now.

check out my report, I just finished tuning my 30 cal Crown with slugs with some good results

Reactions: Bert928GT
This is what i did on the last training before the 100m/110yard match from last sunday with the panthera. My Panthera is really accurate. I won the match. It is easy moa and better.
Grtz .Bert

Very nice shooting there! Here is my cherry picked group because think this was my best 100 yard group.
1709515570580.jpeg

In case anyone ask, it was NOT dead calm! had to hold between 1-2 mils of windage and every shot was a different hold. Definitely difficult but absolutely satisfying! That should qualify as sub half MOA.