• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Harmonic tuning using barrel weights

1576888851_2949938085dfd6a138b7cf9.24406607_EB654D4B-B9FF-445A-A213-50F382A816D8.jpeg

I use these brass weights that I slide around. They are inside the shroud. Works like a charm! 

A .22LR has 17,000psi peak chamber pressure. More than a .45acp. This should put into perspective what it takes to send smaller projectiles at even near supersonic speeds. Now .22LR competition shooters & AG’s also know to keep them well below 1100fps

Before I waste my time & yours, do you have a lathe? Any limits on what you wish to spend?
Are you seeing inaccuracies? I’m just wondering if harmonics are even an issue at unknown power, barrel, projectile weight & speed.

You could change harmonics by fitting a carbon fiber sleeve over your barrel, or adding a thimble to breech to test in rotating it while keeping flow through transfer port.

Hi James, thanks for responding.

I do not have a lathe and I'm retired (read poor). I've recently managed to scrape together enough to buy a Dreamline and mount a reasonably decent scope (Optisan Taipan) on it. But I'm not seeing the performance I know the gun is capable of. Part of it is undoubtedly me, but I think I need to find a harmonic tune for the gun too.

As I understand it, Harmonic tuning is adjusting the speed of the pellet/slug to leave the barrel on a resonance node (of the barrel). Bob O described his process on his Impact as doing a velocity tune and then fine tuning the muzzle velocity using the valve stop adjustment until you find the point at which the projectile leaves the barrel at a resonance node. Well and good, except my Dreamline does not have a valve stop adjuster. So I'm looking into changing the resonance of the barrel, with barrel weights, to adjust the resonance node to the time the projectile leaves the barrel. What I was hoping for was to find out where I can buy barrel weights, or do I have to have them made?

@jmoss80917 if all else fails the local hardware store usually has a section in it with brass bushings and the like. You can probably get one real close to the size you need. Then, with a hack saw, file, and power hand drill, you can make the weights you want fairly quickly by drilling the inside of the bushing to the barrel diameter so it is a fairly tight friction fit, cutting them to the length you desire, filing down the outside diameter, and even make an o-ring groove if necessary. Also, order a small bottle of Vibra-TITE 213 VC-3 Threadmate to position the weights here you want them to stay once you've completed harmonics tuning testing.

Hi James, thanks for responding.

I do not have a lathe and I'm retired (read poor). I've recently managed to scrape together enough to buy a Dreamline and mount a reasonably decent scope (Optisan Taipan) on it. But I'm not seeing the performance I know the gun is capable of. Part of it is undoubtedly me, but I think I need to find a harmonic tune for the gun too.

As I understand it, Harmonic tuning is adjusting the speed of the pellet/slug to leave the barrel on a resonance node (of the barrel). Bob O described his process on his Impact as doing a velocity tune and then fine tuning the muzzle velocity using the valve stop adjustment until you find the point at which the projectile leaves the barrel at a resonance node. Well and good, except my Dreamline does not have a valve stop adjuster. So I'm looking into changing the resonance of the barrel, with barrel weights, to adjust the resonance node to the time the projectile leaves the barrel. What I was hoping for was to find out where I can buy barrel weights, or do I have to have them made?

Before adding barrel weights I would experiment with pellet speed, each gun has its sweet spot, a few fps can make a big difference.

Bb