Tuning Harmonic barrel aftermarket.

Funny that FX showed new insights by “inventing” the Harmonic Barrel on the M3 with a weight that can be adjusted by fractions of an inch where as they also sell a chronometer to be attached on to the barrel end with elastic bands without any concern about harmonics. I do see a very big improvement in the harmonic tuning of airguns with this new feature though. It remains to be checked in tests amongst us users but the idea and principe appeals to me. I sincerely hope that for other FXmodels and brands aftermarket shrouds with this feature will come to the market. I challenge barrel and moderator producers to pick the idea up and start developing with this principe. Just dial in your reg + hammerspring for desired speed with a specific pellet or slug and fine tune your grouping with the ( micro) shiftable weight...... A lot of frustration will turn into a very satisfying tuning process I think. Your thoughts ?

Ludwick,

Harmonic tuners on powderburner benchrest has been a thing for a few years, thats where they got it from.

I've machined a small piece of plastic to slide along my barrels to do exactly the same thing. There is a company called Doinker that makes rubber tuning devices for barrels as well.

Tom Holland 

Field Target Tech 

Fieldtargettech.com 

Thanks for your reply Tom. I know that this barrel tuning with weight is an old thing but it was/is always highly debatable as otherwise all rifles would have this feature for sure. By implementing the principle on such a large scale a lot of real input re how and if it works can be collected and that is a good thing. These rubber and plastic devices on the market are not as user friendly as this FX system I gues and therfore I said they “ invented” this.

let’s see where it brings the airgunworld but I believe it will be an eye opener for many shooters

cheers

LADWICT ( not Ludwick 😉)

I have two older stabilizer sets for my target compound bows, one Doinker and one Beiter. Both have sliders and you place/position it "somewhere there" to start with. You start shooting and every 20-30 shots you move the slider in small increments - in one direction, either inward or outward, until you start seeing a difference in POI. So this way you got to a ballpark and from here you tune for tents. In archery we don't have a luxury to clamp or rest a bow you shot freehand. I was competing at 90 meters with a bow and arrow for over 15 years.

Learning Tuning for harmonics ...no matter what high science tools you got...you dont expect to finish a first day. You also don't need to buy you can make/invent your own tools for tuning and believe or not those will make you feel a best.

Tuners have been available for rimfire shooters for quite a while. Here's one example.

tuner.1619019001.jpg

Corrections. This new fx harmonic tuner is not for the m3. Its for all impact, crown, whatever fx guns that used the same diameter barrel the impact and crown uses. It have nothing to do with the m3 because its just a shroud built with a weight tuner at the end. It will work on most fx guns, not only the m3. Just putting this out so people won't think, oh I gotta get a m3 this use this harmonic tuner.

Corrections. This new fx harmonic tuner is not for the m3. Its for all impact, crown, whatever fx guns that used the same diameter barrel the impact and crown uses. It have nothing to do with the m3 because its just a shroud built with a weight tuner at the end. It will work on most fx guns, not only the m3. Just putting this out so people won't think, oh I gotta get a m3 this use this harmonic tuner.

thanks. Do you think it will fit on a Wildcat MK3 ?

No shortage of known data on the Whiscombe. Design such into the Impact and a person could have countless hours (reads Day's and day's) of "tuning" fun !

Naturally most on this thread will desire the latest greatest from FX (as in the entire rifle) but if already owning any old airgun and wanting to have some quality time with their airgun tinkering (and you/yours actually shoot well enough to tell) hit Google or such - and likely this forum's search- for ideas. Seems like JM used to sell some MB or another for this purpose? Cant recall the name original (made of metal) and later in plastic harmonic tuner Jim from precision airguns sold for a bit way back. Many of the beeman solid metal sleeve muzzle breaks which had mounting screws were used for this a great deal.

Had a 25" HW .22 barrel that wanted something, anything at all hung off the end. ANYTHING on the end from 12oz to 4 oz. and it was the proverbial "Golden Barrel" bare not impressive. Darn glad I slid a m/b on it I didn't "need" to use at all.

John

In order to work the best These tuners supposto be attached to the liner and not to a shroud?

The harmonic tuner will come in a new shroud that replaces your existing shroud.

I made a new airstripper for my shroud and replaced the blank (blank is a name for Canadian version) was there, but if I would re-do this exercise again I would skip the extra piece = the liner nut. Most likely that space is now reserved for the new HT.

But again, my best understanding is, that the liner oscillates and not the barrel and definitely not the shroud, these tree pieces all connected in a sandwich.

Anyway...

I am very curious if this HT piece will show up North of your border ;\

In order to work the best These tuners supposto be attached to the liner and not to a shroud?

The FX Integrated Harmonic Barrel Tuner is actually attached to the barrel via the threaded part on the backside of the shroud muzzle so the dampening and tuning properties of this accessory are in direct contact with the actual barrel kit. 

The harmonic tuner will come in a new shroud that replaces your existing shroud.

I made a new airstripper for my shroud and replaced the blank (blank is a name for Canadian version) was there, but if I would re-do this exercise again I would skip the extra piece = the liner nut. Most likely that space is now reserved for the new HT.

But again, my best understanding is, that the liner oscillates and not the barrel and definitely not the shroud, these tree pieces all connected in a sandwich.

Anyway...

I am very curious if this HT piece will show up North of your border ;\

We designed it in a way to work with the airstripper or non-airstripper version of the shroud. More info coming about this as there is much more to this than just the harmonic tuning weight.