Harmfull to keep springloaded magazines loaded?

The topic of springs taking a set or losing strength if left in a compressed state has been discussed for decades. The short answer is no - leaving your magazine fully loaded, or your springer or PCP airgun cocked, will not weaken the springs involved or cause them to take a set if they are properly made springs.

------------------------------------------------

What usually causes springs to fatigue / set / fail etc. is the repeated compression / release cycles or over compression, beyond the design specs. So, technically unloading your magazine each time shortens the useful life of the spring a small amount, more than leaving it loaded, but either way is fine. There are still those who believe (incorrectly) that leaving a spring compressed will cause it to take a set or lose compression. I don't see the "Yes, it will take a set." camp going away anytime in the next 100 years or so, but the laws of physics win every time on this topic.

Below is an example of just one thread among many, here on AGN about spring compression. Of the responses that were mainly yes it will cause problems, no it won't or unsure here is the approximate breakdown.

Yes - 4 responses
No - 8 responses
Maybe / Undecided - 2 responses

Reactions: maxtrouble
RStern, a member on GTA, described this subject and how to prepare springs for a consistent life without concern with them taking said sets. The spring is, as an example, placed between washers on a threaded bolt or rod, then compressed until coil-bind. That’s it. The spring has been conditioned to never loose its consistent springiness from then on.

Knowing and believing that I’m not sure why I never leave any spring compressed long? Magazines excluded because spring design.

I do know why I keep certain O-rings, on bolts, for example, uncompressed when stored. O-rings do take a set.