Happy Birthday Dad

Thanks for sharing Joe, I am a newbie here and look forward to being a part of the group. I live in my grandparents old manor house now that they are gone. Yesterday as I finished a tune up on my cheapy Nitro venom I wiped it down with 3n1 oil. That oil has the same effect on me as you explained. I spent most of my childhood here, with pap. My daisy Lever action was a favorite pass time. Its hard sometimes, but I find these new pellet rifles give me back something I was missing.

I like what you wrote. Me and my dad just finished shooting out back not 30 minutes ago from 0800 this morning. He is getting old now but your words describe him/could have been written for him. Growing up we shot a brick of .22lr every Saturday. The whole brick. That was rule. From age 7 thru to 18 years old.....we missed very very few Saturdays. We were always walking some creek shooting or at the deer lease shooting. He is too old to do much, cant even walk more than 40 yards without resting. But damn, he still loves to shoot. Good words

I'm gonna try my hand at cold bluing on my next rebuild . I have no idea how he did it , but Dad always hit that perfect mix of well worn blued look and uniform metal . He said it was in how you rubbed it after it was done rusting .
Well let's hope I got a little of that in me . My nephew has an old Stevens single shot 22 that if you took it apart you would find a clumsy one eyed teenagers thumbprint on it from about 40 years ago . I know Dad saw it as it turned colors , and knew it had to be me that handled it without gloves ....But he never said a word , he just looked at me and winked to let me know it was ok to make a mistake .
His Birthday is Monday . I think I'll make a drive to where he's resting and visit with him a while .