Huben Handpumping PCPs to 5.000 psi

This is more directed at the misinformation about the fact that above 200 BAR unless you super heavy you would not be able to depress the handle.

Well now I have some data so I can tell that it's misinformation indeed.

Whether you want to do it or not it's a personal decision, all I can say is that to bring back this pistol to 5000 psi was pretty fast and not that hard,....definitely a valuable option for those that want to

I'll agree with all your points and also give another data point that in my experience the pump seemed quite efficient in the top end, so while the effort required is quite high imo, 4000-5000 psi did seem to go by faster than say 2000-3000 psi.

-Matt

Reactions: Trucker3573
I'll agree with all your points and also give another data point that in my experience the pump seemed quite efficient in the top end, so while the effort required is quite high imo, 4000-5000 psi did seem to go by faster than say 2000-3000 psi.

-Matt
Correct, the difference is really big,...... at lower pressures the needle never moves :ROFLMAO: but when you get to the higher pressures every stroke is actually a significant leap.

can notice the same filling a gun from empty, the ratio difference even at 200 BAR is very noticeable

Reactions: Stubbers
I don't know but that was one thing that really stressed me out in the early days until I started opening up my guns and in almost 2 decades into PCPs moisture has never been an issue.
I think a lot of this worry about moisture is from bleeding the line . the bleed point is at the source and moisture squirts out , the person see's it and assumes moisture is present throughout the system . when in fact it is at the source where the heated (compressed ) air cools immediately (the connection's pump/to hose act's as a heat sink ?) and moisture drops out before reaching the gun . does that sound reasonable ?

I think a lot of this worry about moisture is from bleeding the line . the bleed point is at the source and moisture squirts out , the person see's it and assumes moisture is present throughout the system . when in fact it is at the source where the heated (compressed ) air cools immediately (the connection's pump/to hose act's as a heat sink ?) and moisture drops out before reaching the gun . does that sound reasonable ?
Correct pumps are made with a reservoir at the bottom to collect moisture so when you feel that mist bleeding the valve they are doing what they are supposed to do.

Water is heavier than air so its best to keep your fill line / gun elevated above that reservoir / base of the pump imo.

-Matt
Yep that too, ...........yesterday after I filled the guns several times Billy become interested in Handpumps ( he also had fell victim of the misinformation )

and I showed him that technique of putting the gun on a coffee table above the pump,.....don't know if it actually matters but why not ? it's not any extra effort.

I hand pumped my Prod and it was no big deal. But my next gun was an Avenger and filling 180cc instead of 60cc to 300 bar instead of 2500 psi was a big difference. I did fill the Avenger to 300 bar at least once, I agree it can be done, but I decided I did not want to do it. I don't see how age makes a difference but I just turned 68. I weight about 185 but I don't think weight matters much either. Hand pumps work but to fill the Avenger meant hundreds of pumps and I just didn't want to spend my time that way. To me the challenge is more the volume of air you are trying to fill more than the pressure you want to pump to. Small storage on the gun makes hand pumping more feasible from my point of view. I still have my two hand pumps and if my YH breaks I will pull them out to be able to continue to shoot while I either fix the YH or get something else. But I don't really want to hand pump for more than a brief period of time. Too much like work.

I think difficulty depends on the type of pump. Ive personally seen a guy who was stronger than me but weighed less and couldn't go past 3500 or so on my old mark 4 hill pump. Now I have the huben pump instead. I counted about 160 strokes to fill my gk1 the other day, but it could be my seals are about due for a change. I love that the huben pump has silicone oil adding port. I prefer my cs4 to fill it for sure.

I think I need a better hand pump. I have a couple and just getting up about 4000 psi becomes almost impossible and I’m about 170 lbs. I have pumped a ton, including (for about a year) 500cc af bottles but either my weight, technique, or pump isn’t quite up to the task of getting those pressures.
I don't know about that tho, my 4 Handpumps are just the generic hind you get on Amazon for 50 bucks.

I think difficulty depends on the type of pump. Ive personally seen a guy who was stronger than me but weighed less and couldn't go past 3500 or so on my old mark 4 hill pump. Now I have the huben pump instead. I counted about 160 strokes to fill my gk1 the other day, but it could be my seals are about due for a change. I love that the huben pump has silicone oil adding port. I prefer my cs4 to fill it for sure.
HILLs are the most overrated pumps out there, ..........they cannot hold a candle to the cheap China pump

I don't know about that tho, my 4 Handpumps are just the generic hind you get on Amazon for 50 bucks.
I don’t mean more expensive I just mean one that can be forced down by someone in the 170lb range up above 4000 psi. I might just need a new cheap one or to give the one I have a thorough cleaning.

Reactions: Nomadic Pirate 66
Gosh,I have no PCP that needs more than3500psi, Thank Goodness:LOL:
I'm not planning to go over 250 BAR when I get my Huben or Hubens and that is a breeze,

it's just good to know that going to 5000 psi isn't an impossibility like a lot of people I hear saying, and it's actually easier then I was expecting.