Huben Handpumping PCPs to 5.000 psi

If the system were really efficient, supposedly an hour on a exercise bike generates around .11 kwh. Definitely a noteworthy amount of energy. I bet it would be a fun project.

Even if you arranged the system to cycle a manual compressor/hand pump, it would sure beat the heck out of hand pumping the traditional way!

I'd could even see a system that uses nothing more than leverage, no different than comparing bolt action (traditional hand pumping motion) vs a side lever.

-Matt
Someone with the backing and brains should really look into producing something.

Not sure why mechanical advantages aren't built into any current hand pumps, similar to water pumps, maybe its the stroke length or the fact you need to stand over them to stabilize them. I certainly don't enjoy the current motions involved in a pcp hand pump! If my guns were all 2,000 psi~ than traditional hand pumps wouldn't bother me at my 140~ lb weight.

1699590708245.jpeg

-Matt

Not sure why mechanical advantages aren't built into any current hand pumps, similar to water pumps, maybe its the stroke length or the fact you need to stand over them to stabilize them. I certainly don't enjoy the current motions involved in a pcp hand pump! If my guns were all 2,000 psi~ than traditional hand pumps wouldn't bother me at my 140~ lb weight.

View attachment 404795

-Matt
It is built into them (pneumatically) - they are staged:

Also, there is no need for adding any more stuff to the basic design. Reducing the cross-sectional area of the piston(s) would make it easier to pump, and then you'd need proportionally more pump strokes to fill a fixed volume to the same pressure. People seem to optimize designs for short pumping times, by the looks of it, which is a reasonable approach.

It is all the same amount of overall energy that you have to put into it, for a fixed tank volume and final pressure, you only have a choice of how to spread that energy over time. It is easy to spread it with narrower pump pistons, and for a lower peak force, if you want to spend twice longer time pumping.

Last edited:
I’ve been thinking about ordering a 5000psi Huben hand pump with my GK1 on the way, but didn’t know if it would be waste. I guess this answers my question. Off to spend more money.

Does the relatively tiny size of the pistol’s tube make this possible as opposed to, say, a K1 tube?
I’ve tried hand pumping my k1 bullpup before and realized it takes too long. Especially if you wait for the pump to cool off instead of pumping it like a madman disregarding the heat building up inside. When I replaced my compressor and got a tank I did not attempt that again.

After getting the pistol I pulled out the Huben pump to try filling it from 200 bar to 300 bar. It only took around 40 strokes get there. Much more practical compared to hand pumping the bullpup.

Another thing to note is the cheap Chinese pumps I’ve owned took about the same effort as the huben pump. The huben hand pump is expensive because of the titanium tube and better build quality but for the price you can buy 7 cheap pumps.

Reactions: Offhand