Huben Handpumping PCPs to 5.000 psi

This post is for all those member that wander and for all that say you need to be 400 pounds to do it.

I had filled PCPs to 250 BAR 3600 psi before easily and yet I often hear that unless you are 250 pounds it cannot be done and your body will be lifted ( I'm 145 pound )

Tried and tried to make people see the light but I always get shot down with rhetoric and often hearsay,....well today I filled the Huben pistol not once but several time to 5000 psi, my 145 pounds did just fine and to go from 180 BAR to 350 BAR 5000 psi really took no time and minimal effort.

I've also wondered. I've gotten up there, but 5000 psi ?
I'm at 280lbs. as measured at the hospital last week. I've gone to in the 3800psi, (Hill pump) fairly easily. Never pushed past that.

Mike
Yeah, I also always wandered and finally now I know for a fact,.....nothing like hands on experience and I can tell for a fact that a 145 pounds person can fill a gun to 5000 psi with a handpump.

What brand hand pump did you use? I didn't realize hand pumps could fill to that pressure! I have a Benjamin Hand Pump and a cheap Chinese Hand Pump, I may give this a try, it would be much easier than bringing along a compressor!
I have 4 handpumps, 2 are TOUSA but I used my oldest one a Moghborne or something like that cannot remember the spelling exactly

I’ve been thinking about ordering a 5000psi Huben hand pump with my GK1 on the way, but didn’t know if it would be waste. I guess this answers my question. Off to spend more money.

Does the relatively tiny size of the pistol’s tube make this possible as opposed to, say, a K1 tube?
Well the difference would be the number of pumps to fill the bigger tube, but 5000 psi is 5000 psi so the final effort is the same.

Can I do it and have I done it? Sure (140 lbs soaking wet). Do I want to do it? No!
This is more directed at the misinformation about the fact that above 200 BAR unless you super heavy you would not be able to depress the handle.

Well now I have some data so I can tell that it's misinformation indeed.

Whether you want to do it or not it's a personal decision, all I can say is that to bring back this pistol to 5000 psi was pretty fast and not that hard,....definitely a valuable option for those that want to

I've hand pumped up to 4500 psi but it was with a dead head. 6' 210 lbs and late 60s at the time. I've pumped up my Sumatra 500 once but won't ever do it again. The hose wasn't large enough to release the pressure to seal the 1 way valve and all of the pressure just leaked out.🤬🤬🤬

I haven’t used any of the hand pumps advertised as a 5000psi type but have definitely noticed a difference in pumping effort between various pumps. For example my Hill pump (mk3, I think) fills my 3k guns more quickly than my generic Chinese pump, but I prefer the latter when filling to 3600psi (250 bar) because it’s easier to complete the stroke at elevated pressures.

The Hill has a larger diameter final stage so it makes sense that it moves more air per stroke at the expense of more force applied. Not sure if that explains all of the difference but I think it’s the main reason.

Reactions: Ranchibi
what about heat concerns ? pumping that much certainly produced heat and that results in moisture ?
I don't know but that was one thing that really stressed me out in the early days until I started opening up my guns and in almost 2 decades into PCPs moisture has never been an issue.