• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Handling .177 pellets with bad mitts and eyes...tips and tricks please

I know that problem. I have a Diana Chaser and try as I may, the pellet drops in backwards.

Seems to me that the pens should be redesigned to allow pellets to be entered side by side, rather than end to end.... make the "pen" like a semi-auto handgun magazine.with a mechanism to feed one pellet at a time... Hey, I would buy one.

Reactions: AmosBurton
All I use is .177 and I am nearly 63 with arthritis and medium sized hands/fingers.

I NEVER try to load straight out of the tin. What I do is release a small amount of pellets (hopefully the amount I need) onto a cushioned mouse pad that I use solely for this purpose. I always use magazines and PCPs. So, if you are a single pellet loader, you may have to work out the logistics for that, but having the pellets on something like a mouse pad will allow you to pick up a single pellet MUCH more easily. (grin)

This allows me to easily pick up individual pellets with my fingers. Trying to pick up .177 pellets straight from the tin is a fools errand, IMHO.

Give the mouse pad or something similar a try and I think you will not be so disabled when loading .177 pellets.

Oh well, to each their own and the best of luck to everyone! (smile)

If the power that a 22 can produce worries you, maybe “shoot for”(pun intended) 20 cal? Depending on the type of platform(springer, pcp) a 20 cal can be had more easily in a springer break barrel than a pcp. I know there are a couple of folks on here, I believe Motörhead and Lewis that are 20 cal aficionado’s and maybe they could guide you better

I know that problem. I have a Diana Chaser and try as I may, the pellet drops in backwards.

Seems to me that the pens should be redesigned to allow pellets to be entered side by side, rather than end to end.... make the "pen" like a semi-auto handgun magazine.with a mechanism to feed one pellet at a time... Hey, I would buy one.
I tried to design ,the problem is the insertion of pellet into the barrel ,

If the power that a 22 can produce worries you, maybe “shoot for”(pun intended) 20 cal? Depending on the type of platform(springer, pcp) a 20 cal can be had more easily in a springer break barrel than a pcp. I know there are a couple of folks on here, I believe Motörhead and Lewis that are 20 cal aficionado’s and maybe they could guide you better
Not worried just thought .177 would be better for inside/around the building. It's already got some holes in the walls, no need for more.
I was originally brought back to airguns after seeing an article on .20 somewhere. I like the idea but they seem to be getting rare and I only see 4 types of pellets.

Having shot .22 for a while, changing to .177 the pellets felt a lot smaller and took some getting used to.

I did get the stud mag loader system, which are fast and effortless, but there are a few drawbacks.

1: They only work with traditional diabolo shaped pellets, when the shape get alternative like say monster redesign, it dont really work.
2: As i recall the only make stuff that work with FX magazines.

But other than that, filling a Maverick magazine and 5 speed loaders,,,,, really you should use seconds to list the time it take as it is very few minutes.

My problem is i dont shoot pellets in my maverick, so i have a .177 kit in surplus.

Reactions: qball
I would love to have a 177, BUT MY FINGERS SAID TO TAKE A HIKE, and I will not get out tweezers every time to load,
I got (2) 20 cal break barrel, , but that is the limit for me, everything else I have is(5) 22, and (2) 25
like the rest of this crowd,,, old fat fingers with some arthritis,,,, and some times my finger get tourettes

• Haha
Reactions: Beer Nap
I'd like to get a .177 but have such a hard time handling pellets I'm leaning towards .22 unless someone has some great tips for loading.
Currently my only .177 loading experience is loading my 1950's single shot Sears & Roebuck Daisy.
I feel like loading a magazine might be easier but am not sure about that.
Thanks for any input.
Just a thought…there are some very clever single shot loaders available for a variety of rifles..I have one for my RAW TM, BSA R10, and FX Dreamline …they have a tab to accuate..lay over allowing pellet insertion, then snap closed using a small magnet. If you haven’t acquired a a rifle yet check out some of the loaders…they may coincide with a rifle that suits you. Rowan Engineering has a few different ones to check out. Good luck with your search. John

yes they can be aggravating, its hard for me to get them out of the tin, my fingers are just too big .. id say though, if you have a cloth lined tray or plate and dump a few out at a time theyed be easier to grab and manipulate ..
Get a local guy or shop to drill a hole making a cup in a small thin piece of aluminum and use that.. it will work fine..

Here is sort of an example of what I meant. You could even glue the tube to a piece of wood or plastic to get a 90 degree angle. Patient Pending.

View attachment 333646
You could even glue a bigger tube on to that tub and just leave about .115 on the end to hold the end pellet .. then the rest are waiting to be inserted.. and use a dowel or something to advance each pellet.. Patent Pending

In front is a brass black powder nipple capper. It is actually the perfect size to load and hold .177. It just needs the end to be redesigned to push the pellet into the gun.

IMG_1695.jpg

I'd like to get a .177 but have such a hard time handling pellets I'm leaning towards .22 unless someone has some great tips for loading.
Currently my only .177 loading experience is loading my 1950's single shot Sears & Roebuck Daisy.
I feel like loading a magazine might be easier but am not sure about that.
Thanks for any input.
i am 6'6" tall and my hands are twice the size of most i bought the stud mag loader for my crown it works fantastic i pour the pellets in this plastic pan shake it side to side and they fall in it is fantastic i have used it for 8.44 grain and 10.3 and it works like a charm no problems i have nothing to do with the sale of these a friend of mine had one showed it to me and i ordered when i got home

Guns with rotary mags are probably easier to load, than cassete type mags. The reason is that you need to rotate and hold the spring forse with one hand, fix the first pellet (depending on what style of mag), and drop with the other. If you drop one the wrong way, it is a litle more hassle to take it out again.
On a rotary mag you just push the pelllet in any hole you wish. The O-ring prevent it falling through, and if you put it in the wrong way, you can just put it all through on the other side with a small pick.