Hand Pumps

Is anyone using the hand pump anymore. Im trying to sell one and dont see much interest. I had ordered it with my first airgun, then waited for months, and bought a SCBA and then a airgun that was available. Forgetting i had the hand pump on order. I havnt even opened the box. I dont see myself pumping away like that.

How many hand pumps are there out there and what has been your experience with them?

I started with a Hill Mk III to pump my Marauder rifles and pistols pumping to 220 bar/3200 psi). So far, I haven't needed to rebuild it. I bought a couple of Hill MK IV pumps to make the higher pressures for my Edgun Leshiy and R5M. So far they have been quite reliable with occasional use. I top off the Leshiy from 170 bar to about 280 bar (about 4100 psi) in one session without rest; it takes maybe 40 strokes. The R5M takes longer and I do two sets on it with a short rest between to catch my breath (I'm getting old...). The secret seems to be to pump slowly to avoid overheating the seals.

My brother-in-law bought a Benjamin branded pump years ago for his Marauder rifle, and it has also been reliable with occasional use and no rebuild.

I consider the exercise benefit and simplicity to be a good trade-off with the cost and frustration of a compressor. If I shot a lot more, I might change my mind, but l've seen so many posts from people disappointed with all but the high dollar compressors.

They've become a commodity rather than premium good, so Chinese knock-offs are abundant -- and of course many of the main brands are Chinese too. You can argue the quality variations all you want, and some of it will be on point but I bet a lot of it will be WAY off. It's like with laptop computers -- huge disputes about quality but only a few factories make them for every brand name slapped on them. Or clothes. Or sneakers. The divergence between "cheap" and "quality" in those goods is often way less than one might think, and often hilariously so. Extrapolate accordingly.

I only have one. It gets sweaty. If you are fine with that, then okay. But many guns take only 20 to 30 shots before needing to top off again if you want to get consistent results. You can whiz through that in no time at all. Especially if you aren't thinking about the consequences of pumping. But if you ARE thinking about it ... a pump may disappoint you. You'll be pumping a lot.

But not only that, you'll be pumping slower than you like, at least on a tank of any considerable size. You don't want to overheat anything. So you can't just jam it on through like a broken hero on a last chance power drive. You have to pause at the top AND at the bottom AND ... that gets tedious. You're not only sweaty but bored.

Is it TRULY hard to go from say 2000 PSI to 3000 or so? Nah. But it takes time and patience, not just effort. How much time do you have in your life that you want to spend not having fun when the whole point might have been having fun in the first place?

It works. It's no misery. But there's no joy in it and time keeps flying ...

Started out with a Hill MK3 on a Gamo Urban. Destroyed the Urban attempting to install an Altaros regulator. "Went Big" and ordered a Brocock Commander because I really enjoyed plinking with air rifles and the quiet report as compared to say shooting .22 LR, 90 cu-in Ninja CF tank with EZ Valve, and an Air Force E-Pump which self-detonated in about a month. "Went Big" again after a two month fiasco with Air Force to get a refund and ordered a Daystate LC-110. Ended up giving away the Hill MK3 to a member here. Picked up a Concept Lite from a member here for my kiddos, found out I liked it better than the Commander, and sold it off to a member here.

I hated hand pumping. It was uncomfortable and by the time I was done pumping the heart rate and sweating made me often going "Do I really want to shoot, only to have to pump again?"

Unlimited air makes the hobby WAY more fun. ~10 minutes to refill my 90cu-in tank and I'm back out plinking. I'm happy with my right-sized setup -- LC-110, 90cu-in Ninja Tank w/EZ Valve, and Brocock Concept Lite. Just right to enjoy the hobby and plinking without any hassle.

For me, I found myself pumping more than I was shooting. It made the hobby misreable as compared to the current state with a compressor.

Unlimited air makes the hobby WAY more fun. ~10 minutes to refill my 90cu-in tank and I'm back out plinking. I'm happy with my right-sized setup -- LC-110, 90cu-in Ninja Tank w/EZ Valve, and Brocock Concept Lite. Just right to enjoy the hobby and plinking without any hassle.

$2k for a compressor is a lot but if it's built like a tank then I can understand.

I know this may sound weird but I like my hand pump. 3 stage FX that came with the rifle as a package deal. 50 or so pumps between a cool down for me me (and the pump). Almost resembles exercise, and with my belly, I can use a bit. Also have a small reserve scuba tank rated to 3000 psi so I pump that up if I’m going to the range. Between the 230 bar in the rifle and the 200 bar in the tank, I’m good for well over 130 shots and that is a whole lot of testing for me with my 25 cal.

Some people pay gym membership. Some people run nowhere on treadmills or ride nowhere on exercise bikes. I pump up my Streamline and small reserve bottle. Good triceps workout.