Hand pumps: are the Hill Mk5 pumps worth the extra expense?

New to PCP, have not even bought a PCP rifle yet, but kind of tires of destroying scopes with a powerful springer. Looking at the portable filling options, it seems lie a manual pump might be the best choice for me, at least for right now. In the bit of research that I have done the Hill pumps seem t rise to the top. Are they that much better than the house brand pumps sold by some of the vendors? If so, in what way? Do they pump faster? easier? last longer? more user-serviceable? 

They are better made. The mk3 was the best in my opinion. Don't buy into the intake filter bs. It doesn't work. You will need to buy an in-line filter. The mk 5 is a bit cheaper than the old mk4 and mk3...believe it or not. My advice: skip the pumps and go to a tank or compressor. I still handpump sometimes, even today, but there are physical drawbacks. Luckily I am shredded so no worries for me.

Reactions: tywynn and anirudh
The Hill pumps are superior to the other hand pumps and the only other pump I would buy is the $50 from Wal-Mart and a good $80 filter for it. That's just me however my $50 Wal-Mart pump and easier to pump than my Hill Mk3 and hadn't even given any thought of buying new Hills after the MK3 since I just grab the Chinese hand pump ($50 Walmart). I paid $40 for mine several years ago. Either the Hill or the Wal-Mart one would be my choice IMHO besides of you buy any other costing in between these 2 models you may likely get a rebranded $50 Wal-Mart China pump and pay 2x - 3x for the same pump under a different brand label.

Waitaminute I do have a Hill MK4 but it's still in its box.

The Hill pumps are superior to the other hand pumps and the only other pump I would buy is the $50 from Wal-Mart and a good $80 filter for it. That's just me however my $50 Wal-Mart pump and easier to pump than my Hill Mk3 and hadn't even given any thought of buying new Hills after the MK3 since I just grab the Chinese hand pump ($50 Walmart). I paid $40 for mine several years ago. Either the Hill or the Wal-Mart one would be my choice IMHO besides of you buy any other costing in between these 2 models you may likely get a rebranded $50 Wal-Mart China pump and pay 2x - 3x for the same pump under a different brand label.

Waitaminute I do have a Hill MK4 but it's still in its box.

I have a mk4. Try it out. The mk3 is better...but perhaps I am wrong I would like your opinion.

Jimaok,

I own a Marauder Pistol (65cc cylinder) and a Benjamin Fortitude (135cc cylinder). I only have a Hill pump. I weigh 155 pounds, I'm 77 years old, and I spend too much time as a couch potato. These guns with small air cylinders are not bad to pump up. Then again, if I had to fill one of them several times in one day I'm sure I would have another opinion.

Keep in mind that you will only pump up your gun from "0" once. 

Some day I will buy a much more powerful PCP rifle. The cost of the rifle will include either a compressor of a tank. 

Reactions: Headshots
Can you just hand pump directly into a Maximus or Marauder Pistol? What is the inline filter I see mentioned occasionally? I saw an inline filter at PA for about $20, is that what I would need if I went the PCP route? I think when you get the Marauder Pistol kit, it just has a pump, no filter is included. Do we really need one?

You don't have to but it is highly recommended. Anything is better than nothing. If you get one that is too large, you have to fill that volume as well! Also, stop and take breaks when the pump is warm 

My MK3 is about 8 years old. I haven't used it a lot, but grease the main tube 2x a year with silicone grease, and change the dry pac as needed. 

My marauder has been hand pumped since I've owned it, same 8 years. I've had it fully torn down for a reseal a year ago...0 corrosion. I never notice moisture when I open the bleed screw on the pump. I pump slow and even, and when the pump gets warm I bleed it off and let it cool.

I'd gladly spend the extra money for the hill, every time. Quality, and they last. I use the dry pac, it's maybe $20/year, and if my guns don't get water, it's worth it to me. 

Reactions: anirudh
I have a Cheap Chinese Pump I got with my first airgun. Now I LIVE IN HUMIDITY... here in Hawaii, so this moisture thing is a THING with me. I NOW use a water trap filter when I pump or compress air into my shooting projects... :D :D :D I now ALSO have a Hill Pump... and though I'm not sure it's ALL that more efficient, it does seem to get more air into the gun stroke per stroke compared to my original pump. If possible, I'd try to insure at least SOME KIND of WATER TRAP filter if you don't live in a desert... :D

110% no they are not. I can buy 4 China pumps and probably still have some change left over. I have three china pumps. Two I bought at the same time. One for back up. Those two have been going very well for nearly two years. I just maintain them with a little silicone oil every couple weeks. Only other thing I have to do is change the check valve oring periodically. Takes 2 minutes and is one tiny little oring. My third pump I bought from a member on here because he gave it to me for the cost of shipping so why not. So I have 115 bucks in three pumps that all are going strong. I easily fill my fx streamlines from 150 bar to 230 bar regularly. Don’t be afraid. I’m 50 and it isn’t bad. Any tube cylinder gun isn’t bad. I fill my streamline 25 cal 255 cc cylinder all the time. I filled my avengers to 3600 with these pumps. Is a carbon bottle faster and easier? Definitely and I do have one but a pump isn’t as bad as most of this community makes it out to be. Although I have tanks I often find myself just using the pump if I’m not going to be having a long shooting session. Don’t waste the money on a hill. Buy a 50 dollar Amazon pump.

Reactions: megiddo65
The ideas are good small gun may get by hand pumping . Lots of guys go 50$ china and do fine. The hill or comparison priced are like what 200$ ?

Then your looking g to shoot vs pumping, resting ,pumping now arm tired.

Then for a few bucks more of a hill sold by walmart or at a amazon deal for a example

https://www.walmart.com/ip/VEVOR-PC...-Adapter-Fan-Cooling-Suitable-Paint/385360124

you use it as much as possble in the 90 day return and it fails take it back of its still going strong it maybe a keeper ..

No expert on this but sounds reasonable . And may keep me shooting better then hand pumping all day shooting

New to PCP, have not even bought a PCP rifle yet, but kind of tires of destroying scopes with a powerful springer. Looking at the portable filling options, it seems lie a manual pump might be the best choice for me, at least for right now. In the bit of research that I have done the Hill pumps seem t rise to the top. Are they that much better than the house brand pumps sold by some of the vendors? If so, in what way? Do they pump faster? easier? last longer? more user-serviceable?
If I hade to pump it I would get a
BB gun