• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Hand Pumping With Sciatica

When I first got a PCP, I filled by a stirrup pump!
I weigh about 165 st the time..with a bum back....
Anyway pumping up a PCP is ALL IN THE LEGS!!!!!!!
Note: to keep the pump and gun happy, drain the moisture trap Often...
Also let the pump cool down!!!
I used to do 25 strokes.. cool down then another 25.
Then bleed off the moisture trap during this cool down period.
So keep back straight.. use your Legs!!

Last edited:
I'm 54 6'1 and 235 lbs and I don't find hand pumping difficult at all. I use my legs mostly and I've never felt any stress on my back or had soreness afterwards. I've been using a hand pump for at least 20 years and I currently own 12 pcps. I also have a 15 ci 4500 psi tank I fill once in awhile. I've never owned a compressor, but I'm sure I will in a few years though.

Reactions: sscoyote
I'm 54 6'1 and 235 lbs and I don't find hand pumping difficult at all. I use my legs mostly and I've never felt any stress on my back or had soreness afterwards. I've been using a hand pump for at least 20 years and I currently own 12 pcps. I also have a 15 ci 4500 psi tank I fill once in awhile. I've never owned a compressor, but I'm sure I will in a few years though.
I thought I had the hand pumping record but looks like you got me with 20 years and 12 PCPs...I made it 19 years to 68, never had an issue until stroke...now just too much pain to make hand pumping worth while...Today starts a new era for me with an Omaga Trail Charger...couldn't even sleep last night so excited...I hope the thing holds up! I have 7 to feed...and their HUNGEY!!!

I tell you it's tough at only 125 lbs. trying to get the last pumps in, but I always felt if I was going to shoot an airgun I had to "earn" it. Just my kookee idiosyncracy I guess. Now I might have to go to a compressor. I have one and a wingman tank coming just never used it. Somebody needs to come up with a super portable foot pump for us...that'd be nice.:)

I thought I had the hand pumping record but looks like you got me with 20 years and 12 PCPs...I made it 19 years to 68, never had an issue until stroke...now just too much pain to make hand pumping worth while...Today starts a new era for me with an Omaga Trail Charger...couldn't even sleep last night so excited...I hope the thing holds up! I have 7 to feed...and their HUNGEY!!!
still need to let it cool a bit between guns , better safe than stressing it

I hear you. I love my airguns and I know there's a day coming when my body will let me down. I should probably go ahead and pick up a couple of compressors and have them on hand. I really don't mind the workout at all and I do believe it's a part of the reason I'm still in good shape but that's not going to be a permanent situation.

The folks giving the advice on proper technique along with telling the OP to use his core have probably never suffered sciatica pain.

Sciatica pain at its highest level is a crippling pain. Once the nerve has been aggravated, Any position you put yourself into aggravates the nerve even more so You most definitely don’t want to be hand pumping a pcp unless you’re ingesting so much pain meds to mask the pain you’re gonna feel at that moment of pumping and later on that night in bed.

My advice- ditch the pump, get a tank. Less crippling

Tighten core--i think i forgot that part-will remember next time thanks!. I actually did it though 6ish sessions 15 pumps each--yippee!!

The folks giving the advice on proper technique along with telling the OP to use his core have probably never suffered sciatica pain.

Sciatica pain at its highest level is a crippling pain. Once the nerve has been aggravated, Any position you put yourself into aggravates the nerve even more so You most definitely don’t want to be hand pumping a pcp unless you’re ingesting so much pain meds to mask the pain you’re gonna feel at that moment of pumping and later on that night in bed.

My advice- ditch the pump, get a tank. Less crippling
I do have sciatica. It's not constant and it's not crippling most of the time. It does run all the way down my left leg when it hits. Thankfully I have a great chiropractor.

From 2003 to 2004.5 I had constant sciatica pain. So bad I couldn’t walk twenty feet without having to stop. It’s the worst pain I had ever been through. A lamenectomy fixed it, then in 2012 after surgery for a quad tendon rupture in my right knee, I somehow got sciatica again on my left leg. This led to permanent numbness and I ended up with the drop foot

How do you manage it?
if you’re asking about sciatica, I’ll never get it again. Sold my soul to the devil on that one, lol.
2018, Dr offered me a plan to rid me of all my back aches. No more sciatica, nothing. The trade? Remove all discs in the lumbar area, all of them. Fill their spaces with plastic white spacers, then screw titanium anchors into each vertebrae from tailbone to T9 around the diaphragm level. These anchors each have a thru hole, about 3/8” in diameter, along with a grub screw. Two rods slip down each side of the vertebrae and the grub screws lock the rods in place.

To secure the cage, 3/8” x 4” long lag bolts get drilled into the pelvic area. And there you have it. No more back pain- WRONG!!! What you have now is excruciating pain if you decide to do something you used to do, like go to the batting cages or sleep on your stomach and twist your hip to get up.
I’ve got magnet pick up tools all over, and all my shoes today are slip ons. No shoelaces. Yeah, it was a trade off I sometimes wonder, if I got the best of the deal
IMG_0691.jpeg
IMG_0693.jpeg