Hand Pumping PCP?

Thanks, I'll try. its been like that since it was new, so I thought thats just the way it is.
My inexpensive Amazon 3 stage hand pump was that same way out of the box, and would not draw air. Taking it apart revealed the factory loaded it up with grease. After cleaning and light silicone oil, it pushes air up to 300 bar now.

Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
Not that it matters but I'm amazed how many replies there are to the OP. I would have thought this topic would have been discussed and exhausted long ago. Glad it wasn't and a big tks to the original OP!
I'm glad to see all the replies. I guess it' a subject that's really passionate? After reading all the replies I am leaning into buying a small chineseum pump?

Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
I'm glad to see all the replies. I guess it' a subject that's really passionate? After reading all the replies I am leaning into buying a small chineseum pump?
Amazon has 30 day full returns. I would get a cheap chineseum pump, try it out and return it if it is not absolutely perfect and easy.

From what i have seen, most people have either have compressor + handpump or just handpump only.

if you really want to hand pump , just limit your shots as in the top 20 shots and top the gun off back to full pressure . then it is only maybe 50 pumps which (me) @ 77 years old in decent shape is just fine . and if your hunting are you really going to shoot 20 shots ?

Handpumping to hunt is definitely very doable. I agree initial fills are a bear, I did it on my Avenger, but refills don't have to be very difficult. But I found hand pumping to be more than I enjoyed when plinking/target shooting. But if my YH breaks, I will pull out the hand pumps while fixing it and/or getting another compressor. Fills of guns don't take 7-8 minutes, by the way. More like 1-2. Taking my 45 minute SCBA from 3300 to 300 bar took 15 minutes a few days ago (66 cubic feet). Noisy as heck but does a good job.

Ok, I have purchased my first PCP and it should come in the mail next week....

I am debating on a compressor vs a hand pump. It's not a rifle I'll be plinking with so much, mainly just field use/small game hunting etc.

I've read a mix of comments on hand pumps. Deep down I don't think I'd need more than a hand pump, but have no idea what to truly expect.

I bought a Caiman in 25 cal. How many pumps would I expect to fill it to proper pressure with a 4 stage hand pump? 100? 50? 200?

I've used a hand pump a fair amount on tires...Not just bicycles.. Probably pumped up 2 dozen tires on a Jeep by hand over 2-3 years. I'm sort of guessing a PCP pump might be comparable?
First, I doubt you are pumping your tires to 3500psi. Second, I'd suggest getting a stress test on your heart because this will be one. I'd say go to your local dive shop but.....I've got a gut feeling buying a compressor might be cheaper. Personally, I get winded looking at stairs.

Reactions: Florida_Man
It’s definitely easier and more pleasurable to NOT hand pump. I have a cpl scba bottles and a compressor. I said I’d never buy a compressor as they will fail eventually. However, target forge has parts for the gx cs2 compressor so the wait for the inevitable failure isn’t quite so bad. Hand pumping isn’t horrible though. I’ve pumped my 300cc bottled fx Maverick from 150 bar to 250 bar numerous times. Very doable. Either way a hand pump is a great tool to have for sure.

I don't mean to be critical of folks who hand pump. I admire your dedication. I have a good Hill pump, which I have used exactly one time. For me, it sucks. I would probably not own a PCP rifle if I had to hand pump it. In addition to the physical exertion, the air is not as dry as that from a dive shop, a potential problem. Although I'm in good physical condition, I'm old and lazy.

Reactions: 7Green
Ok, I have purchased my first PCP and it should come in the mail next week....

I am debating on a compressor vs a hand pump. It's not a rifle I'll be plinking with so much, mainly just field use/small game hunting etc.

I've read a mix of comments on hand pumps. Deep down I don't think I'd need more than a hand pump, but have no idea what to truly expect.

I bought a Caiman in 25 cal. How many pumps would I expect to fill it to proper pressure with a 4 stage hand pump? 100? 50? 200?

I've used a hand pump a fair amount on tires...Not just bicycles.. Probably pumped up 2 dozen tires on a Jeep by hand over 2-3 years. I'm sort of guessing a PCP pump might be comparable?
Pumping blows. It is far harder than a tire. I hope you are young too, as I hate it at 40. On the other hand, congrats on the pcp. They are fun to shoot.

First, I doubt you are pumping your tires to 3500psi. Second, I'd suggest getting a stress test on your heart because this will be one. I'd say go to your local dive shop but.....I've got a gut feeling buying a compressor might be cheaper. Personally, I get winded looking at stairs.
No car tires to 3500 psi just yet, lol. I used it as a comparison to feel out the number of strokes and down pressure on a pump handle. I carried a US Ordnance Pump hand pump in my Mail Jeep that came from, well, an Army Jeep. Seems like I remember my Jeep tires taking about 150 strokes from flat to drivable after a roadside repair. That pump was fairly large diameter bore requiring a little more force than a common bicycle pump.

I never enjoyed pumping up those 10ply truck tires, but for some reason I never made any effort to purchase a small electric pump?

Last edited:
Basically, what this all boils down to is if you really need a compressor or just want one.

What I mean by that is, as I have already said, I shoot a relatively low powered .177 airgun for pesting in my backyard. So I take relatively few shots over a few days or weeks at times. The airgun is VERY efficient, such that when I have shot about 3 mags/30 rounds, it only takes me 30+/- pumps to bring the airgun back up to full capacity at 3000psi.

The only time I shoot a LOT of pellets in a single session (more than one 10 round mag) is when I start to miss a lot and have to try and figure out why. Even then, I don't shoot the gun (regulated) past 2500psi to keep the test consistent. And most of the time, I can attribute my missing to the person pulling the trigger... (sheepish grin)

However, the scope I am using is also prone to shift POA/POI from time to time and a new tin of pellets can also make a difference. See my sig...

Now, if you shoot a lot more than that or are using a higher caliber gun, especially something higher than a .22, then you start to get into the realm of where a compressor might be something you should consider.

If you like to shoot LOTS of rounds in a single session, even with an efficient .177 or .22, then you may want to consider a compressor.

There is one comment from beerthief who says he is 77 and hand pumping is not a problem. I am 63 and not in great shape, and hand pumping is not a problem.

Another thing I wanted to mention. I try to only pump when the dew point is relatively low. Right now, the dew point/relative humidity is very low (DP 33, RH 73, temp 46F) and I actually am running fans in my windows constantly. When the temps and dew point start to rise enough to run the A/C, I will only pump when the air is relatively dry inside my house. I NEVER pump outside during the summer here in Alabama. The humidity is just too high.

Anyway, IF you NEED a compressor because you shoot enough or have higher caliber airguns that use a lot more air, then go for it!

BUT, there are a lot of us who shoot lower powered low caliber airguns who get along just fine without spending all that money on tanks, compressors, etc.

And apparently most of us are older... maybe wiser. (grin)

p.s. Don't believe the marketing that you NEED more than you are satisfied with.

Last edited:
I even used it to fill my small Benjamin 90 cubic inch bottle. But that takes some babysitting. I'm planning to update the electronics to automate filling of even large tanks. Of course it would take a very long time but I won't have to sit and babysit it. For pumping times of less than 2 mins it can fill the equivalent of 20 liters of air at 1 ATM a minute at 300 bar. For sustained use needing cooling down time the fill rate is only about 1.8 liters per minute. The fill rate is faster at lower pressure because the pump doesn't heat up as much, so the on duty cycle is longer. Starting from an empty tank the fill rate is over 60 liters per minute slow down to only 20 liters per minute at 300 bar.

The Hill MK3 is a solid pump. I'm using to over 300 bar (4500 psi) over its rated maximum. I forgot to open the valve on my tank and it redlined blowing up the gauge, but no other damage to the pump. I'm still on the original o-rings. I stop pumping when it gets warm a let it cool down for 10 mins. At 300 bars that about 60 pumps.

Of course I started this long before they had decent low-cost compressors that work OK. I wouldn't recommend anybody build such a thing today.

PXL_20230424_094219796.jpg

Last edited: