Hand Pumping PCP?

There's a lot of suggestions to weed through in this thread. Here's my advice as a whole for a new participant in this hobby... "Buy what you can afford." "Buy once, cry once." "Only you can answer these questions, but first through dedicated research."

Most [of us] enthusiast in this hobby start out with 'small' purchases then buy better guns and gear as we evolve. A well thought out plan will limit the amount of "extra" gear collecting dust. That said, with air consumption (and storage) try to first determine your initial needs, and try to imagine where you are going to be with them in the near future. To start, I'd suggest...

Buy a quality but inexpensive four stage hand pump and air filter to start. If you find that you need more air and do want an electric pump then you will have the hand pump as backup in case of power outages.

I have just recently asked the forum about the "best" options for a decent hand pump, (for standby for me in times of power outage). I was given multiple responses from multiple authority on hand pumping. Most suggested getting an affordable Four Uncle's or similar brand of four stage pump off Amazon instead of the "expensive" name-branded pump, and to keep them maintained (clean and oiled) so they work well.

An included purchase with any type of pump is investing in a good air filter to run inline with the air hose and gun cylinder or air tank. They are an essential requirement to prevent moisture and failure.

If you can, I'd suggest buying an affordable and appropriately sized 4,500 psi scba tank (to initially get pumped up at a scuba shop) and add stored air into with the hand pump. You will use this tank to fill the gun from. Hand pumping the tank and using it to fill the gun to optimal pressure will prevent the build up of moisture in the gun's air cylinder and it will keep you with additional backup air when you do not want to run that hand pump.

In the end if you find that you don't like the workout the hand pumps give you, then an electric pump will definitely be your next purchase. And the trusty hand pump will be there in case of emergency. The scba tank will be there still in use to fill the gun. Ultimately, the potentially priceless hand pump won't cost too much just sitting in the corner.
I appreciate the input A-H.
Way more input from everyone here than I expected.

It's hard to say what the future holds I guess? We've been shooting spring powered airguns quite a bit around here the past 2 months. Mostly in my work building or yard. Mainly target shooting. I can't see that really changing too much. I went the PCP route for field use. In the fall I hunt quite a bit and to a degree a see the Caiman as an alternative to fielding a rimfire with a can. I'm sure I'll probably fire 100 "rounds" sighting it in and getting the feel.

Last edited:
I started with a hand pump. Still have it and still use it for guns with smaller air reservoirs, or when I don't feel like messing with my tuxing compressor. I killed a few deer with my single tube dragon claw that I filled with my hand pump. It's a pretty good workout but they work well. I like having both
Would you consider 190cc a smaller reservoir?

Would you consider 190cc a smaller reservoir?
Yes but the pressure is the big difference. It takes a lot more pumps the closer you get to 300Bar, and they get tougher. A 220Bar small 190cc reservoir is pretty "easy" when compared to a 300Bar 190cc reservoir. I have a couple AEA Challengers that I have filled a few times with the handpump and it takes....days lol. Now if the Caiman can operate in the 200-250Bar range, maybe just pump to that range instead of fully to 300Bar. I think it would be a good idea to start with a Four Uncles brand pump, and if you decide later you want to stick with this hobby maybe buy a compressor. A good buddy has an Omega Trail Charger we use for the bigger guns since there is no way you can really pump up a 300Bar 580cc bottle.

Reactions: tm3 and 7Green
Here's my take. As some have said 3000psi isn't bad, anything beyond that, not me. I hand pped for a long time, then I realized that a good Hill pump costs $250 with the dry pac. A GX CX2 cost around $235 and works like magic. No way am I going back. In fact I'd make someone a good deal on a Hill MK4😁. I have bought four GX pumps for me and my pals and no failures so far and rebuild parts are easier and quicker to get than Hill parts. I have six pcp rifles and a prod in the que, so I use the GX almost every day. I have two GX, one CX2 basic model and on CX3 with auto shutoff which ismy daily user. I just had my Brocock Sniper apart and not a drop of moisture at all.

The pumping is nothing like a tire pump. HPA pumps work in both direction, its a full body workout. The pumping becomes more difficult the higher the pressure. I wouldn't want to try and pump to 300 bar, i only ever went to 200 bar pumps. A hand pump is always a good backup, but its a workout. I use a Yong Heng thats served me well.

If you can swing it, something like that will make you a happier person.

This guy has a lot of content, which I feel is important to what you go with something more bargain price. Its all part of the fun of HPA.
Mine has been going strong pumping my rifles for 2yrs now.. hand pumps are for chumps! 😀😀

EF3E50A3-F6CB-447E-B846-BA1FC76F1EDA.jpeg

Reactions: Florida_Man
Looks a lot more convenient than my tuxing compressor with its 5 gallon bucket of water.
I have one of those for filing my scuba tanks but you can’t beat the portability of the other one just to fill your rifle, I mainly use the portable on my Ataman’s with the smaller tubes, usually under a minute to fill

Reactions: MI_Yeti
I only have handpump. I never have issues with hand pumping Kral NP03 from 100 bar to 200 bar.

You just pull the the handle up (no resistance) push down a bit (slight resistance), straighten and lock elbows and use your weight (high resistance, but you use no muscle, just your weight) to push down bending at the knees.

I used to be atheletic but i am not at all atheletic now, pretty flabby and chubby. But i dont even get slight sweat from this. I guess if I had to pump up three PCPs, i would sweat from just moving.

I use a cheap $25 pump from Amazon. I have read some small sized 70 year old people on forum having no issue pumping, so i got a hand pump too.. and maybe the pumps got better, it is easier to hand pump than fast walking around my block. I sweat from walking around the block fast, no sweat if slow walking.. and i dont sweat from hand pumping.

The pumping is nothing like a tire pump. HPA pumps work in both direction, its a full body workout. The pumping becomes more difficult the higher the pressure. I wouldn't want to try and pump to 300 bar, i only ever went to 200 bar pumps. A hand pump is always a good backup, but its a workout. I use a Yong Heng thats served me well.

This guy has a lot of content, which I feel is important to what you go with something more bargain price. Its all part of the fun of HPA.
Not sure what you mean by "HPA pumps work in both direction, its a full body workout."

Hand pumps don't "pump" in both directions. When you pull the handle up, it takes in air... that is the intake stroke. When you push the handle down, that is the compression stroke and where the pressure is developed. Just like with any compressor. They actually work exactly the same in that regard.

I shoot a relatively low powered .177 (Benjamin Fortitude Gen2) and only for pesting, so it is really simple and easy to hand pump. I fill to 3000psi. After about 30 rounds or 3 mags, the pressure is about 2500psi and it only takes me about 30 pumps. Easy peasy...

Not sure what you mean by "HPA pumps work in both direction, its a full body workout."

Hand pumps don't "pump" in both directions. When you pull the handle up, it takes in air... that is the intake stroke. When you push the handle down, that is the compression stroke and where the pressure is developed. Just like with any compressor. They actually work exactly the same in that regard.

I shoot a relatively low powered .177 (Benjamin Fortitude Gen2) and only for pesting, so it is really simple and easy to hand pump. I fill to 3000psi. After about 30 rounds or 3 mags, the pressure is about 2500psi and it only takes me about 30 pumps. Easy peasy...
The up stroke is like you said, but its work to pull it up unlike a bike pump. So it takes effort in both directions

Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1

Not sure what you mean by "HPA pumps work in both direction(s), it's a full body workout."

Hand pumps don't "pump" in both directions. When you pull the handle up, it takes in air... that is the intake stroke. When you push the handle down, that is the compression stroke and where the pressure is developed. Just like with any compressor. They actually work remarkably similarly in that regard.

I shoot a relatively low powered (12-14fpe) .177 (Benjamin Fortitude Gen2) and only for pesting in my backyard, so it is really simple and easy to hand pump. I fill to 3000psi. After about 30 rounds or 3 mags, the pressure is about 2500psi and it only takes me about 30 pumps. Easy peasy... no sweating and the pump doesn't really heat up.

The up stroke is like you said, but its work to pull it up unlike a bike pump. So it takes effort in both directions
If it is hard to pull up then intake air passages are partially clogged up with grease or water and grease residue. It needs taken apart, cleaned and oiled. There's videos on YouTube explaining the process.

As was previously said, if you were having trouble raising the handle of the pump to the degree that it felt even close to the same resistance as the down stroke, then you have/had a defective hand pump. There is a ball check valve that regulates the intake and pressure strokes. If it gets clogged up, then the up stroke will be hard.

When a hand pump is working correctly, the up (intake) stroke has almost no resistance at all.