Hand Pumping PCP?

As the pressure increases the pumping gets progressively more and more difficult...and the volume of the tank size will dictate how much pumping will be required to fill that volume at a given pressure...going to 250 bar in a 250cc tube is one Sam Hill of a lot quicker than to 250 bar in say a 100 cubic foot tank...try it some time and count your strokes going to the same pressure but different volumes....that's why the pump fill hose fills to pressure so quickly...low volume.
You are not wrong, with additional pressure comes harder pumping effort. And, if the pump struggles at higher pumping pressures and bypasses/leaks air, then yes, it will definitely take more pumps. But, it does not matter the volume or the pressure of the tank bring hand pumped. The volume of high pressure air being replaced is going to be the same volume that was used or transferred.

For example, if you start out with a 97 cf tank filled tank to 300 bar, and happen to fill a gun's 65 cc cylinder to 250 bar on 3 occasions, using 50 CC's of air for each fill, the volume of air that is transferred from the 300 bar tank to fill to 250 bar is limited to what the smaller tank requires (50 cc's × 3). The 97 cf tank will still require the same amount of air volume replaced that was transferred to fill the smaller tank to get back up to the original 300 bar pressure. So if 150 cc's we're used total, then only 150 cc's are required to be replaced to achieve 300 bar.

Last edited:
Does this answer your question ? I keep thinking it's going to die every time I use it., but it keeps on working. I have a backup pump thats new , same model.

20230602_154624.jpg

Right on; is it quiet?🤔 digging how compact it is

It's not really quiet but not that loud either. The fans are the loudest , if you could imagine it has a few high power fans. Work s off 12v also , but ive haven't used that option yet. On sale sale it was 180 bucks. I only fill to 250 bar max and leave the fans on for a few minutes after filling. But I haven't hand pumped for over a year now.

It's not really quiet but not that loud either. The fans are the loudest , if you could imagine it has a few high power fans. Work s off 12v also , but ive haven't used that option yet. On sale sale it was 180 bucks. I only fill to 250 bar max and leave the fans on for a few minutes after filling. But I haven't hand pumped for over a year now.
🤔so you can slap it onto a car battery(engine running imguessing)?👀

Reactions: Headshots
I recall reading a post somewhere some time ago by a fellow who would pump up a small buddy bottle during commercial breaks in the evenings during the week. By the weekend, he had a small but full bottle to stuff in his backpack. Intriguing but I guess it depends on your use-case as to whether such a thing is practical. If I'm going out on a hunt, I'm overstocked for air and ammo if I only take shots on game with either of my rifles. If I'm plinking, I'm in the back yard and only a few minutes from being refilled. It never seemed like something I needed to do. For someone who goes to a range, let's face it, few things are sillier than operating a hand pump there. Filling a bottle with a hand pump might be one way to skin the cat on a budget. But I can imagine the first fill from zero will be a hemorrhoid.
I pumped up a 6.8 liter from zero to 4450 psi took a few days though, Kept it topped off for a few weeks kept it at around 4000+ psi but then pump started wearing out an broke I had to get a compressor. I will get the hill pump repaired an Il sell it.

Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
Another interesting thing about the little pumps that will run on 12 V is you can also power them with a rechargeable power tool battery. On a youtube channel called "The Yong Heng Hot Rod Shop" the guy puts a DeWalt 18V battery on a small pump using a device from Amazon that limits the Voltage to 12V. That would be a very portable rig. I don't use DeWalt cordless but have several Milwaukee 18V batteries I could use. I like my Yong Heng and bottle but these smaller pumps are clearly another way to go and they have advantages.