Hand Pumping PCP?

Ok, I have purchased my first PCP and it should come in the mail next week....

I am debating on a compressor vs a hand pump. It's not a rifle I'll be plinking with so much, mainly just field use/small game hunting etc.

I've read a mix of comments on hand pumps. Deep down I don't think I'd need more than a hand pump, but have no idea what to truly expect.

I bought a Caiman in 25 cal. How many pumps would I expect to fill it to proper pressure with a 4 stage hand pump? 100? 50? 200?

I've used a hand pump a fair amount on tires...Not just bicycles.. Probably pumped up 2 dozen tires on a Jeep by hand over 2-3 years. I'm sort of guessing a PCP pump might be comparable?

The pumping is nothing like a tire pump. HPA pumps work in both direction,(mine must be defective as its hard to pull on the upstroke while it fills with air) its a full body workout. The pumping becomes more difficult the higher the pressure. I wouldn't want to try and pump to 300 bar, i only ever went to 200 bar pumps. A hand pump is always a good backup, but its a workout. I use a Yong Heng thats served me well.

If you can swing it, something like that will make you a happier person.

This guy has a lot of content, which I feel is important to what you go with something more bargain price. Its all part of the fun of HPA.

Last edited:
If you have an extra $300-$400 bucks, I GUARANTEE after one or two times you'll want a compressor.
I'm also a newbie of 3 years. I own a few PCP's, all under the $750 price point, two hand pumps, and three compressors... I NEVER use the hand pump anymore because I'm a lazy shooter over 50 years old.
Be prepared to become addicted to PCP air rifles. They are SO much fun !!!!! They definitely make you feel like you're in an action movie using a silencer. Congratulations, my friend. - Mike

Started off using a hand pump on a small PCP, still have a hand pump but it is for BACK UP ONLY 😂...actually have 3! I now have a fill tank and a PCP only electric compressor (not for filling tanks). Really, hand pumps are doable especially if you are in any kind of shape, I only weigh a buck fifty and can easily hand pump to 230 bar, just do it in increments and slow so as not to build up heat which builds up moisture and heat is bad for o'rings.

I got a hand pump when I got my first PCP ( Benjamin Marauder) some 15 years ago. I don't recall how many strokes it took to take it from 1500 to 3000 psi but it was ALLOT. As others have said, it gets harder when you get near the top too. I remember having to let my 200+# frame come down on the pump to finish the stroke. I found it exhausting enough that the rifle sat mostly unused. I loathed filling it. FWIW, I loaned that same pump to a buddy last month who was getting his first PCP. He's a BIG guy that goes to the gym 3X weekly so I figured it might work for him. He brought it back in 2 days and vowed to buy a used SCUBA tank. (which has it's own issues). His rifle is not getting used either.

Today, the options are better than they were 15 years ago. You can buy a Carbon Fiber 4500 psi tank for $400-$800 if you want the easiest/most convenient option. However there are allot of Asian manufacture compressors out there that can be had for less than $300 too.
Based on my experience, the hand pump is an absolute last resort that takes the fun out of PCP.

Last edited:
I started the exact same way. I bought the Benjamin hand pump and small 500 cc tank. I'd fill the gun then the tank....took about 30 minutes or so. Then I got more rifles and what followed was a $350 compressor. It was very LOUD!! But worked much better than hand pump.

Then more guns were collected and I wanted something better to fill multiple tanks...one thing just led to another. Haven't used the hand pump but I'll keep it forever in case something big happens and that's the only thing I can rely on. :)

20230421_182238.jpg

If you are in decent shape and have a decent pump its not too bad. If you plan to shoot more than a fill or two a day virtually everyone will be quick to spend the money on a compressor. I use a Four Uncles brand to pump up my Wildcat tube version which is ~220Bar into a 230cc reservoir. Pumping to 300Bar in your Caiman is going to be a workout.

Reactions: mb94952
I bought a Caiman in 25 cal. How many pumps would I expect to fill it to proper pressure with a 4 stage hand pump? 100? 50? 200?
My Wildcat is about 100 pumps 0-150Bar, and another 70-80 pumps to fill up to 220Bar. A 300Bar Caiman will probably be a couple hundred pumps to go from 0-300Bar.

I would never suggest a hand pump, having gone through two. If you live near a dive shop go there, buy a used tank, and have them fill it. Life is so much more fun, after that!
I'm in the SE part of the State. might be 3 people in the County that have heard the term "dive shop." :)

I hand pump all my PCP...2000psi is easy enough...3000 is a lot harder,anything more than that it is not worth it.
More info: 120 pumps to fill a smaller size tube ...should not let it go down so far....All my PCP have smaller tubes.
Pumping yesterday was thinking ,this is getting old,OK really thinking I am getting too old for this....:confused:
I hate it when I only get 25 shots per 80-120 pumps.That is a reason I love those Target PCPs that can get 50 to 80 shots.
I am thinking it is much wiser to get a compressor than another PCP ,PCPs= compressor and scope add the extra$$$$ and be happy you did.(y)

There's a lot of suggestions to weed through in this thread. Here's my advice as a whole for a new participant in this hobby... "Buy what you can afford." "Buy once, cry once." "Only you can answer these questions, but first through dedicated research."

Most [of us] enthusiast in this hobby start out with 'small' purchases then buy better guns and gear as we evolve. A well thought out plan will limit the amount of "extra" gear collecting dust. That said, with air consumption (and storage) try to first determine your initial needs, and try to imagine where you are going to be with them in the near future. To start, I'd suggest...

Buy a quality but inexpensive four stage hand pump and air filter to start. If you find that you need more air and do want an electric pump then you will have the hand pump as backup in case of power outages.

I have just recently asked the forum about the "best" options for a decent hand pump, (for standby for me in times of power outage). I was given multiple responses from multiple authority on hand pumping. Most suggested getting an affordable Four Uncle's or similar brand of four stage pump off Amazon instead of the "expensive" name-branded pump, and to keep them maintained (clean and oiled) so they work well.

An included purchase with any type of pump is investing in a good air filter to run inline with the air hose and gun cylinder or air tank. They are an essential requirement to prevent moisture and failure.

If you can, I'd suggest buying an affordable and appropriately sized 4,500 psi scba tank (to initially get pumped up at a scuba shop) and add stored air into with the hand pump. You will use this tank to fill the gun from. Hand pumping the tank and using it to fill the gun to optimal pressure will prevent the build up of moisture in the gun's air cylinder and it will keep you with additional backup air when you do not want to run that hand pump.

In the end if you find that you don't like the workout the hand pumps give you, then an electric pump will definitely be your next purchase. And the trusty hand pump will be there in case of emergency. The scba tank will be there still in use to fill the gun. Ultimately, the potentially priceless hand pump won't cost too much just sitting in the corner.

I started with a hand pump 10 years ago. I have 3 PCP airguns and I have no trouble filling any of them. My 1701P is easiest, with a 3000 PSI max fill, less than 20 strokes on the pump to go from 1800 PSI to 2800 PSI. I am rewarded with 50 good shots for the effort. The Marauder (also a 3000 PSI max fill) is tuned to run from 2800 PSI to 2100 PSI. ~50 strokes on the pump for 30 hard hitting shots. My Dreamline is a little harder to fill to max pressure (3300 PSI) and being a bit more intricate internally than the others (it's regulated) I fill it in two shorter pumping sessions, venting the line and letting the pump cool down in between. So I do a session of 40 strokes, vent and take 5, then another 20 to top it off at 3300 PSI. For that effort, I get 66+ shots.
I always intended to get an SCBA tank at some point. Figured I'd be there by now, but a hand pump is economical if you're physically able. I am purposely slow when I am shooting, so taking a few minutes to refill a gun with a pump is no big deal to me. I get it that some prefer a quicker fill with less effort, but you'll pay for the convenience. Dearly. I've put that money other places.