Hand pumping a pcp

My first pcp was a Disco which wasn't too bad to hand pump but it wasn't long after that owning more demanding pressure on other pcp's I decided to get an SCBA tank to get refills at a local dive shop, when the dive shop closed down I bought an F10 Shobox and simply love it for topping off 3 different SCBA tanks that I now own. I'd be lost without that compressor, if I had to buy one now I'd probably go for the Xisico GX3 which is a good compressor for topping off guns only. If I was a young person I might even invest in a Bauer, they're on the pricey range but are something that would last a person a very long time.

I purchased my first PCP when I was 81 and a cheap Chinese hand pump. I only weigh 155 lbs, I could not do it. Got a YH and am happy as a clam. It only takes 30 seconds to pump 2000 to 3250 on the Gamo Urban and just over 1-1:30 minutes for the Talon SS. This is a great forum, Wish I had found it sooner.

Pump shmump.

I've had my .22 caliber AVA for a couple of weeks now and will now order a Yong Heng. I'm 67, still relatively strong, weigh in at 200 and have to practically come of my feet with my stomach against the handpump when approaching 3000 psi. Not good for a person who has had three umbilical hernia repairs and a bum shoulder. 

Just my 2 cents with some Naproxen.

Ponz

I find it funny when you read manufacturers stating their rifles are hand pump friendly on a 3000+ psi fill. Even a small diana stormrider will fight you to get that last few hundred psi !

Right! Never mind reaching 4000 or the max of 4300 psi. I also have two cardiac stents!

Ponz

Especially for my Avenger getting the YH was a big deal. I could and did pump it but it took hundreds of pumps and was not what I consider fun. I agree that weight matters, at higher pressures I applied a lot of my 185 lbs to the pump. Instead, I could run the YH for less than 2 minutes and have it as high as I wanted. But it was noisy. The YH is also not very portable so if I wanted to go the gun range I either had to limit my shots or bring a hand pump. So I got a used SCBA tank, 45 minute, for less than $100. I first bought an inexpensive chinese fill set but it leaked severely so I more than doubled my expenditure and got a good one. Now I fill in near total silence in a few seconds. Once a month or so I have to let the YH pump up the tank. That is a noisy 15 minutes or so but I do not do it often.

To me getting a hand pump is step one. It doesn't add much to the cost of the gun and with it you can shoot. Even if you upgrade later the hand pump is handy to have sometimes. Not everybody will proceed further but I think most will. You can either just get a pump that runs on 12V so you can use it at the range or a YH or other big compressor that will fill a gun or a SCBA tank. Some probably get both. But I am quite happy with my hand pumps, YH, and SCBA tank. If I get something else it will probably be a small 4500 psi tank (like 100 cubic inches) that is easy to transport and less than 15 years old so it can be commercially filled. It might cost as much as a 12V compressor, however, but it won't be noisy like one.

Reactions: maxtrouble
Hand pumping is doable, even on a 4500 psi big bottle gun. But you'll probably be wasting less ammo by making your shots count.

Personally, I'd rather get that extra exercise by taking more walks out to the targets on the range. But I keep 2 hand pumps as backup in case my Omega Trail Charger breaks, or the power goes out, or SHTF, etc.

I have an Air Venturi pump that I used when I first got into PCPs. Then I started adding guns to the collection. Still bought a Hill MK-3 just to be sure I never run into a situation where I can't "reload".

You can sure get a lot more shooting done in an afternoon using a powered pump though.

Been doing the PCP thang since 2016. I have 5 PCPs currently with one inbound to make it 6. Been pumping this whole time. It's not what I would say "fun" but neither is loading magazines or washing and lubing pellets or tuning a gun to shoot every type of pellet/slug 0.00001 MOA at 1000 yards.

I just consider pumping the guns a part of the process and try to break it up along with the fun part.... Shooting.

If I ever hit the lottery I'll buy an Alkin and at least two tanks. 😆👊🏼😎

Well I am only two weeks in on my first pcp. @130#, its take very good technique to hand pump. If I do it wrong, I tip over. No whiteness, never happened.
I haven’t counted the pumps from 150 to 200 BAR, but it sure seems like a lot.

I will likely have buy a compressor some time next year. That will open me up to another pcp! That is as long as I can build enough positive points with my controller.

Reactions: reteP
Well I am only two weeks in on my first pcp. @130#, its take very good technique to hand pump. If I do it wrong, I tip over. No whiteness, never happened.
I haven’t counted the pumps from 150 to 200 BAR, but it sure seems like a lot.

I will likely have buy a compressor some time next year. That will open me up to another pcp! That is as long as I can build enough positive points with my controller.
Yes, a person has to be heavy enough to compress the pump. I have some kids are are plenty strong enough but don't weigh enough to compress it. They just hang there and laugh 😆

Reactions: Struckat
Especially for my Avenger getting the YH was a big deal. I could and did pump it but it took hundreds of pumps and was not what I consider fun. I agree that weight matters, at higher pressures I applied a lot of my 185 lbs to the pump. Instead, I could run the YH for less than 2 minutes and have it as high as I wanted. But it was noisy. The YH is also not very portable so if I wanted to go the gun range I either had to limit my shots or bring a hand pump. So I got a used SCBA tank, 45 minute, for less than $100. I first bought an inexpensive chinese fill set but it leaked severely so I more than doubled my expenditure and got a good one. Now I fill in near total silence in a few seconds. Once a month or so I have to let the YH pump up the tank. That is a noisy 15 minutes or so but I do not do it often.

To me getting a hand pump is step one. It doesn't add much to the cost of the gun and with it you can shoot. Even if you upgrade later the hand pump is handy to have sometimes. Not everybody will proceed further but I think most will. You can either just get a pump that runs on 12V so you can use it at the range or a YH or other big compressor that will fill a gun or a SCBA tank. Some probably get both. But I am quite happy with my hand pumps, YH, and SCBA tank. If I get something else it will probably be a small 4500 psi tank (like 100 cubic inches) that is easy to transport and less than 15 years old so it can be commercially filled. It might cost as much as a 12V compressor, however, but it won't be noisy like one.
Heya Jim,

Mind if I ask which YH model you chose (there seem to be a few options) and what size scba you bought (and from where)?

I'm happy to continue using a hand pump to fill my two PCP rifles and I have no plans to get a compressor or an SCBA tank any time soon. Part of my tuning regimen is to determine when to refill such that I can do it with a single 50 to 60 stroke pumping session. This keeps the breaks for pumping short, which (at least in my experience over 8 years) keeps the wear and tear on the pump down and me shooting.
If you are not counting how many pumps it takes to reach your desired fill pressure, you're probably also not bleeding the pressure to blow out condensed moisture from the pump every 50-60 strokes. But if you can refill in 50-60 strokes, you don't need to worry about it. That's my approach and so far it hasn't been a burden or a dark cloud hanging over my trigger time.
Full disclosure: both guns are .177, chosen in part because the caliber generally enjoys a decent shot count to pump effort ratio.