Hand pumping a pcp

Me..with feet on the pump base/stand, I pull the pump handle up to my belt-line. At this point my elbows are slightly bent. I then relax my legs and let my weight drive the pump down..to about a half-squat position..then stand back up. Repeat. My arms remain "locked" and don't move at all. There's really not a lot of work to it..
That's exactly the same way I did it. It works and is probably the most effective way to hand pump up to the higher pressures. Nevertheless you still have to effectively lift your body weight by straightening your legs, similar to climbing stairs. Consider each hand pump stroke the same as climbing a step or two. A 50 pump fill is like climbing 4-5 stories. I just never cared for it; would rather walk back and forth to 50/100 yards and change targets.

Try hand pumping a empty 580cc tank and tell me it isn’t difficult
Well I’ve never tried a 580cc tank..but I’ll guess it may be easier than a GC Rim2Rim in 14 hours. 😉 Plenty in the 220-300cc range, though. If I start shooting more I’ll probably make the switch to the “darkside” and get a GK compressor..and yes, I am a frugal chump 😩

15 years ago I handpumped 1000cc(2x500cc) for this .25cal Theoben Rapid. It was in the days when I could at anytime of the clock take 130-150 push-ups several times . Today I am very happy I only have a Daystate that has a 162cc volume to handpump. Aircompressors have come to stay....I will get one too.

Wj9vExuh.jpg

OK, putting this into perspective. I am a fairly healthy late 50's guy. I use an exercise bike about a 1/2 hour a day. I breakout in a decent sweat doing 125-150 watts output on the bike. Now look at a Yong Heng unit. It's nameplate rated for 1,800 watts INPUT from a wall receptacle. The motor is about 50% efficient so a YH pump compressor is seeing about 900 watts of work input at the crankshaft.

That's 5-6 times what an average human can do over an extended period.

Another thing to be mindful of is the reciprocating nature of the work input into a HPA compressing cycle. A turbine compressor is smooth running but requires insane RPM's for much less pressure boost. A turbofan aircraft engine compressor operates at 30,000 RPM +/- and only approximately doubles the air pressure entering the combustion chamber. For filling our airguns/tanks we need to increase it by 200 TIMES intake pressure, nevermind the 4,500 PSI stuff.

It's kind of fun to think about human powered machines for our hobby. The rowing machine idea is intriguing since it would utilize our stronger back and leg muscles and you can do it sitting/reclining while watching TV.