Hand pumping a pcp

Yep, I hand pump my Marauder. No compressor and no big deal.
When I got my 22 Mrod I hand pumped it from about 1500 to 3000 about 4 times. At that point I said fornicate this, I'm getting a tank. Got the tank followed by the inevitable YH. I'm a fairly healthy 57 Y.O. but prefer my airgun exercise walking back and forth to the target..

Still will not get rid of the pump, never know..

Reactions: Struckat
Hand pumps are so uncivilized…..
Thanks for the laugh! ;)
(y)

I am not a young man (62), but hand pumping a PCP is not a problem. It all depends on how low you are willing to let the gun get to before you pump it back up.

For me, not everyone is like me, I am happy shooting about 30+ shots with my .177 Fortitude before pumping it back up. I *could* shoot twice that amount or more before pumping back up, but as I have said before, by pumping up after about 30 shots, the pump doesn't get hot and I don't break out in a sweat.

To each their own. Not everyone shoots the way I do, but not everyone really needs a compressor. In a lot of cases, IMHO, I think folks buy a compressor because they read that they really NEED one. Then, it is hard to admit that the hand pump would have done just as well after all. :cool:

Last edited:
Hell with hand pumps after pumping a few 500cc tanks that was enough for me, the price of a decent hand pump is not much less than a compressor, I paid $215 for a yung heng clone from eBay shipped to my door, I can see having a hand pump for out in the field situation, my hand pump hasn’t been used for almost 2yrs now..
I have 2 cheap Chinese hand pumps. Neither one cost me more than ~$60...

Neither one has cost me anything in maintenance going on 3 years now.

Today China pumps are one of the biggest bang fort the buck for PCP shooters.

Look, if you are one of those guys that need to take 500 shoots at targets a day a Handpump would definitely be a drag, but if you target shooting occasionally and just check your zero before hunts and zero guns after you change scopes Hanpumps work phenomenally.

Like my man above said, is just how many shots you take in a row before topping up again,......and I repeat this for the millions time, it does not matter how big the bottle or tube is in your gun all it matters is how many shots you take before topping up,

if you take 30 shots with a gun that has a 160cc airtube and you take 30 shot with a gun that has a 700cc bottle it would take the same pumps to get back to full,........again, reservoir size has nothing to do with how handpump friendly a gun is.

Reactions: BackStop

Look, if you are one of those guys that need to take 500 shoots at targets a day a Handpump would definitely be a drag, but if you target shooting occasionally and just check your zero before hunts and zero guns after you change scopes Hanpumps work phenomenally.

Like my man above said, is just how many shots you take in a row before topping up again,......and I repeat this for the millions time, it does not matter how big the bottle or tube is in your gun all it matters is how many shots you take before topping up,

if you take 30 shots with a gun that has a 160cc airtube and you take 30 shot with a gun that has a 700cc bottle it would take the same pumps to get back to full,........again, reservoir size has nothing to do with how handpump friendly a gun is.
Once it is pumped up, the rest is up to you on how low you are willing to let it go before refilling. If you want to shoot long sessions and LOTS of shots before refilling, then a compressor may be the answer.

In my case, I can shoot ~30 shots and pump ~30 times with a hand pump to get back to 3000psi on the .177 Fortitude and that works quite well for me and my needs.

BTW, I never shoot more than 1-3 shots unless I am zeroing in a scope or diagnosing a problem. Once the gun is sighted, all I do is kill pests.

Of course, not everyone shoots like I do with the gun and caliber I shoot for pesting. To each their own. (y):)

For now, I don't need a compressor and as long as I don't *need* a compressor and am physically able, I'll stick with my hand pumps. ;)

Last edited:
Just curious for the guys that say hand pumping it "difficult"..how exactly are you pumping..with your arms or with your legs?

Me..with feet on the pump base/stand, I pull the pump handle up to my belt-line. At this point my elbows are slightly bent. I then relax my legs and let my weight drive the pump down..to about a half-squat position..then stand back up. Repeat. My arms remain "locked" and don't move at all. There's really not a lot of work to it..

That said, I have a guppy bottle I fill at a friends place to use when it's humid or I'm in a hurry.

Reactions: BackStop
I have 2 cheap Chinese hand pumps. Neither one cost me more than ~$60...

Neither one has cost me anything in maintenance going on 3 years now.
That’s your choice, not mine, if you get pleasure from pumping that hand pump 500 times to fill up on a hot summer day knock yourself out, I choose to flip the switch on the compressor and drink a beer while I watch it fill up 😀

Reactions: tnx206
That’s your choice, not mine, if you get pleasure from pumping that hand pump 500 times to fill up on a hot summer day knock yourself out, I choose to flip the switch on the compressor and drink a beer while I watch it fill up 😀
You missed my point entirely. If you are shooting that much in a single session, then by all means a compressor makes sense.

Also, you missed where I said that I never fill my airgun outdoors. I always fill inside where the a/c keeps the humidity level in check and I have hygrometers all over the house, so I know when the moisture level is low or high inside. That comes from my other passion, cigars.

In my case, if you will be so kind as to read what I have written, I don't need one (a compressor). Simple as that. If your circumstances warrant one and you can afford/rationalize the cost then, by all means, you SHOULD have one.

I simply don't need a compressor. I have learned to do without a lot of things and find that I really never missed any of them in the long run.

To each their own.

Last edited:
Just curious for the guys that say hand pumping it "difficult"..how exactly are you pumping..with your arms or with your legs?

Me..with feet on the pump base/stand, I pull the pump handle up to my belt-line. At this point my elbows are slightly bent. I then relax my legs and let my weight drive the pump down..to about a half-squat position..then stand back up. Repeat. My arms remain "locked" and don't move at all. There's really not a lot of work to it..

That said, I have a guppy bottle I fill at a friends place to use when it's humid or I'm in a hurry.
Technique does make a difference! Just like the old saying "lift with your legs, not your back".

You seem to understand the best technique for using a hand pump. My guess is there are a lot of folks who always do things the hard or expen$ive way, no matter what. :rolleyes:(y)

You missed my point entirely. If you are shooting that much in a single session, then by all means a compressor makes sense.

Also, you missed where I said that I never fill my airgun outdoors. I always fill inside where the a/c keeps the humidity level in check and I have hygrometers all over the house, so I know when the moisture level is low or high inside. That comes from my other passion, cigars.

In my case, if you will be so kind as to read what I have written, I don't need one (a compressor). Simple as that. If your circumstances warrant one and you can afford/rationalize the cost then, by all means, you SHOULD have one.

I simply don't need a compressor. I have learned to do without a lot of things and find that I really never missed any of them in the long run.

To each their own.
Pumps are for chumps 😀

• Haha
Reactions: tnx206

Try hand pumping a empty 580cc tank and tell me it isn’t difficult

Try hand pumping a empty 580cc tank and tell me it isn’t difficult
Once filled, it is no more difficult to pump back up with a hand pump than any other tank. It all depends on how many shots you *need* to take and how low you drop the pressure before topping it up.

You seem to have not read this thread in its entirety, so I see no purpose in re-posting what has already been said. :rolleyes:

Once filled, it is no more difficult to pump back up with a hand pump than any other tank. It all depends on how many shots you *need* to take and how low you drop the pressure before topping it up.

You seem to have not read this thread in its entirety, so I see no purpose in re-posting what has already been said. :rolleyes:
And your missing the point also, who in there right mind likes to use a hand pump? Again, pumps are for chumps 😀