Hand pump vs compressor

This question comes up a lot and I’m always blown away by the responses. I get difficult is totally subjective. However, I am like 5’10” 185 lbs and pump both of my avengers to 37-3800 psi regularly and in my opinion it isn’t bad at all. Filling from zero to 3800 sucks but when only pumping from day 2500 to 3800 it isn’t bad. It just isn’t. 

Reactions: jmohme
Sooner or later you will have to empty your gun.

And a handpump will not have enough volume of air for you to refill the gun. It takes a lot of air to close a valve. So you will need to find someone with a bottle or compressor to fill it for you.

Not true.

I did it twice with a Brocock Compatto. So yes very true.

And a handpump will not have enough volume of air for you to refill the gun. It takes a lot of air to close a valve. So you will need to find someone with a bottle or compressor to fill it for you.

Not true.

Not true 100% of the time I think is what they were going after. I have pumped both of my avengers up from completely empty more than once and they were no problems. The valve/poppet was sealed even with zero pressure. My dar gen2 was a different story. Just depends on the gun. 

Not true.

Well,......because you did it a couple times with one gun you cannot make a blanket statement that is UNTRUE.

This is the kind of missinformation is what needs to be debunked immediately otherwise it gets repeted and picked up and eventually people will believe it even if in reality it's ......NOT TRUE.

Filled from empty very many different guns from many different manufacturers,...yet to find one I could not fill with a Handpump.

Still getting myself setup overall with my first pcp and initially I thought I'd try a hand pump, heck I've hand pumped even car tires up (and regularly bike tires), so why not try it and save the $ while am at it. Got a Four Uncles model (3 stage), price was cheap and the Hills weren't available. It failed to pass the leak test on just tightening stuff down and still even with teflon tape on the threads, last convo I had with the sales team for Four Uncles they thought maybe the ball/seal at the top of the pump but I haven't taken it apart to that extent yet, while the gun was still in transit decided to cover butt and got a Yong Heng compressor on the way. Had to hunt down the hydraulic oil for it, but it worked great on the first try. Think I'll be returning the hand pump but still have some time, maybe I'll see about a full overhaul as it wouldn't be bad to have a manual fill system when away from power.....but maybe I'll just get a tank for portable use. Tank wasn't a first option as nearest fill would be a healthy drive

Definitely return it if it was like that out of the box. Just go on eBay or Amazon and get one of the 54 dollar China pumps. They are pretty solid and will make a good back up. They are super easy to work on. In the final compression chamber at the end of the rod that you ultimately pump up and down to compress the air are a small o ring and another o ring appearing thing that is made out of Teflon or polymer like material. These are generally all that go bad in these pumps and the rebuild kits are readily available on eBay. 

My 50 bucks China pump still looks pristine after 3 years of use, all my HILLS by now would have developed severe pitting on the main tube and would have needed at least 3-4 rebuilds and kits used to be 38 bucks plus shipping ( so just about the same price of one China pump )

I only had to replace the same O-ring twice in 3 years and that was the check valve O-ring, the one at the bottom, you don't even need to open up the pump just take the bottom block off, one screw the check valve and spring come out,....literally a 2 minute job.

Pretty impressive for a 50 bucks pump, phenomenal value for the money indeed.

I actually got a hand pump before I got a PCP. My kids gifted me a Benjamin pump when I retired. So naturally I felt obligated to get a PCP, I bought a Marauder Pistol first. I still enjoy it. It only stores 66cc of air so pumping it back up doesn't take long. Pressure limit is 3000 and with stock tune you don't really want to fill to 3000. Then I bought an Avenger. 180cc with a 300 bar limit. Benjamin pump only goes to 3000, about 200 bar. So I bought a cheap hand pump off Amazon. It would pump the Avenger all the way up and it was doable for me (6'2" and 185) but I did not consider it fun. So I bought a YH and then a used SCBA tank. I like filling from the tank a LOT more than filling from the hand pump. But I still have both hand pumps. Filling from the YH works fine but it is noisy. Running the YH for 15 or 20 minutes to pump the SCBA tank back up isn't fun but is not a workout. I only do that about once a month. Gun fills are then almost silent and exertion free.

I see nothing wrong with hand pumping forever if you don't mind a little exercise and you'd rather spend the money on more guns and/or pellets. I got laughed at a bit when I brought my hand pump and Prod to a fun shoot but the guys also offered their bottles to fill my little gun. The hand pump is the most portable fill option although a tank can be pretty close in size and weight. If I go to the range I take the tank. If I go hunting, I probably won't need more air and would take the hand pump at most.

I got my feet wet in the world of PCPs with an Umarex Origin. It came with a hand pump and I used it exclusively to pump it up to 3625 psi.
Next I got an Airforce Talon P and used the same hand pump to fill the 213cc tank on it to 3000 psi. Later I got a Mad Dog stock and a 330 cc tank.
I hand pumped it a couple of times before buying a compressor.

Pressure is not the biggest deal. Volume is. Larger bottles take a lot of strokes to fill.

Reactions: Hoffman9517
Is this still a debate? I would personally say it's all about volume. Anything 250cc and under I'd say go for. I hand pump a 212cc or so rex 357 too 3500 no problem with the right technique. Same with my leshiy classic to 4000psi with a what 60cc reservoir? I weight 165 qnd the hardest part is worrying about snapping the plastic feet on my hill pump on a unbalanced down stroke.