Hand pump vs compressor

@AirArcher66 you are probably the exception & not the rule. Sure, it CAN be done & glad you can do it but when it comes down to amount of time enjoying shooting vs time & labor spent pumping, a full tank of air wins hands down every time! If others don't agree they can chime in. It's great to be air independent either way but a tank & compressor, even a cheap one, gets MY vote.

I guess if you could con AIRARCHER66 to keep hand pumping non stop while you shoot then that would then be considered tethered to the pump, ha ha. I’ve seen him pump his PCP’s and he does it with authority that’s for sure

For my first year I was hand pumping airforce guns. It was exhausting and I definitely thought twice about shooting one more than one occasion due to the necessity to top it off when finished (my personal rule), but I enjoyed knowing that every shot was energy I myself had transferred to the gun. A nice feeling but I started experiencing wear on my wrist joints - repetitive stress injuries or pulls or whatever. Felt like I had to back off because I was shooting every single day, and worried about long term injury. so I got a compressor and it has also been great. 

A new cheap compressor every year is still cheaper than a bottle and paying for fills. Well worth it.

Great point,

I have a Nomad II, I hardly ever use it ( only to make sure once in awhile that its not rusted and seized :) LOL )

I find using the pump is just as fast and easier then getting the compressor out da bag and connect everything :)

I have a Hill pump, been using it for years with no problems,3x more than $50 though.

For sure I think you would do more shooting when using a compressor.

Again a small volume air tube under 3000psi is not bad and you do not let it get down to 1800psi.

Another great thing about using a handpump is you will not buy so many expensive air guns; you will be thinking about buying a good compressor first then buying expensive PCPs.,LOL.

Here are my two cents. I have an Avenger and a $50 Amazon hand pump. I'm 32, I don't work a desk job, and I'm about 190 lbs and 6'1”. The first time I pumped it up, I slightly overfilled the gun and it was never "too hard". Now, that being said, it isn't "easy" but it works just fine. That being said, I am looking into other fill options as I am wanting more guns and to do more tuning.

I pumped for 6 years before getting a tank and compressor. 3000-3600 psi. Did not bother me to much. Im a pretty strong dude at 215 give or take. I have seen smaller fellas struggle pumping. My wife can lift herself right off the ground when having at it. Honestly I beat the hell out of my air pumps and if one were were to watch me you would think it was just a regular tire pump. Now pumping to 4000 psi gets old but I have little issues with that as well. Im honestly more concerned with overheating the pump. Some of us have little to no issues with a hand pump and others will. As for that strange squatting motion shown in videos as how to properly pump. I just dont get it. Seems far to awkward for some reason. I just pump it like its a regular ol tire pump. In the end a compressor and/or tank is the way to go. It will save you a ton of time. you could actually spend more time pumping then shooting if using a hand pump. I still pump my smaller airguns ( Leshiy and Ocelot ) when I go out and save the tank of air for the larger ones. If the tank runs out I just hand pump them. Its also good to have a hand pump on hand just in case you have any issues with your compressor or your tank is out of air and cannot just run out and get it filled up.

I pumped for 6 years before getting a tank and compressor. 3000-3600 psi. Did not bother me to much. Im a pretty strong dude at 215 give or take. I have seen smaller fellas struggle pumping. My wife can lift herself right off the ground when having at it. Honestly I beat the hell out of my air pumps and if one were were to watch me you would think it was just a regular tire pump. Now pumping to 4000 psi gets old but I have little issues with that as well. Im honestly more concerned with overheating the pump. Some of us have little to no issues with a hand pump and others will. As for that strange squatting motion shown in videos as how to properly pump. I just dont get it. Seems far to awkward for some reason. I just pump it like its a regular ol tire pump. In the end a compressor and/or tank is the way to go. It will save you a ton of time. you could actually spend more time pumping then shooting if using a hand pump. I still pump my smaller airguns ( Leshiy and Ocelot ) when I go out and save the tank of air for the larger ones. If the tank runs out I just hand pump them. Its also good to have a hand pump on hand just in case you have any issues with your compressor or your tank is out of air and cannot just run out and get it filled up.

Hahaha I've been always wandering if I was just doing it wrong and if anyone else did it like I do :) ...glad to hear you out.

I'm sure the technique shown is the right one but I also just use them like a bike pump and I'm only 145-150 pounds, for me the right technique is just to tedious I want to get on with it :)

also I used to rotate 3 pumps, doing 20-30 strokes per pump that way they never get hot and you just can keep going.

Its not much fun trying to tune a air rifle filling with a hand pump! So you may want to consider that when buying a PCP. The Benjamin craftsman line shoots great out of the box & has a decent shot count. I have a Benjamin Cayden that really is just a matter of finding the right ammo it likes & shoot.

I hand pumped for the longest time! But when I bought a Condor SS I finally sprung for a YH compressor. With that said, after tuning the SS for 33.5gr KO slugs, my fill pressure is only 2400 psi to generate 940FPS. So, I still use a hand pump from time to time.

Reactions: moodyblues