Hand pump vs compressor

Filling to 2000 not too difficult. Filling to 3000psi is difficult and I doubt you will want to tackle anything past that even if your pump says it will do it.

The Yong Heng compressor is not all that much more expensive than a good hand pump and is about the best compressor around under $1500. It's around $300.

Made in China as are all of the inexpensive pumps and most of the middle of the road price units as well so it's something you will have to deal with.

Yong Heng info;

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/a-dedicated-yong-heng-subforum/#post-1127767

Reactions: Pistonjohn
Depends on size of airgun tank. The smaller air cylinders can be filled with hand pump. Not too enjoyable, but can be done. Especially pcp pistol tanks or small tanks like Avenger. Once you get to about 3000psi, however, it gets very tiresome pumping. But I've found that I can operate down at 3000 psi with fewer shots. In the end you’ll probably opt for a compressor or scba tank.

I find that getting to 3500 psi with a hand pump is a work out and a pain....3000psi is not hard... that extra 500psi will have you thinking of getting a compressor.

I would try to get an air gun that takes under 3000psi to fill if you are going to use a hand pump and that is not hard to do.

I have a compressor and only used it a couple of times.A good hand pump works for me filling up to 3000psi...

Win win situation, for 50 bucks you can buy excellent handpumps that will fill your guns for years,

Win Win because you will shoot for free after the initial investment and you will get a good exercise too ( that most people frankly need in today's society ) ......and no, filling to 3500 psi is not that hard, it's all about tecnique.

Are you near a dive shop that can fill to 4500psi? If so, get a tank! I've never had a pump, went straight to tanks & after a while got a YH compressor to fill them. I can't see that pumping would ADD to the ease & enjoyment of shooting! But then, that's just me. BTW, the terminology gets confused here. A TANK is a Scuba or SCBA. What's on your gun is a BOTTLE, AIR TUBE or RESERVOIR

size will matter most, most 3500 fill guns ive seen have bottles or large tanks and filling any large tank with a handpump isnt fun ... you could do it yeah, but you wont be doing it much ... small tube type tanks arnt so bad, 15, 20 strokes and your done .. big tank or bottle youll feel like you ran a marathon when its done and at the very least will want to take a break before shooting again, more likely after filling it a couple of times youll start looking at shooting the tank down as a bad idea lol ...time to quit ..

Confusing, huh? All responses are valid. You never stated your age or physical capabilities & that SHOULD play a role in your decision. My compressor has already "paid for itself" in the almost 2 years I've had it. Even though money is tight here & I labor over every airgun related purchase (or rather my WIFE does) I'm convinced I went the correct route. The money saved on air, wear & tear & gas for my car has been worth it. As a side note, I do everything I can to baby my Yong Heng to get the most out of it. Biohazardman's "bible" of care for the YH is a must read if you go that route! Good luck & good shooting. 

Gerry 

I've easily gone thru at least 15,000 pellets and slugs pumping 2 hand pumps. No sweat involved... lol

https://youtube.com/shorts/7kUmyrjdyzw?feature=share

It really depends on how many pellets you plan to go thru as it may take a little while to get things pumped up. From what I understand it will take over 180 lbs to push down on the handles of one pump when it gets over 3000 psi💪 . But I don't think about that as I go all the way to 300 bar. 

And ever sine I went to 700cc tanks It seems to take forever to fill so I may make the change soon to a regular compressor.

Allen

I can almost guarantee that pumpers don’t shoot as much as tank or compressor users. I mean, how excited can you be towards a two hour shooting session at targets knowing after 40 or less shots you’ll be pumping all over again. 

But, on the other hand it is great physical exercise and kudos to the die hard pumpers. The one advantage the pumpers have is being able to head out into the woods armed with a pump as the air supply, and they don’t need to be frugal with their shots like the guy who has his SCBA tank back in his truck

Along with physical abilities consider shooting frequency and use. 

At 152 lbs I stopped pumping at 3700 psi filling a bottled Leshiy 2. I could have gone further however my compromised neck and shoulders were protesting. Recommend a well cooled Yong Heng which will fill the same gun from empty to 3000 bar in two and a third minutes. Have a hand pump or two as a backup.

Where the hand pump really shines is for lower volume and lower pressure guns. I go through a mag or two a day popping starlings and squirrels with my Prod bullpup and top it off every evening. The only time I bother with the compressor is if I have a limited neurological budget, am shooting more than three mags per day or have the Edguns out also.

Not sure if it was here or at GTA. If you're looking for a hand pump recommendation there's a thread in the last month that mentions the GX H-4 available on Amazon. I bought one. So far its my favorite. Hope my experience is helpful.

@AirArcher66 you are probably the exception & not the rule. Sure, it CAN be done & glad you can do it but when it comes down to amount of time enjoying shooting vs time & labor spent pumping, a full tank of air wins hands down every time! If others don't agree they can chime in. It's great to be air independent either way but a tank & compressor, even a cheap one, gets MY vote.