Hand pump moisture

I have a Hill hand pump and it has a moisture trap,butt sometime when I pull the pump line off after filling air gun I feel moisture coming from the fill line.

The Hill moisture trap is dry.....so my question is the moisture coming from some condensation from the air gun tube?

I am thinking even if clean dry air goes into the air gun "tube" the air can still become damp because of the difference in temperature from pump and air gun ....it does concern me.

It has been said not to let your hand pump get "hot" because of the seals,now I am thinking the hot,warm air from pump going into colder air gun "tube is even a bigger problem!

What do you guys think ?....Thank you for your thoughts..

ps,I guess this is not a problem with fill bottles or compressors 

Mod Edit: Moved to Air Tanks, Pumps, Compressors and Filters forum

The moisture filter on the hill is pretty useless. It helps very little to filter out moisture cause it's on the intake side. Heat from the pump build up moisture. If you ever take your hand pump apart, you will see there are droplets of water inside the tube. All handpump and compressor will create moisture. To battle this, you need a filter in the output side. Right before it goes into your gun. 

Get yourself one of these. It helps.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Pressure-Air-Filter-Compressor-Oil-Water-Separators-40MPa-8-Female-Male-New/283399840296?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item41fbf26228:g:Ng0AAOSwsqddW5rq

1569692533_13198861315d8f9b7515a759.11152592_s-l400.jpg

"Heat from the pump build up moisture."
1f632.svg

I guess someone doesn't know about condensation. When you pump the handpump heats up. Touch it. It will be warm. As it cools down the water vapors condenses and created droplets of water. Put all the best filters in the intake line and you will still always have water coming from the output.

Heat, has nothing to do with creating moisture. Warm air is able to carry more water than cool air in the form of atmospheric humidity. there will always be some humidity in the atmosphere, even in the desert. When you compress that atmosphere, the water is squeezed out of the mix like ringing out a sponge because the water content can't be compressed. Hand pumps are notorious for causing damage to airguns because of their lack of filtration on the high-pressure side. A good high side filter will probably be effective in trapping 99% of the moisture but ad a lot of extra pumping to the equation and nobody wants that. I started with a hand pump like most people and I used to have fill valve leakage issues regularly. Since updating to a compressor, filter and tank a few years ago, I haven't had a problem.

So basically this is not doing anything “ extra” , beneficial ? Why would they not put it on the fill side instead of the intake side from the factory. There was supposed to be a picture attached here, from the hand pump post in the general section. He has a long hose with those dissacant balls in it. If any body seen it, that is not really doing anything, is my question. And now it sounds like that little filter shown above is not “ enough” also ? What then would be the “ best “ way to assure you have dry air from a hand pump ? 
3610b444-c0c1-4240-905c-9d195e01f6b8

So basically this is not doing anything “ extra” , beneficial ? Why would they not put it on the fill side instead of the intake side from the factory.

I didn't say that it is not beneficial. I said is better on the high side. I assume that it is put on the low side because it doesn't need to withstand high pressure and it doesn't add to the number of pumps per fill. A lot of the new Chinese pumps that are available now have a small filter on the high side but are probably too small to make much difference.

Compressing air is just like squeezing a piece of wet sponge. Water comes out. Whether you do it by compressor or hand pump doesn't matter, the result is the same. It is not caused by temperature difference but just the compression action. 

What you should be aiming at is to minimize ( ie, not remove completely ) the amount of liquid water going into the air tube of the gun. I would suggest using a big jar of silica gel connected to the intake of the pump via a hose and a small tampon-type filter at the outlet. The silica gel makes the air going into the pump drier so less water will be squeezed out at the outlet. The water is then absorbed by the tampon filter before going into the gun. The small bottle of desiccants that came with the Hill pump is not very effective I am afraid. The tampon filter at the outlet should be small or you will have a hard time pressurizing it. The filter element should be replaced after it gets wet but can be reused after it drys up. 

Cool, so the small picture ( gold) of the filter above in this post IS a good idea it sounds like. Is it enough, or would two be better ? I don’t think that would make pumping harder, would it ?

One should be very sufficient as the amount of water produced in one fill is quite small. You can replace the filter element after every fill instead of using two filters because doing so will increase the number of strokes to get to the desired pressure. The force required is not affected, just the number of strokes.

Cool, so the small picture ( gold) of the filter above in this post IS a good idea it sounds like. Is it enough, or would two be better ? I don’t think that would make pumping harder, would it ?

One should be very sufficient as the amount of water produced in one fill is quite small. You can replace the filter element after every fill instead of using two filters because doing so will increase the number of strokes to get to the desired pressure. The force required is not affected, just the number of strokes.

Cool, thank you !

I have one of the gold .moisture filters shown above. However, I am having a hard time getting any pressurized air through it. In short, it leaks. I have taken it apart and verified that the O rings are present and are in good shape. I have also determined that the problem isn't my pump or the fill probe. Any idea of how to fix the leak? I'm missing valuable shooting time!!! BTW, this is the second item I've gotten. Neither works. Is there any other reliable company that makes inline moisture filters? Seems STUPID to have to buy a whole new hand pump just to get an integrated system.

I wanna shoot!

Thanks.