• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Hand pump friendly pcp

In addition to what everyone above says, I would look at your budget - a pcp with a pump may end up being more than a springer (depending upon what equipment you are choosing). 

Personally I was in the same boat as you a while back and decided to go with a pcp for a number of reasons (quietness, easier for cocking, power, etc). After looking around I ended up getting a .25 Taipan Veteran Long with a Hill Mk4 hand pump (took a lot of convincing with the wife - so decided to go whole hog when she finally agreed). I use the thing to pest for rabbits, squirrels, and groundhogs from 15-80 yards.

Hand pumping isn’t so bad - it isn’t great, but I just do it (I’m 37 and 6’2” and in reasonable shape). For hand pumping I found the easiest way to do it (and save my back) is lock my arms and drop my center of gravity by bending my knees (this keeps my back straight). It gives my legs a decent workout, but saves my back. 

hope this helps

See, I told ya. The Gamo Urban always gets mentioned. It’s just like my BSA Ultra SE, no problem with a hand pump. My Taipan Veteran was the straw that broke the camels back when it came to buying a compressor. I used to hand pump my Impact. Had to drink a protein shake before I started. But like someone else mentioned, if you don’t want to work on a gun or have a bunch of extra crap just to shoot it, get a really good springer. Not one of those box store plastic cannons. My TX200 is a marvelous rifle and will match a PCP at normal distances.

I have 4 PCPs, 2 hand pumps, and a Shoebox F10 compressor with Guppy bottle. I use my hand pumps more then my compressor because I only shoot about 20-30 shots, then pump. If I target shoot a lot, then I fill my bottle and refill off of that. I have a Veteran short .22, Edgun R2M .25, BSA R10 SE, and a Gauntlet. I fill two of my guns to 220-225 Bar. Yes, I use the pump to fill them all for short shooting sessions. I'm 53 and in shape, I run 3 times a week, lots of cardio and core weight training. Doesn't mean you have to be in shape to use the hand pump, just take your time on the last part of the down stroke and make sure you go all the way down, and let the pump cool. I recommend the pump for people starting out, the Chinese import pumps seem to work pretty good, just let them cool down and use the proper silicone oil on the seals. I have a China pump and a Hill pump, and both work perfect.

When I got my Hatsan Flash QE .22, I got a Hill MK4 hand pump for it. It has a small-enough reservoir on it, so it "only" took about 150 pumps to take it from 1500 psi to 3000. Not so bad. You do fifty at a time so as not to heat up the pump and in a few minutes, you're there. Oh, did I mention my Hill pump is for sale in the member classifieds? I found a 45-min SCBA tank and that was it for pumping. 

So to your question, springers are great, I have one and love it, but figure out a way to shoot a PCP and you won't regret it.