• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Hand loading pellets vs. Mag fed

What ImpactX said plus, some mags are better than others when it comes to aligning the pellet with both the exit hole (from the mag) and also the barrel inlet, in a repeatable way. If it's a spring loaded mag that relationship can change as you shoot. First pellet will be holding back more spring pressure than the last.... 

I've had some mags that were truly BAD but also many that had little or no effect. I have a gun on my wall that I simply don't shoot because of the mags but am embarrassed to sell it. 

I think the reality is that most folks will never notice the diff unless they get a really bad example but when you are shooting 50+ yards on a target and see a clear difference, it stands out.

You'll only know about your gun/mag, if you test your gun enough to form a real opinion. But then again, single loading without a quality SS tray is just as likely to be as bad as a mediocre mag. 

Quick edit... I'm referring to marring the head of the pellet moreso than skirt.

This has become a topic of considerable discussion. A shooter's opinion of it depends partly on his/her use, and the expectation of a certain level of accuracy. After owning and shooting over 20 mag fed PCP rifles, and assuming one has an expectation of precision accuracy, I can offer this experience. The only air rifle I have shot which performed as well with the mag as without, was a Taipan Veteran. It's magazine has no spring actuation, and it functions almost as a rotating s/s loading tray. I would guess that 80-90% of all magazine rifles shoot well enough from the mag to satisfy their owners' uses. I've had only a couple that shot downright poorly from the mag. And, I can't be sure if the problem with them was the magazine itself, or the actuation system of the rifle, as either could contribute to a problem. But I would never shoot in any competitive environment with a magazine, why introduce a variable that can only be potentially negative? If I shoot 10 groups each, with and without the magazine, with any of my rifles, the single shot groups are always better. Some folks would see the groups and say, "that's not a lot of difference". No, but what's the difference between a 9 and 10 ring? Any measurable difference will put you out of a ring. And my worst offenders could put you out 3 rings! 

Loading pellets into the breech by hand can make a measurable difference in match accuracy. As in most springers you can feel the pellet fit in the breech if a pcp offers the thumb room. If the fit isn't the same each time, it can cost you points. Pee wees, for example have a notorious effect on accuracy. In FT, we used to be able to blow off a bad pellet into the ground with no penalty - except maybe time. Don't know the current rules.

Certain rifles, such as the TM 1000, are designed to be hand loaded for accuracy - by your MK I thumb, not a tray.

Totally understand “hand” loading for the powder burner cartridges, and the reasons/importance behind it.. Another term is reloading. Put that extensive hobby aside to enjoy air guns. Open a tin, load into a Marauder magazine, and go.

Didn’t realize “hand” loading would spill on over to this pcp hobby. I guess with the coming of competitive events like EBR, this would lead us to these measures. 

Sigh....whatever happened to the days of just grabbing a tin of beeman silver arrows, an R10, and head out to the woods for a day shooting at oak balls, pine cones, bottle caps, and expelled shotgun casings.

Didn’t realize “hand” loading would spill on over to this pcp hobby. I guess with the coming of competitive events like EBR, this would lead us to these measures. 

Sigh....whatever happened to the days of just grabbing a tin of beeman silver arrows, an R10, and head out to the woods for a day shooting at oak balls, pine cones, bottle caps, and expelled shotgun casings.

Those days are alive and well here! Everytime I try position shooting, only to discover I'm lucky to hit the berm, or shoot a couple of 2 MOA groups, it's back to plinking for me....never fails to reward.

I bought a single shot loader for my Marauder when I first got into pcp guns. Like the hand pump, I used it twice, then decided right there and then if I ever need to hand load one at a time or desire to do so, out comes the Beeman RX1 break barrel gun. A mag fed air rifle is one of the main reasons I got into pcp guns.

But, to contradict myself, whenever I’m testing out hand loads on a centerfire cartridge rifle at the range, I single load my rounds one at a time, shot after shot. I load my bullets in lightly loose fit into the brass and don’t want the bullets getting cock eyed in the mag well with the rounds stacked on top of each other, know what I mean? Spent a lot of time making sure all was concentric with each other